Acura TLX Forum banner

TLX4 vs Mazda 6GT

21K views 22 replies 12 participants last post by  Gonzo 
#1 ·
There is plenty of versus battles done between TLX and other brands, but I can't find any comparison between TLX and Mazda6 GT.

Mazda6 GT offers for a very low price a lot of technology, but has anybody ever tried to compare the 2 ?
One of my wanted gadgets is adaptative cruise control. It is available for a lot less in Mazda than Acura.

Maybe 2016 TLX will change this with AcuraWatch in lower trims ?

#2 ·
I traded in a 2014 Mazda 6 GT for my 2015 Acura TLX Advanced. The MRCC (Mazda Radar Cruise Control) was smoother than the TLX's, however it was not low speed follow.

The Mazda also lacked power, even comparing the two 4 cylinder models. The 2014 infotainment center was terrible, but it appears the 2015 model has a nice upgrade on the interior. I would say the 2015 Mazda 6 GT could be a nice alternative to the 4 speed TLX.

#22 ·
------------
which one do you want-test drive them both-get prices and then decide-you are the one owning it and it should be the one you like and can afford-I personally would get the mazda-we owned a 1991 mazda-mx-6GT, bought new. when we sold it for $5,000 last year it had almost 250,000 miles with the original turbo,engine, clutch, transmission and ran excellent

#3 ·
Thanks you !

Infotainment in Mazda3 is very responsive, and as it is based on opensource software running under a linux flavor OS, it is easily #tunable # to add some fun stuff in it.
Also updates to gas prices for navigation, and other stuff, are done when the car connects to Wifi at home. Does the TLX have a similar auto-update by Wifi or other connexion method ?
In fact, does the navigation on TLX allow to find chepest place to refill the tank ?

#4 ·
I don't know about wifi update. I do know the car has AcuraLink cellular connectivity, so there is a possibility updates could be done that way?

As far as locating gas based off of prices, the built in navigation does not do that, but the AHA connectivity package that is part of the AcuraLink suite of apps can. It also has weather, Facebook, email... the only downside is it has to connect with your cell phone.

Wes

#5 ·
Ah Cellular connectivity ! Cool ! So no need to be at home for updates !
Do you need to pay every month for a data plan or is it included in Acura Concierge Service fees ? I saw that in Ontario/Canada, there is a new black area where the service is not running since last year. What happens if service ends in our area ?

Mazda 3 has Aha too, but I don't like it, it is sluggish...
I liked the fact that navigation can drive you to the nearest and cheapest gas station based on which grade you want. I don't use it a lot but when traveling it is greet. Is there a place to send some ideas to Acura for next versions of the HMI ?

#6 ·
Acura Client Care, I would assume, could take suggestions. As far as cellular coverage, I don't know really how it works. The car can only "call" AcuraLink. It's interesting there are black out areas advertised..

#11 ·
the Mazda6 GT and TLX were my final 2 contenders. What tipped me was the silence of the TLX, the dual screens (yes I actually like 2 screens as it makes any sw changes easier if necessary), and the driver assist features on the TLX. Mazda had some of the same, but it didn't have a lane keeping system. I figure the duration I am "driving between the lines" is probably like 99% of the time, and the LKAS is super useful on the highway. Plus I was able to find an outstanding deal on a certified TLX with < 5k miles that was less than the 2016 Mazda6. I didn't even consider the 2015 version as I didn't like the interior.

#15 ·
To buy a car in this category I would prefer the Fusion 2.0 turbo titanium over the Mazda 6 GT. More power, more handling and all the technology, including adaptive cruise control, etc. I did not buy a Fusion because I found in the TLX a "next step" car in terms of overall quality. Beside that I was looking for CPO options of BMW 3 series. I thought the driver's space in the 3 series a little tight. Mazda is nice inside, but every time I drive it seems there is something missing... I don't know how to explain. Good luck in either of your options.

Fred

#17 ·
@fred_epstein : in the Mazda you may miss that strenght of other cars. They are really light cars in driving dynamics, light and very agile. The "zoomzoom" taste. They are more like toys fun to drive.

BMW3 : for me 3 series compare to ILX/civic/Mazda3, TLX is more comparable to 4 or 5 series / Mazda6 / etc.

#18 · (Edited)
This is actually a problem I'm having right now. I'm contemplating between the TLX 2.4 Tech and a Mazda 6 GT. Theres a dealership not far from me that is matching my offer of 27,200 on a new Mazda 6 GT, I'm trying to find a low mileage Tech equiped 2.4 TLX and hope they come down to 28500 or 29k. Overall I like the TLX slightly more b/c of it's quieter ride, tranny and engine combo. The Mazda does look great, interior looks great as well, and has plenty of space, and love those factory dark finish 19" wheels, however the road noise and that stupid plexiglass "HUD" that raises on the dash are two annoyances, but I don't know if those two things and the lack of straight line acceleration warrants me spending thousands more on a used car.

another problem is, just personal and not a direct knock against the colors, but I'm not a fan of most of the colors on the TLX outside of white and black and to some extent the silver (and black i'm trying to avoid b/c my previous two cars were black and my wife recently got a black mdx). The mazda, love the white, dark blue, red, and even silver.

#21 ·
This is exactly the duel our purchase of the TLX 2.4 Tech came down to. The cars are very evenly matched. Look at Car and Drivers instrumented results for acceleration, braking, and handling. They're as near as even as can be measured. Both cars have distinct flavors. I preferred the Mazda's info-tainment on the 2016 GT, but the cabin was so much quieter on the TLX. It was a real give and take, and the plusses and minuses went on and on. In the end, we'd liked to have combined the things we liked about both into one car. Alas, you have to choose.

The final tipping point wasn't even the cars themselves, as I think we'd have been happy with either one, it was the dealerships.
The Acura dealer closest to my wife's work was far more competent than the Mazda dealership across the street. I'm saying this a long-standing Mazda fan. Don't discount the people you're buying it from and expecting to service the warranty. It should certainly be part of the buying decision.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.