Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wondering if anyone has had their initial maintenance minder go off for the transmission fluid change? Trying to get an idea of when it might happen. With my previous cars I would change it every 30,000 miles... looking in the manual it calls out at 40,000 miles for hill or towing use. I don't tow but now with 43,000 milies on the car I am wondering when it is might be indicating its time for a change. At 50,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
Are you planning on changing it or have the dealer do it?

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure yet but how does that effect the change frequency?

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
It doesn't, I was just wondering since my manual says it has to be done by the dealer.

What really gets me is that I can't even find a way to check the fluid level.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I plan on changing it myself on my DCT. I have the factory instructions on how to do it. Both the DCT and 9-speed instructions are posted in pdf somewhere on this forum.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks but I'm not looking for instructions on how to replace but rather what is the change frequency for "normal" driving.

·
Premium Member
396 Posts
When I read my manual, it states :That driving regularly in mountainous regions at slow speeds, THEN change the transmission fluid at 40,000 miles. Otherwise wait until the Maintenance Minder tells you too.

I can not find anywhere where it says at what millage to normally change the fluid.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ya that is what I noticed too... my fear is that in doing my own oil changes I might have missed the MM to tell me. I think I'm OK given I only have 43,000 miles and I don't drive in the conditions that have you change it at 40,000.

Any bets if I call the stealer they will tell me it should be changed at 30,000 miles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I hate to jump in the middle but I’m curious also. My dealer says it should be changed every three years max. I have 16,500 miles on my 2015 and they told me it needed to be changed for warranty purposes. I’m thinking it’s time to find a new dealer.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Dealer will more than likely tell you to change it as that’s how they make money. By any chance have you been looking at what maintenance is due whenever you change your oil? E.G A1, B12, A13.

If so, have you seen the 3 show up as that is what tells you to change the transmission/transfer case fluid.

I too do my own oil changes, and about a month before it’s due I take a look at what service is due. That way I can order all of the parts I need.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I hate to jump in the middle but I’m curious also. My dealer says it should be changed every three years max. I have 16,500 miles on my 2015 and they told me it needed to be changed for warranty purposes. I’m thinking it’s time to find a new dealer.
They’re trying to make money. If you’re bored, get them to show you in the manual where it says that.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dealer will more than likely tell you to change it as that’s how they make money. By any chance have you been looking at what maintenance is due whenever you change your oil? E.G A1, B12, A13.
If so, have you seen the 3 show up as that is what tells you to change the transmission/transfer case fluid.

I too do my own oil changes, and about a month before it’s due I take a look at what service is due. That way I can order all of the parts I need.
Yes I do check to see what maintenance is due with oil changes and no I have not had a 3 show up.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I do check to see what maintenance is due with oil changes and no I have not had a 3 show up.
What year and how many miles are on your TLX. I don't think I missed the MM but just being paranoid. 3 years might be right but every 16,500 = Time for a new dealer.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It doesn't, I was just wondering since my manual says it has to be done by the dealer.

What really gets me is that I can't even find a way to check the fluid level.
I just had a fluid change on my 2015 TLX. I received a mailing from Acura. I have also recently (60K miles) had a transmission shift error, which caused me to limp into the nearest Acura dealer. They reset the codes and got me going. I cannot help but wonder if the very expensive change is a good way for Acura to void your future transmission waranty repairs because the service reccomendation was not met. The nine speed transmission has had problems since the beginning. Are we all paying this price because of their poor transmission engineering? That would be a good way to unload the problem on the customers.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I can say with 45K on mine and most all services done at the dealer that can be no excuse for them to "unload" it on me as it has never been pointed out to have it done yet by the dealer. I really don't think Acura would do that.

·
Super Moderator
1,044 Posts
The maintenance minder came up on mine at around 50,000. Since I had a transmission replaced at 30,000, they agreed that I should wait. I think that job will be left to the professionals (a.k.a. NOT me!).

Reactions: Gonzo

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've got a 2016 tlx. 4 cylinder with 50,000 miles. No maintenance minder yet on the transmission fluid. But, i thought it should be done after 3 yrs and 50k miles. Someone posted the instructions on this forum recently so I did it today. Super easy and I'm glad I tackled it myself. The dealer would have charged $149, I bought the fluid, funnel, and two washers for about $45. Took me about an hour.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2018 Acura TLX, 8 speed DCT, Technology Package
1,095 Posts
I've got a 2016 tlx. 4 cylinder with 50,000 miles. No maintenance minder yet on the transmission fluid. But, i thought it should be done after 3 yrs and 50k miles. Someone posted the instructions on this forum recently so I did it today. Super easy and I'm glad I tackled it myself. The dealer would have charged $149, I bought the fluid, funnel, and two washers for about $45. Took me about an hour.
Thanks for sharing this and welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Have you had a MM with an oil change indicator lately? I might be triggered with the next oil change needed.

Does this forum have a procedure for the Z9?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts