Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
636 Posts
Maintenance Under the Hood > Transmission Fluid

Will tell you that if you have the Dual Clutch Transmisson, that you should use Acura Automatic Transmisson Fluid ATF-Type 2.0.

And

If you have the regular Automatic Transmission, that you should use Acura Automatic Transmission Fluid ATF-Type 3.0.

In both cases your manual will state: “Have a dealer check the fluid level and replace if necessary. Do not attempt to check or change the automatic transmission fluid yourself.”

Using any other than the recommended transmission fluid for your vehicle could adversely affect the operation and durability of your vehicle’s transmission, and damage the transmission that would NOT be covered by your new car warranty.

You do have a Transmission Indicator light on the dash. Should this light start blinking, your manual states to have your vehicle inspected by a dealer.

Your manual does list under Specifications: the Dual Clutch Transmission fluid change capacity as 4.3 US quarts (4.1 liters). The regular 9 speed transmission is 3.5 US quarts (3.3 liters). These fluids are not cheap and MSRP for around $30 per quart last time I checked. Probably can be had from non-dealer sources cheaper.

I’m showing that a Maintenance Minder sub-code of 3 for the 6 cylinder engine (estimated Avg. Service Interval of 30,000 to 40,000 miles) is to replace your transmission fluid for both FWD and AWD vehicles.

I believe the fill plug is near/behind the fuse box under the hood with a plug that is stamped AFT. You will need a long funnel to gain access to it for filling. Best to measure how much fluid came out and then replace with same.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maintenance Under the Hood > Transmission Fluid

I believe the fill plug is near/behind the fuse box under the hood with a plug that is stamped AFT. You will need a long funnel to gain access to it for filling. Best to measure how much fluid came out and then replace with same.
I will give this a shot, sir. Mine is a 2.4 8speed.
Honda trannies are the easiest to take care of.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 8speed fill plug is on the top, mine has a red slash on it, maybe from factory.
It can be seen behind the battery, inline with the engine
The drain bolt is on the bottom.
But there is also a level bolt, which I am not too sure where it is located...

In this picture, you can see the fill bolt by in/out lines

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
Can one of you post the transmission drain bolt location for the TLX SH-AWD version. I assume it is under the undercover metal plate. If some one has a picture that would help. I did locate the fill bolt. It is next to the battery and can be reached from the top.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Here's the ATF replacement instructions for the ZF9. The fill bolt is accessed from the bottom of the car. The hole at the top of the transmission next to the battery is a breather hole and not designed to fill oil.

Thanks. Very helpful. The "breather hole" needed a 8mm hex bit -- I assume the drain / level plugs also take the same bit? Looks like I need to take off one of the wheels to get to the level plug. Is it hidden by the drivers side wheel?

·
Registered
1 Posts
i'm still confused as to where exactly the transmission fill bolt location is for a 2015 tlx 8 speed automatic 4 cylinder. Is it located near the battery and has a red slash on the bolt? the dealer by my house wants to charge $200 for a drain and fill, but i would rather save money and do it myself. But i can't seem to find any youtube videos or good write ups online that show the process.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Bringing this back up to say "Thank you" to MrMoo for posting the PDF's, and to see if anyone knows the P/N(s) for the sealing washers (8-spd DCT). The dealer says new plugs are required, but this appears to contradict the instructions.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts