Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 TLX V6
I think the service manager was lying let's see.
I told him that it vibrated just a little at the bottom or top end of some gears.
He said they could do a transmission fluid change that takes an hour and a half.
It's a special process that can only be done at an Acura Dealship.
It is $495,00
He stated that if I went anywhere else my transmission would be ruined.
I find that hard to believe.
Can I change it myself or should I go to an oil change place. They charge under $200.00

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tuka.

Honda/Acura has always been partial to their brake and transmission fluid. For awhile they threatened that if you didn't use the correct fluid that it would void the warranty but that was put to rest. So now they say it will ruin your transmission because it requires their special fluid.

I think that it is weird that you don't even get a dipstick to check the amount of fluid.

When mine came up with A13, Change Transmission Fluid, I took it to the Honda dealer, 30 miles away, instead of the Acura dealer, 110 miles away. By doing so it only cost me $250.

Reactions: Crashmaster

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
When mine came up with A13, Change Transmission Fluid, I took it to the Honda dealer, 30 miles away, instead of the Acura dealer, 110 miles away. By doing so it only cost me $250.
Good to know!! But here the Honda dealer is next door to the Acura dealer, owned by the same people!! I'll see if I can negotiate!!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Most reputable repair shops have a transmission flush machine. The last place I worked at (a National Franchise repairer) charged around $225 for regular ATF and added a premium for full synthetic. We recommended new ATF every 30K-50K, most vehicles got it around 60-75K. Generally speaking, over 100K it is a very bad idea to touch it (if its still original fluid) as you will dramatically increase the probability of transmission failure (the suspended particles are holding it all together).

I had full synthetic in my 06 GTO, changed it at 30k intervals, sold the car at 75k with zero issues. My wife’s 07 Avalanche was done every 50K, has 147k in it and still shifts like new. Its due for its 150K service soon.

Just my 2 cents from someone who is a 30+ year industry repair guy.

The quote you got from Acura is very high from the National average. Where are you located? These guys are the best supplier in the industry: BG

·
Registered
277 Posts
2016 TLX V6
I think the service manager was lying let's see.
I told him that it vibrated just a little at the bottom or top end of some gears.
He said they could do a transmission fluid change that takes an hour and a half.
It's a special process that can only be done at an Acura Dealship.
It is $495,00
He stated that if I went anywhere else my transmission would be ruined.
I find that hard to believe.
Can I change it myself or should I go to an oil change place. They charge under $200.00
He’s not lying to you! The Acura v6 transmission is a ZF 9 speed transmission which takes a special ATF (ATF 3.1), not readily available anywhere but at Acura, and Acura recommends changing out the fill plug and drain plug. The ATF is $25qt -$30qt and has special change procedure. The ZF trans has to be warmed up to a certain measured temp, drained then filled to the proper level by checking the fill level port.
Most dealer charge between $325 to $450.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Most reputable repair shops have a transmission flush machine. The last place I worked at (a National Franchise repairer) charged around $225 for regular ATF and added a premium for full synthetic. We recommended new ATF every 30K-50K, most vehicles got it around 60-75K. Generally speaking, over 100K it is a very bad idea to touch it (if its still original fluid) as you will dramatically increase the probability of transmission failure (the suspended particles are holding it all together).

I had full synthetic in my 06 GTO, changed it at 30k intervals, sold the car at 75k with zero issues. My wife’s 07 Avalanche was done every 50K, has 147k in it and still shifts like new. Its due for its 150K service soon.

Just my 2 cents from someone who is a 30+ year industry repair guy.

The quote you got from Acura is very high from the National average. Where are you located? These guys are the best supplier in the industry: BG
Acura V6 9 speed ZF takes special ATF (ATF 3.1) No flush machine due to a special change procedure. The ATF is not readily avail, only at Honda or Acura @ $25 to $30qt.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Acura V6 9 speed ZF takes special ATF (ATF 3.1) No flush machine due to a special change procedure. The ATF is not readily avail, only at Honda or Acura @ $25 to $30qt.
There is no fluid that is dealer only. Fluids (oil, trans, etc) are now application specific but are available from various suppliers. Expensive, yes, but so is just about everything else these days.

·
Super Moderator
441 Posts
I hope that you realize that the ZF transmissions are NOT made by Honda and are used in other manufactures cars. So anyone who tells you that ONLY Acura fluid MUST be used is selling you SNAKE OIL.

In fact the transmissions were developed for Fiat-Chrysler ( FCA ) by ZF Friedrichshafen Group ( ZF ) to build the first 9-speed automatic transmission for a consumer vehicle.

Reactions: Baugustine

·
Registered
277 Posts
Okay try and get 3.1 ZF 9 compatible fluid Not ZF 8 off the shelf! If you know where to get it tell us!
The only ones I found were Honda and ZF 9 from ZF themselves.
Don't need a history lesson on the German Company ZF! Their transmissions are in many autos. The Chrysler/ ZF 9 speed was developed mainly for the Jeep Cherokee rear wheeled drive. The current ZF 9 speed in Honda and Acura was developed by ZF itself to fit in front wheeled drive vehicles. 9 gears in a smaller package.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Same price at the dealer or online dealer catalogs.
There are quite a few parts we buy from the dealer. That is not the same as ”this can only be done by a dealer”. A consumer often hears a service advisor from the dealer tell him/her only they can perform certain jobs (repair or maintenance, in this case trans service). @mdd2018tlx and I are just clarifying when a dealer does that they are lying to the motorist.

·
Registered
277 Posts
There are quite a few parts we buy from the dealer. That is not the same as ”this can only be done by a dealer”. A consumer often hears a service advisor from the dealer tell him/her only they can perform certain jobs (repair or maintenance, in this case trans service). @mdd2018tlx and I are just clarifying when a dealer does that they are lying to the motorist.
Unless the indy shops know the special drain and fill procedure as outlined by Honda, than all bets are off with your statement.
The temp of the transmission has to be taken before drain and fill, research it!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Unless the indy shops know the special drain and fill procedure as outlined by Honda, than all bets are off with your statement.
The temp of the transmission has to be taken before drain and fill, research it!
You are assuming techs at indepedent repair facilities are dolts, which is wholly inaccurate. They have access to the exact same tools, service information and resources as a dealership thanks to Massachusets 2012 Right to Repair. You should research that.

·
Registered
31 Posts
@TLX_A-Spec totally your prerogative to have the dealer do service work. The point we are making is a motorist has choices. Anyone can go the Honda website and purchase short-term access to their service information. Anyone with a SAE J2534-2 compliant interface can use their iHDS software. Most procedures are not difficult if you have some technical ability and can follow instructions. Only thing a non-licensed professional cannot do is IMMO, which requires a VSP credential.

·
Registered
2015 TLX Advance V6
65 Posts
I used an independent shop for my TLX trans fluid change, they have specialized in Honda's and Acura's for over 20 yrs (also recommended by family). The cost was $230, on the invoice they showed the charge of the trans fluid (Honda 3.1) at $103. 12K miles later and there are no problems, Odometer now reads 98K miles.

Some Odyssey and MDX owners have used Valvoline Maxlife Multi -vehicle for their 9 speeds with no problems (you can do a search).
Rock auto shows Valvoline Maxlife for a replacement for Acura / Honda 3.1.

·
Registered
277 Posts
@TLX_A-Spec totally your prerogative to have the dealer do service work. The point we are making is a motorist has choices. Anyone can go the Honda website and purchase short-term access to their service information. Anyone with a SAE J2534-2 compliant interface can use their iHDS software. Most procedures are not difficult if you have some technical ability and can follow instructions. Only thing a non-licensed professional cannot do is IMMO, which requires a VSP credential.
Indys are limited, they do not have the tools to see
sub fault codes or data logging unique to each brand! The costs involved are too high! Secondly they do not have the means to provide software fixes. Based on the fact most indys are more spread over many manufacturers they definitly don’t buy the unique tools, diagnostic software, applications, subscriptions for software updates, or go to individual manufacturers schools over ALL the brands they service. The costs are too high. So no they are not dolts, but LIMITED!
The only Indys that invest in the resources needed are those who limit themselves by brands they service.
I guarantee the majority of indys cant service Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Corvette etc! So your wrong! Its no longer old school, its how much are they willing to pay to service vehicles.
Just based on a simple ATF change on the ZF9,
do you really think they have the capability to interrogate the change temp as outlined by the use of a Honda data logger. Maybe a few, but the majority I doubt it! U really think based on the volume of ZF9 they get in their shops they will buy a honda diag equipment! What you will get is a drain and fill without the temp as required by the Honda/ ZF maintenance guide!
This is the way of auto repair these days! Say what you will, but u could not be so wrong, unless u limit yourself to few brands, where the costs are justified due to limited brands.
It sounds like you have your nose bent out of shape based on your first post!

·
Registered
31 Posts
Indys are limited, they do not have the tools to see
sub fault codes or data logging unique to each brand! The costs involved are too high! Secondly they do not have the means to provide software fixes. Based on the fact most indys are more spread over many manufacturers they definitly don’t buy the unique tools, diagnostic software, applications, subscriptions for software updates, or go to individual manufacturers schools over ALL the brands they service. The costs are too high. So no they are not dolts, but LIMITED!
The only Indys that invest in the resources needed are those who limit themselves by brands they service.
I guarantee the majority of indys cant service Porsche, Lambo, Ferrari, Corvette etc! So your wrong! Its no longer old school, its how much are they willing to pay to service vehicles.
Just based on a simple ATF change on the ZF9,
do you really think they have the capability to interrogate the change temp as outlined by the use of a Honda data logger. Maybe a few, but the majority I doubt it! U really think based on the volume of ZF9 they get in their shops they will buy a honda diag equipment! What you will get is a drain and fill without the temp as required by the Honda/ ZF maintenance guide!
This is the way of auto repair these days! Say what you will, but u could not be so wrong, unless u limit yourself to few brands, where the costs are justified due to limited brands.
It sounds like you have your nose bent out of shape based on your first post!
My nose is not out joint in the least, but almost everything you have stated above is incorrect. Especially the part about diagnostic code reading and ECU programming. Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari aside, which is a specialty market, all the OEMs make their software available (by law) by subscription. I worked for Bosch for 11 years, an independent franchise repairer for 9 and currently work for a tool supplier to OEMs. We have over 80,000 customers in the ”indy“ who are very well versed in diagnostics and programming. These guys/gals and shops are professionals and can out-diagnose 95% of dealer techs because they do not have a parts department and dealer tech line to fall back on when they get stuck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
My nose is not out joint in the least, but almost everything you have stated above is incorrect. Especially the part about diagnostic code reading and ECU programming. Porsche, Lamborghini and Ferrari aside, which is a specialty market, all the OEMs make their software available (by law) by subscription. I worked for Bosch for 11 years, an independent franchise repairer for 9 and currently work for a tool supplier to OEMs. We have over 80,000 customers in the ”indy“ who are very well versed in diagnostics and programming. These guys/gals and shops are professionals and can out-diagnose 95% of dealer techs because they do not have a parts department and dealer tech line to fall back on when they get stuck.
You missed the point, based on costs indys are limited unless they specialize on few brands! Most indy shops are not. Secondly u are wrong, lets just say I was heavily involved in Chrysler the development of diagnostics software, and hardware which was unique to Chrysler under Benz. Was way too costly for indys and did not have the corporate backing as the dealers! BTW the Mass right to repair law is only under the state of Mass and does govern nationwide, not only that the law is narrow since it goes beyond auto repair. Its considered weak at best!
A nationwide bill is only being considered.
You are going off on the weeds since no one is questioning tech capability.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts