Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went over the manual yesterday hoping there is a way to turn off/disable TPMS function but didn't find this option (or maybe I missed it somehow).
I want to put a set of winter tires on the car but don't want to invest in TPMS sensors or alternatively, transfer them from the OEM set.
The perspective of driving for 4-6 months with the amber light on telling me that TPMS is malfunctioning is not very appealing.....any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
I think you're stuck with either making the investment in another set or dealing with the light. I can only speak from a Honda point of view but there's really no way to disable the alert.

I guess it's a decision as to whether or not the light bugs you enough to buy another set.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Personally I would bite the bullet and buy the sensors. There is absolutely no way to turn it off at all as the car classes it as a malfunction so there is no way to turn the 'TMPS' amber sign off.
Also be careful, my Acura service department said that this can also lead the traction control to malfunction or not work as intended as it relies on those sensors (rememeber no sensors is classed as a 'malfunction' by the car). That came from the horses mouth too.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right..this what I thought.....should not keep TPMS complaining for longer than a couple of days as it is not normal and may affect other systems.
I think I will bite the bullet, expacially given the predictions for another long winter :(

·
Registered
222 Posts
Personally I would bite the bullet and buy the sensors. There is absolutely no way to turn it off at all as the car classes it as a malfunction so there is no way to turn the 'TMPS' amber sign off.
Also be careful, my Acura service department said that this can also lead the traction control to malfunction or not work as intended as it relies on those sensors (rememeber no sensors is classed as a 'malfunction' by the car). That came from the horses mouth too.
Thanks for bringing that up, never would have thought it affected the traction control system but now that you mentioned it, it makes sense.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i think i will just use the existing rims and tpms and swap the tires themselves

..................i can do that, right?

·
Registered
423 Posts
i think i will just use the existing rims and tpms and swap the tires themselves

..................i can do that, right?
Yes and no I think. Someone else might be able to give a 100% answer but I think that you can't just keep swapping them in and out as tires lose shape and/or damages them.

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
In theory yes. You could do that. It is just extra wear on the equipment as @Amnesia said. I think if you figure the cost of swapping over time it will work out to the price of a new set.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And if you swap the tirese twice a year there is a cost associated with that and a hassle of booking the service, etc.
If you have two sets, it is a 30 minute exercise in your own garage, it is free and good for your health :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Yer, its about $350 here in canada to have TPMS fitted. Add rims to that (your buying winters anyway) and if that price is cheaper than swapping tires twice on the rims at the dealers then you have your answer. Pretty sure it will work out cheaper just getting them and not looking at that amber light all winter!

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Right, I can't stand that amber light; I already had to live with that with my other car for a few weeks and it drove me nuts. I think I will try to get a deal with my dealer when I go there to pick up the car. will see what they say.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been looking into this issue as well. I already bought a set of used rims for winter, and I have my fingers crossed that the TPMS sensors will fit.

I did find out about universal TPMS sensors that are programmable to match the existing sensor ID's. This means you never have to pay to re-program the sensors every time the wheels are switched, because the sensor ID's programmed into the car don't have to change.

Anyone ever used these on another car? I think this is the best option for me as I'm capable of switching the rims myself, but the TPMS is a bit of a road block.

Is reprogramming of TPMS required each time the tires are rotated as well?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
This sounds like interesting solution, any links to the manufacturer/seller ?

I think TPMS needs to relearn tire position each time tires are rotated; I have to do it with my other car but not sure about TLX.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've been doing some more reading on this, and I've been reading that later model Acura's actually don't need to be programmed and the sensors actually broadcast a signal that is recognized by the car, and the car determines which corner the tire is mounted. Apparently the same also applies when a second set of tires are mounted on the car as well (eliminates the whole hassle of reprogramming every year).

Can anyone verify the above is true? I found a set of rims off a 2004-2008 TL, and am wondering if the sensors on the wheels will work this way.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use to try and save the cost of buying the extra set of rims. However, after a few years ( 3 or so) I started to have slow leaks all the time and the hassles of asking them to do an extra scrub of the wheel and extra sealer goop at every tire change became a big nuisance. Again, being frugal I used steel rims for my wife's Honda Accord and the wheel covers were pretty ugly. Bite the bullet and get a set of alloys!

·
Registered
34 Posts
I ended up biting the bullet and getting the sensors from Acura. They have a TLX unique part number so I guess older Acura sensors will not work. They were $55 CDN each plus tax, but the service department confirmed no programming is necessary, and the car will recognize the sensors after driving the car for a bit over 60 km/h.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thx 15 MTLX, good to know no programming is necessary !

May I ask what size those old TL rims are ? and what winter tires are you going with ?

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm surprised at this. The Gen9 Accord got rid of the TPMS sensors to some kind of sensor on the ABS that monitors the tire.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts