Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just noticed that the name "Acura" does not appear anywhere on my TLX. You'd never know it was an Acura if it wasn't for the license plate frame with my dealer's name.

Is this a deliberate marketing decision or did they forget something at the factory?

Also, it does say TLX on the back, but doesn't say anything else about which version and package. I happen to have the Advance package.

This is different than most other brands. I don't have a problem with it, but am wondering about the reasons.

Anyone know?

·
Registered
438 Posts
while nissan and toyota show their trim level on the trunk, i think many luxury cars do not show actual trim levels on their cars. lexus for example

my guess is that they want to go the simplistic/minimalist design approach on their cars so the cars dont look cluttered with words?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's OK but tell me another brand that doesn't have it's name anywhere on the car. I haven't seen a Lexus without a "Lexus" on it, and the Mercedes I just traded in had no problem letting the world know it was a Mercedes "Blutech." Acura must have a reason to not identify the TLX as an Acura--at least I hope so.

·
Registered
438 Posts
isnt MB's bluetec just their name for diesel technology, not necessarily a "brand"? just like cars that use flexfuel such as some fords.

and come to think of it, audi never had the word "audi" on the outside either, just the four rings logo. volkswagon too

and honda as well, so i think it's up the manufacturer whether they wanna put the "word" on their cars

·
Registered
228 Posts
I don't really think that Acura needs its name on the vehicle. Its all about branding. Acura's emblem is very recognizable, along with its front grille. That's all they need to mark a vehicle as an Acura.

Apple products don't say "Apple" on them. They just have the symbol and that is good enough to have customers recognize the brand.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
So I just did an unscientific study. I biked around my community for an hour or two and saw around 200 cars in driveways. Here's my conclusion: No Conclusion!

Around 50% of the cars had the brand on the trunk and 50% did not. It had nothing to do with price range or "status." For example, the Jaguar's, Volvo's, Infinity's, Lincoln's, Porsche's, and most Lexus's (Lexii?) I saw had their names visible. Most Acura's did too. Avalon's had the Toyota badge, but Camry's did not. BMW did not. Mercedes did not, but did have tech info on many. Kia's were all badged, but Hyundai's were mixed.

My hypotheses: Older cars are most likely to have brand ID on their rear ends and newer cars are more likely to just depend on the logo. The decision is probably a marketing decision depending on the car's target demographic.

One other thing. A friend working at marketing headquarters for a Detroit manufacturer tells me that models with big price variation between basic and loaded are usually badged with the special tech stuff to recognize the buyer's extra cost. When I mentioned the $14,000 difference between the base TLX and the top of the line, he said his company would want to differentiate them. Words like "hybrid," "V6," All Wheel Drive," etc., are commonly used where appropriate.

Again, he said only the brain of an Acura marketing executive knows what message the company is trying to send.

As I said, this is only a trivia question, but it was interesting pursuing it.

·
Registered
430 Posts
A for Acura...

BMW doesnt write out BMW anywhere on the car but the logo, Mercedes doesnt write out MERCEDES BENZ (ok maybe on door sills and similar) same goes for Audi.

But thats what the A is, or the brand is, a symbol that communicates the sum of your experiences with the car, writing out ACURA doesn't change the sum of those experiences...

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Just walking around the parking lot at work, I see that fairly new TLs and TSXs had ACURA spelled out on the left side of the trunk. I guess it still happens. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's my point. Until recently, all Acura's were branded with the name in addition to the logo. It worked fine for them before, so why did they change it now? Maybe they want to be more like BMW & Mercedes. I have no problem with it either way. I just want to understand their reasoning.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i heard that acura is trying to enter the mainland chinese market this year as well, though with only a few models

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.