Acura TLX Forum banner

How would you describe the behavior of your TLX 8 speed DCT transmission?

• Perfect: absolutely no problems ever

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Excellent: only very few or minor shifting issues

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • Good: occasional but not severe issues

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • Fair: frequent or severe behavior

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Poor: frequent and severe....very unhapy

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Several members have recently asked about the extent of transmission issues and driver satisfaction with the two different transmissions in the TLX.

This Poll is for the 8 speed DCT ONLY....please only vote in reference to this transmission. Comments of course are always encouraged if you want to discuss your specific experiences.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I checked in with an "excellent" because of how responsive it is to my input in different IDS modes. Love how it pulls away from a standing stop to the cruising speed. Sport+ mode is very cool. Great for downshifting through and accelerating out of sweeping turns as well as gearing down while hustling down the grades. High gear in Econ mode with cruise control yields 36+ mpg (amazing, to me, for a car of this size and weight.) Normal is perfect for blending in with the traffic flow, while sport just makes me want to run to the front of the pack. 8 speed DCT makes my TLX fun to drive!

Reactions: aronj

·
Registered
164 Posts
This took me more than a few minutes to answer. I was really unhappy when I first purchased back in September. More than a few trips back to my regional Acura Spa, I'm pretty much satisfied with the tranny's performance. There's still a hesitation that I can live with that I'll bring up to the techs when Sybil goes back in for her first oil change. I can now give the 8 speed kudos for it's super smooth feel now. Practically can't feel them now. For this, I'm very happy.

:DSport mode continues to be my smiley place.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I checked in with an "excellent" because of how responsive it is to my input in different IDS modes. Love how it pulls away from a standing stop to the cruising speed. Sport+ mode is very cool. Great for downshifting through and accelerating out of sweeping turns as well as gearing down while hustling down the grades. High gear in Econ mode with cruise control yields 36+ mpg (amazing, to me, for a car of this size and weight.) Normal is perfect for blending in with the traffic flow, while sport just makes me want to run to the front of the pack. 8 speed DCT makes my TLX fun to drive!
Excellent transmission. Recent software upgrade makes it exceptionally smooth. Had an occasional sticky shift over the winter at startup, but the the new software appears to have solved this minor problem.
The overdrive is amazing and the new upgrade more readily downshifts with rpm below 1500 if throttle is lightly applied. Continued fantastic mileage except in heavy traffic in Annapolis.

·
Registered
1 Posts
For me it is difficult to vote on this poll, as rating names in my opinion do not match their descriptions, to the level of being misleading. For example, "Good: occasional but not severe issues" - even occasional issues with TRANSMISSION is not my expectation for Honda, even less Acura. Thus no vote. And yes, the transmission has a defect intermittently failing to switch properly at low gears, at relatively low temperatures. And - NO, it is not good.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The poll is an attempt for people to get a sense of others experiences. As an owner of a 2G TL which had two failed transmissions, I would categorize "Good" as a transmission that has only occasional but not severe issues. Of course this is subjective and of course Good could have a wide range of descriptions...that is why I gave a description. I do not think that it is possible to write a perfect description that everyone would agree upon the criteria, nor did I try. If you prefer, pretend that the word descriptions are numbers with 5 being absolutely no problems ever. I actually was going to use numbers but then figured everyone would say "well mine is a 3.5".

Appreciate the feedback, vote based upon the vague and non-specific description if you want....or not.

My 3G has an Excellent transmission btw. I only notice the slightest of bumps after 197,000 miles of all original parts....and I don't even consider the bumps to be unusual.
This is a poll created to give potential buyers a sense of what others have experienced. Hope that it helps someone.

·
Registered
979 Posts
when i first got the car, i thought that there was a bit of hesitation/lag when on the decel coming to a stop; but if i didn't come to a complete stop and i hit the gas there was a bit of jerkey-ness and delay. now the car doesn't do that, i think it was because i was used to driving manual for so long and when it's in gear you get that instant response where a automatic it's about to shift into neutral.

aside from that, my driveway is on a little bit of an incline and now and then it's shifts out of park a little hard if i take off the ebrake before shifting out of park. otherwise it's a great transmission very quick, works great with the I4 powerband and saves gas at 110km/h i'm only revving at 1900rpm. every other honda i've owned it would be close to 3000rpm in 5th or 6th.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.