Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I was wondering if anyone had played around with that.
I own a 2018 TLX V6 SH-AWD and I find the transmission to be trash. Specifically its programming...

After test driving a friend's series 3 that is a 4 cyl and has less power, I really felt the difference, it's significantly more responsive, because it's better programmed...

It just goes in high gears too fast too soon, particularly after accelerating / braking / re-accelerating. I'd like it to just stay in the lower gear for a second or two more.
Anyone did some modifications? A small change like that would really improve my experience.

Basically just after accelerating, stay in gear for an extra two seconds before it starts upshifting. That's it.

But not the Sport+ mode where it gratuitously stays at 3000-4000 rpm when I'm cruising. All I want is just generally slower downshifting. I bet it's just a single number to change in the program and it would be done...

·
Registered
2017 Acura TLX 2.4 w/ Tech Package
10 Posts
Have you found any information about this? I have a 2017 2.4 TLX Tech and have been noticing my transmission has been a little jerky when I brake. I’ve been thinking about telling the dealer since I still have my warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found nothing at all, people only seem to want extra horsepower... All the ECU tunes are for extra horsepower... I don't want more horsepower, the motor is great, and its output of 82hp per liter of displacement might not be super high, but it means more reliability and a total of 290 is still plenty... I just want to be able to transmit properly to the wheels what this wonderful v6 already has.

I have mostly driven manuals (cars or motorcycles) in the past, so I never had the aggressive downshift problem before... I was the one downshifting ... Putting the car in sport mode seems to do nothing except make the steering heavier, and sport+, as I mentioned, keeps does give torque, but keeps revs too high for normal driving.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well definitely if you haven't had your car serviced since last Nov, which is when this update was released, you are on an older version.
My guess is that you can only find out with OBD2 or other similar thing.
I had mine serviced last fall and my next service is due in a month or so (it says oil 20%, waiting till it gets to 15 or 10 to schedule this) ; so I'll have it updated then

I don't think it will solve the fundamentally meh programming that this transmission has, but it seems like it will improve a bit of the jerkiness at slow speeds, so I'll take it!

·
Registered
2017 Acura TLX 2.4 w/ Tech Package
10 Posts
I got my tlx serviced a few weeks ago but they haven’t said anything about a transmission update. The dealer I have been going to is really crappy so I’m going to try to plug in my obd2 reader tool and see if I can see through there. If not, I guess I’ll have to fight the dealership to do it for me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts