Acura TLX Forum banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
You missed the point, based on costs indys are limited unless they specialize on few brands! Most indy shops are not. Secondly u are wrong, lets just say I was heavily involved in Chrysler the development of diagnostics software, and hardware which was unique to Chrysler under Benz. Was way too costly for indys and did not have the corporate backing as the dealers! BTW the Mass right to repair law is only under the state of Mass and does govern nationwide, not only that the law is narrow since it goes beyond auto repair. Its considered weak at best!
A nationwide bill is only being considered.
You are going off on the weeds since no one is questioning tech capability.
So this started as the OP wanting to know if his quote from the dealer was high. Short answer : most likely based on actual invoices from other members. May depend on where you are located.

The rest of your posts so far are speculation at best, and its clear you’ve never actually worked for an independent repair facility. They all own multi-brand scan tools like Snap-On, Autel, Bosch/OTC, OPUS, etc and those are very comprehensive. If they need something special, they can buy a 1-3 day subscription to the OEM software, use their J2534 interface and be just like the dealer, including module programming and immobilizer. Honda is $45 for 24 hour access. That’s not cost prohibitive to any repair shop (or DIYer)

Just so you have the actual facts, after Mass R2R was passed in 2012 the other 49 states signed a MOU recognizing and adopting it, to avoid having to go to their legislatures. Almost all the OEMs signed on. No idea where you get your info from but that kind of stuff is really easy to Google if you were not part of when it passed. There is no nationwide bill in consideration. There is a MassR2R 2.0 which just passed which is telematics data. Do everyone a favor and read up before you bloviate. NASTF.org can help you.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Good you know how to cut and paste! If you really were educated you would know an MOU is not a legal doc! You would also know the MOU does not offer Automakers to provide proprietary interface, only standard interface. It also hasn’t been determined if German and some tightly closed Japanese automakers will agree and follow, a non legal “doc of understanding”! So when you really are educated enough rather than cut and paste come back with factual knowledge! Nothing I said was speculative! Its fact!
What does working in an indy shop have to do with it! Oh forgot it gives you the knowledge what goes on during the development of the hardware and software tools and have total knowledge of proprietary legal protections! Nice try! Keep cutting and pasting!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Good you know how to cut and paste! If you really were educated you would know an MOU is not a legal doc! You would also know the MOU does not offer Automakers to provide proprietary interface, only standard interface. It also hasn’t been determined if German and some tightly closed Japanese automakers will agree and follow, a non legal “doc of understanding”! So when you really are educated enough rather than cut and paste come back with factual knowledge! Nothing I said was speculative! Its fact!
What does working in an indy shop have to do with it! Oh forgot it gives you the knowledge what goes on during the development of the hardware and software tools and have total knowledge of proprietary legal protections! Nice try! Keep cutting and pasting!
This is some of the most convoluted stuff you’ve posted yet. You should actually read the R2R bill. Anyone that wants to buy the OEM hardware can, and its available on their aftermarket websites through their dealer tool & equipment programs. & Yes, I worked for an OEM supplier and I currently work for an OEM supplier developing and manufacturing interface tools.

You are a complete trainwreck and really not good at making $hit up as you go. Give it a rest.

·
Registered
277 Posts
This is some of the most convoluted stuff you’ve posted yet. You should actually read the R2R bill. Anyone that wants to buy the OEM hardware can, and its available on their aftermarket websites through their dealer tool & equipment programs. & Yes, I worked for an OEM supplier and I currently work for an OEM supplier developing and manufacturing interface tools.

You are a complete trainwreck and really not good at making $hit up as you go. Give it a rest.
No use, you have to be right! Talk about train wrecks! So tell us what interface tools have you developed and what protocols are you very knowledgable about? Seems I forced the cat out of the bag, pretty typical flippant response, when one has only has limited knowledge and is called out!
Funny how you have no clue example, you went on about the “MOU (memorandum of understanding) as law. When its not, Its only leverage is an agreement on behalf of third party not to lobby for right to repair laws! Yet you go on like its a law! Seems your credibility is lax! Nuff said!
See ya, have a good weekend!
I’m done with your sophomoric banter!

·
Registered
192 Posts
@TLX_A-Spec totally your prerogative to have the dealer do service work. The point we are making is a motorist has choices. Anyone can go the Honda website and purchase short-term access to their service information. Anyone with a SAE J2534-2 compliant interface can use their iHDS software. Most procedures are not difficult if you have some technical ability and can follow instructions. Only thing a non-licensed professional cannot do is IMMO, which requires a VSP credential.
There are definitely independent shops which specialize in specific brands and may have access to the requisite software. I'm not arguing against that. I'm simply stating that from a risk perspective given the history of these transmissions, I'd lean towards my Acura dealership for servicing of the transmission. This in part is due to the relationship I've developed with my dealership over the years, but also if something unique arises they have the backing of Acura engineers which may be especially important in resolving the issue. Though, once the powertrain warranty expires, I can appreciate the higher cost for fluids and labor may make the decision for folks to transition to an independent shop or to do it themselves.

·
Registered
31 Posts
No use, you have to be right! Talk about train wrecks! So tell us what interface tools have you developed and what protocols are you very knowledgable about? Seems I forced the cat out of the bag, pretty typical flippant response, when one has only has limited knowledge and is called out!
Funny how you have no clue example, you went on about the “MOU (memorandum of understanding) as law. When its not, Its only leverage is an agreement on behalf of third party not to lobby for right to repair laws! Yet you go on like its a law! Seems your credibility is lax! Nuff said!
See ya, have a good weekend!
I’m done with your sophomoric banter!
You are probably still living in your parents basement. The MOU was signed by all parties affirming and agreeing to Mass R2R so they would not have to legislate it 49 more times. You are worse than A dumpster fire because you are misleading others. Not sure if thats because you are delusional or just ignorant. Either way, I’m embarrased for you since the docs are easily obtainable online and can be read by anyone.

Yes, I am very familiar with J1850VPW, J1850PWM, ISO9141, ISO15765, ISO22900, Honda Diag-H, KWP2000, GM SWCAN, GM UART, Ford DCL, Chrysler SCI. Chrysler CCD, MSCAN, UBP, FD-CAN & DoIP. I worked on the GM Tech1A, Tech2, MDI; Honda PGMFI, Toyota Intelligent Tester; Nissan Consult 2; Ford VCMII. I now work for a global supplier to both OEMs and independent for J2534 hardware and diagnostic software, including those elusive “sub-codes” you claim no one else can display. Honda is a global customer of mine.

The Honda tool (Denso DST-i) can be purchased direct from the SnapOn tool program, so your entire assertion that dealership tools are not available is flat wrong (along with almost every other misinformed point you attempted to make). You are confusing opinion with facts
and look like a complete ignorant buffoon.

·
Registered
24 Posts
There are videos online that show you how to change the trans fluid. It looks like a PIA. You must raise the car up but keep it level while changing the fluid. I have a 2016 and it was worth the $150 to change.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2016 TLX V6
I think the service manager was lying let's see.
I told him that it vibrated just a little at the bottom or top end of some gears.
He said they could do a transmission fluid change that takes an hour and a half.
It's a special process that can only be done at an Acura Dealship.
It is $495,00
He stated that if I went anywhere else my transmission would be ruined.
I find that hard to believe.
Can I change it myself or should I go to an oil change place. They charge under $200.00
YOU MUST BE AT THE WRONG DEALERSHIP. .. .
SOUNDS LIKE AN AMERICAN ONE. . NOT GOOD!!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts