Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 TLX SH-AWDY
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My car is approaching 81k kms, and I am the second owner (purchased at 74k kms). I recently got an A3 maintenance minder pop up in my car to change my oil and to change my transmission/transfer fluid. I went and changed my oil but I did not change my transmission fluid/transfer fluid yet. Then I accidentally cleared the 3 maintenance minder at my oil change.
I can't really get the transmission/transfer fluid change until 1-2 months from now. I also had driven pretty aggressively while I owned it but I'm not sure how the first owner drove it. My question is: would it be bad for me to wait 1-2 months? Since my car won't be telling me when to immediately go in anymore, i'm not really sure what to do. Would it be too much of a risk to wait 1-2 months or do I have some time after I get the notification pop up to get my fluid changed?

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
314 Posts
Yeah thing is I wish I knew when the first owner did theirs because I have no idea..
There is no meaningful difference between 80k and 90k when it comes to getting a transmission fluid change done. You should get it done sooner than later but waiting 2 months is normally irrelevant. I will say that if you are driving it aggressively, I would encourage you to rethink waiting but if the car isn't shifting poorly....you don't have anything to really worry about.

·
Registered
2017 TLX SH-AWDY
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no meaningful difference between 80k and 90k when it comes to getting a transmission fluid change done. You should get it done sooner than later but waiting 2 months is normally irrelevant. I will say that if you are driving it aggressively, I would encourage you to rethink waiting but if the car isn't shifting poorly....you don't have anything to really worry about.
Thanks for that reply, helps a bunch. But what are some signs that my transmission is shifting poorly? How can I tell?

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
314 Posts
Thanks for that reply, helps a bunch. But what are some signs that my transmission is shifting poorly? How can I tell?
hard shifts (clunking) at odd times, engine revving during a gear change because it's lagging on a shift, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could try doing a basic tranny flush, I did that on my tlx when I got it at 94k. Also, ZF fluid is expensive af for Canadians so I used honda tranny fluid which is the exact same thing and saved me literal hundreds of dollars on the fluid. Car drives and has been driving perfect since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.