Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Long story short.

• 2015 TLX V6 Tech
  • CPO - (was a loaner vehicle at the dealership)
  • 4000 Miles on ODO
Car shifts felt funny, then on the way home one day, I heard it mis-shift from 3rd > 4th (could have been 4th > 5th). Problem persisted throughout the drive home. Didn't drive the car after that, brought it to the dealership. Service tech identified it as a "LEAKING FRONT TRANSMISSION COVER/PLATE". They ordered a new one from Acura that is supposedly an updated kit with a new plate and gasket.

My TLX has been at the dealership for 3 weeks now and the parts are no where in sight. I don't understand how it can take this long to ship a seemingly simple replacement part. I was a Lexus driver for many years and decided to give Acura another go, and this is what I get. Needless to say, this is not building the most confidence in my future purchases.

I tried to get the dealership to replace the car for me, as in- give me another TLX of equal value. I only had it for (2) weeks before this happened, and barely drove it for 600 miles. They offered me 75% value for my car, and offered another TLX with 6000 more miles than mine, for even higher than what I paid for mine. I laughed quite out loud. Wow, highway robbery. I understand depreciation, but to lose 7 grand in 2 weeks is complete nonsense. Sales guys and sales managers who were previously helpful prior to me buying my car, now suddenly became bagelheads.

Lexus dealers never treated me this way. They were always willing to go the distance to keep their clients happy. This has been the worst car buying experience thus far. But I will say that the service advisor has been very helpful and taken care of my concerns exeptionally. Other than the service department, I will not likely deal with any of the sales staff there again.

Venting over.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
That's unfortunate. Dealers don't seem to realize the impact their attitude has on future sales. Works spreads so quickly.

I will say that it's not brand wide. My dealer has been fantastic each time I've been in not that it helps you or your situation any.

Let us know how it works out. The wait that you're having to endure isn't right. The car is still under the manufacturer's warranty obviously. Did you call Acura customer service?

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Long story short.

• 2015 TLX V6 Tech
  • CPO - (was a loaner vehicle at the dealership)
  • 4000 Miles on ODO
Car shifts felt funny, then on the way home one day, I heard it mis-shift from 3rd > 4th (could have been 4th > 5th). Problem persisted throughout the drive home. Didn't drive the car after that, brought it to the dealership. Service tech identified it as a "LEAKING FRONT TRANSMISSION COVER/PLATE". They ordered a new one from Acura that is supposedly an updated kit with a new plate and gasket.

My TLX has been at the dealership for 3 weeks now and the parts are no where in sight.

Lexus dealers never treated me this way. They were always willing to go the distance to keep their clients happy. This has been the worst car buying experience thus far. But I will say that the service advisor has been very helpful and taken care of my concerns exeptionally. Other than the service department, I will not likely deal with any of the sales staff there again.

Venting over.
Definitely for the next step, contact Acura Customer Relations if you are still unhappy with the situation after venting. Let your feelings be known to those that may be able to help. :)

Please keep us up to date with your progress or lack thereof.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
andre12dbsi, Summest :

Thanks for your inputs. I have contacted Acura Client Relations. I missed a call from their district case manager yesterday. And then of course, boom! I received a call from my advisor saying that the part has arrived and they've installed it. The only thing left is for me to authorize a 50 mile test drive to make sure all is good. It could have been coincidental that the events lined up that way. I've voiced my concerns without bashing anyone at the dealership. Because, at the end of the day, everyone's trying to make a living and I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble.

And you y'all (pardon my Texan) are right, this is not something I imagine is a brand-wide behavior, but that of the particular people I've dealt with. You should have seen the look my girlfriend gave the sales manager when he made that $29 grand offer to buy my car back, after only 2 weeks of owning it in addition to the many hours I've wasted there.

The salesman who sold me my car has not been around to follow up, and when it came to getting me a loaner, he made no efforts to get a decent vehicle. I'm not asking for an RLX, but I was provided a smelly TL for 2 days, then having to come switch it out for another TL for 2 more days, this time with broken suspension. Finally, my service advisor got into the mix and pulled a 2016 ILX for me, and said I can keep it for as long as my car is in the dealership. I work in the engineered sales industry, and we'd never ignore any of our clients like that. The whole experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth with this dealership, not to mention the girlfriend is pissed for dragging her to the dealership that day. My family has bought (6) Acuras, 3 of which from this dealer, and my first from them. The likelihood of us doing business with them again seems slim to none. I will likely pay more next time to go back to Lexus. I get that doesn't sound right, being on a TLX forum. But as a consumer, that is my feelings at the moment.

I'll keep you updated on the transmission after getting my car back.
http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/members/summest.html

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
@chris03tl,

Please try your post again.

Your post showed up as moderated and your posts showed 0. Normally this would indicate a SPAM message that was posted incorrectly.

Please try again, as your comments seemed appropriate to the topic.

If this was your first post, Welcome to the Forum!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
andre12dbsi, Summest :

Thanks for your inputs. I have contacted Acura Client Relations.

As long as your issue is still outstanding and you provide updates, we will leave this thread open and visible in this section.

Definitely keep Acura Customer Relations up to date with the latest issues/complaints, if only to vent.

I believe you can also post comments with NHTSA.gov.

Sorry to hear about the aggravation. I hope you can get back on track and be a happy driver again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
andre12dbsi, Summest :

Thanks for your inputs. I have contacted Acura Client Relations. I missed a call from their district case manager yesterday. And then of course, boom! I received a call from my advisor saying that the part has arrived and they've installed it. The only thing left is for me to authorize a 50 mile test drive to make sure all is good. It could have been coincidental that the events lined up that way. I've voiced my concerns without bashing anyone at the dealership. Because, at the end of the day, everyone's trying to make a living and I'm not trying to get anyone in trouble.

And you y'all (pardon my Texan) are right, this is not something I imagine is a brand-wide behavior, but that of the particular people I've dealt with. You should have seen the look my girlfriend gave the sales manager when he made that $29 grand offer to buy my car back, after only 2 weeks of owning it in addition to the many hours I've wasted there.

The salesman who sold me my car has not been around to follow up, and when it came to getting me a loaner, he made no efforts to get a decent vehicle. I'm not asking for an RLX, but I was provided a smelly TL for 2 days, then having to come switch it out for another TL for 2 more days, this time with broken suspension. Finally, my service advisor got into the mix and pulled a 2016 ILX for me, and said I can keep it for as long as my car is in the dealership. I work in the engineered sales industry, and we'd never ignore any of our clients like that. The whole experience has left a very sour taste in my mouth with this dealership, not to mention the girlfriend is pissed for dragging her to the dealership that day. My family has bought (6) Acuras, 3 of which from this dealer, and my first from them. The likelihood of us doing business with them again seems slim to none. I will likely pay more next time to go back to Lexus. I get that doesn't sound right, being on a TLX forum. But as a consumer, that is my feelings at the moment.

FUnny you mention your timeline of events.

I had a 2000 Accord that was one of the first with the dreaded auto transmission failures that plagued that generation of Hondas and Acuras. The new transmission was on backorder for "up to 3 months" according to the dealer. That was just not good enough (the car had 1200 miles on it!)

I called Honda corp (in NJ, I think?) and explained the situation. And much like your situation, the part mysteriously appeared a few days later.

I think they have some parts on hand for "squeaky wheels" that dont want to wait. Probably a good strategy, unless you arent a squeaky wheel and end up waiting even though the part is right there.

And as far as Lexus goes.....we're actually cross shopping between TLX and ES350. I have to say, the Lexus dealer experience has been a whole lot better. Havent found an Acura dealer that will let me take a TLX for a day, whereas Lexus offered that option during our initial short test drive. And I took them up on it (currently driving a loaded ES350 for a day or two)

·
Registered
144 Posts
It's threads like this that make me thankful for my dealer. I have now purchased one Acura TL and leased three other Acuras through this one dealership and salesman within the dealership and have been pleased with the service on each. When I have needed a loaner they have come through with a nice car and let me return it at my convience not theirs. I live 50 miles from the dealership so it is not simply jumping in the car and going a couple of blocks. In short they always act like they want me to be a return customer.:laugh:

Hopefully you get your TLX repaired and your salesman gets his attitude adjusted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I did get my car back on Friday. Service advisor went for a test drive with me before I signed off on it, the car drove fine. I took it to out of town to Houston over the weekend and put about 500 highway miles on it. I averaged 36 mpg during the trip. The transmission is good now, the 2 > 3 shift is still a bit rough, but that was like that from the beginning.

I never bothered to speak to any of the sales guys again. But i did thank my service advisor for what he's done. They told me that they did speak to the person from Acura Client Relations about my car after I called them (ACR). The dealership also said that the parts were sent out (3) times, (2) of which was lost in transit. That sounds a little off to me, because these days you are provided some form of tracking with almost any sort of shipment. Overall, I'm just glad to get my car back. The ILX was ok, but it was very loud on the road. What a difference being back in the TLX.

I still will not buy another vehicle from this dealership.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Buying a loaner type vehicle, did they give you any kind of extra warranty coverage or anything? Id suspect that many of those vehicles don't exactly get treated that well by the people that borrow them.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Buying a loaner type vehicle, did they give you any kind of extra warranty coverage or anything? Id suspect that many of those vehicles don't exactly get treated that well by the people that borrow them.

The warranty got bumped to 6 years, 72K miles.
I purchased the PSC for 100K miles as well.

I get the risk of purchasing the loaner vehicle. I figured at 4000 mile, the risk was minimal. The car was very clean, no body damage whatsoever. It was an acceptable risk vs saving for me. I'm not worried about the problems, as there is plenty of warranty mileage left. I was just ticked about the way the whole situation was handled.

·
Registered
8 Posts
My car is back in with same issue. transmission fluid gushing out of car. dealer has had it for 19 of the 35 days I've owned it with many issues. I asked them to buy the car back today. This car was not Ready for Prime Time. The transmission issues are so very disappointing. 150,000 miles on my 2005 TL I traded in and saw the dealer for service for one recall ONLY. Bummed I bought this car.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Lexus service... I vowed never to but another Lexus after what I went through with our RX300 Toyota/Lexus oil sludge issue.... years later the engine seized. I am crazy about maintenance, did an oil change every 3000 miles.. what engine seizes in today's cars. I am convinced it was from the oil sludge issue. They didn't help in any way... well they did, I sold it to a Lexus mechanic at the dealership.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Lexus service... I vowed never to but another Lexus after what I went through with our RX300 Toyota/Lexus oil sludge issue.... years later the engine seized. I am crazy about maintenance, did an oil change every 3000 miles.. what engine seizes in today's cars. I am convinced it was from the oil sludge issue. They didn't help in any way... well they did, I sold it to a Lexus mechanic at the dealership.
That sucks. I can't believe they didn't help you out.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts