Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 TLX SH-AWDY
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is approaching 81k kms, and I am the second owner (purchased at 78k kms). I recently got an A3 maintenance minder pop up in my car to change my oil and to change my transmission/transfer fluid. I went and changed my oil but I did not change my transmission fluid/transfer fluid yet. Then I accidentally cleared the 3 maintenance minder at my oil change.
I can't really get the transmission/transfer fluid change until 1-2 months from now. I also had driven pretty aggressively while I owned it but I'm not sure how the first owner drove it. My question is: would it be bad for me to wait 1-2 months? Since my car won't be telling me when to immediately go in anymore, i'm not really sure what to do. Would it be too much of a risk to wait 1-2 months or do I have some time after I get the notification pop up to get my fluid changed?

·
Registered
19 Posts
The notification doesn't mean the fluid is at the end of it's life so you'll be fine. You should get it done sooner than later if you've never done it.

·
Registered
2017 TLX SH-AWDY
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The notification doesn't mean the fluid is at the end of it's life so you'll be fine. You should get it done sooner than later if you've never done it.
Yeah thing is I wish I knew when the first owner did theirs because I have no idea..

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
213 Posts
Yeah thing is I wish I knew when the first owner did theirs because I have no idea..
There is no meaningful difference between 80k and 90k when it comes to getting a transmission fluid change done. You should get it done sooner than later but waiting 2 months is normally irrelevant. I will say that if you are driving it aggressively, I would encourage you to rethink waiting but if the car isn't shifting poorly....you don't have anything to really worry about.

·
Registered
2017 TLX SH-AWDY
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no meaningful difference between 80k and 90k when it comes to getting a transmission fluid change done. You should get it done sooner than later but waiting 2 months is normally irrelevant. I will say that if you are driving it aggressively, I would encourage you to rethink waiting but if the car isn't shifting poorly....you don't have anything to really worry about.
Thanks for that reply, helps a bunch. But what are some signs that my transmission is shifting poorly? How can I tell?

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
213 Posts
Thanks for that reply, helps a bunch. But what are some signs that my transmission is shifting poorly? How can I tell?
hard shifts (clunking) at odd times, engine revving during a gear change because it's lagging on a shift, that kind of thing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could try doing a basic tranny flush, I did that on my tlx when I got it at 94k. Also, ZF fluid is expensive af for Canadians so I used honda tranny fluid which is the exact same thing and saved me literal hundreds of dollars on the fluid. Car drives and has been driving perfect since.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts