Acura TLX Forum banner

TLX Won't Start, Multiple Error Messages (Battery Drain)

72K views 43 replies 14 participants last post by  mk5 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hello TLX forum! Googling for a problem with my TLX SH-AWD Advance I found this site. While this is my first post I think I'll probably be a regular here, hopefully not in this section!

Firstly I'm pretty much in love with this car; I hadn't noticed any of the rough shifting or other transmission problems I'd read about and I love all the technology. Adaptive cruise is a life-changer for me.

Now on to the bad news: Friday evening when getting out of my car in the garage I noticed (or thought I did) that the car rolled a bit. It had never done that before and I verified with accessory mode that the vehicle at least reported itself to be in park. I didn't think much of it until I tried to go to work Saturday afternoon.

When trying to start the car the engine would turn over a couple of times, and then the car would "act" like it thought the engine was running, but it wasn't. After a couple of attempts it displayed several error messages on the dash-based screen including "transmission issue, stop driving when safe" and "emissions issue" - don't remember the rest of them.

My dealer (Courtesy Acura in Lexington, KY) sent a tow truck, but we had a devil of a time actually loading the car, as we couldn't get it to shift out of park or disengage the parking break (I'd tried engaging that to see if I could get the car started).

Anyone ever have issues like this? By the time we got to the dealer the service techs were gone, so I should know more by tomorrow and I'll update this.

Ron

See less See more
#3 ·
Strange. I do notice that when i put the car in park there is a bit of a roll if i am on a slight incline without the electric brake applied. My whole family has noticed it. Its on my list for the dealer

But never had a problem other than that. Let us know what the cause was!

#4 · (Edited)
Thought I would weigh in here as well. I have a V6 SHAWD tech and do love the car. I have expressed this to many I have talk to about all this tech and electronic everything ....it is cool indeed but man it is hard to do things like I use too. This is my first auto .... coming from 4 manualHonda/acuras (last was '09TLX). Remember being able to move the car without starting it, moving car with door open, turning car off with radio still on, pulling emergency brake in snow to fish tail, etc anybody miss these?

Look forward to hearing about the problem as I have had my car move when in pro as well ...

#5 ·
Welcome to the Forum!

Hello TLX forum! Googling for a problem with my TLX SH-AWD Advance I found this site. While this is my first post I think I'll probably be a regular here, hopefully not in this section!
[Edited for reply]
Ron
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. Sorry to hear you have an issue with your TLX. Hopefully it is nothing major.

When you get a chance, please introduce yourself and tell us about your new TLX experiences before this encounter. :)

#8 ·
Thanks all for the warm welcome!

I'll definitely be back in the next few days when I have more time and share my (almost overwhelmingly positive) experiences with the TLX so far besides this issue.

An update on the issue above: the techs weren't able to figure anything out today. Actually, they ended up having to push it from the parking lot into the shop. Their best guess right now, after speaking with the Tech Line, is something electrical based. They were going to leave some sort of electrical diagnostic test running overnight and might have more info in the morning. Anyone know what type of test that might be? They didn't go into a lot of detail.

#11 ·
Hi again all! Quick update on the issue I was having. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong (no "codes"); they said the problem was low voltage, charged the battery, tested everything and gave it back to me on Tuesday. Everything was fine till I tried to go to work this morning (Thursday) and the same symptoms. The dealer recommended I call Acura roadside assistance for a jump and sure enough, it started right up.

At this point it seems like a battery drain issue and that the other warning messages were just red herrings (my service adviser said low voltage can make the Acuras do crazy things). Googling "TLX battery drain" I see there seem to be a LOT of complaints about the HFL unit draining batteries in other models. I have a hunch that might be the case with mine, but I'll keep this thread updated for anyone else who may see these symptoms.

#21 ·
Hi again all! Quick update on the issue I was having. The dealer couldn't find anything wrong (no "codes"); they said the problem was low voltage, charged the battery, tested everything and gave it back to me on Tuesday. Everything was fine till I tried to go to work this morning (Thursday) and the same symptoms.
Your initial report description did not sound familiar, but the subsequent circumstances indicate a battery that cannot hold the charge. I have seen other posting that suggest that a trickle charge helps new batteries stabilize their performance and ability to hold a charge.

I had almost the same problem as you, but I knew from my symptoms that there was a problem with the battery. The car was tested, battery charged and returned to me with a warning that it may fail again. Sure enough it did and the battery was replaced on the second visit. All of this was last October, 4 weeks after taking delivery of the car. No problems since then and this covers winter time with multiple short trips back to back.

Running the audio system at volume while in AUX mode can drain the battery, so be careful.

#17 ·
I wonder if you could've just received a bad battery from the factory?
If you don't mind me asking, how many miles do you have on your car?
Do you ever idle your car a lot or run accessories with the engine off?

I'm asking to hopefully help others out if they were to have this same issue.

Anyone know if the batterey is covered by the factory waranty?
If so I wonder if they would replace it.

Good luck and keep us posted with updates if you don't mind.

#19 ·
Good point. Other Honda products have had these issues; including our 2010 Odyssey. The battery was only a couple of years old, but had a very limited Reserve Capacity (not cranking amps) - and once the voltage dropped, electronics were not happy. New battery solved it all (so far).
However, the SHAWD claims to have a beefed up battery...

#22 · (Edited)
On a similar note, whenever I buy a new battery I always top it off with distilled water. I'm still surprised that they don't come full to the tabs.

The battery on my TLX was no exception, it was low from the factory and required some distilled water.
I try to make it a point to check and fill all my car batteries at least once a year.

#23 ·
Just prior to 50,000 miles on my 2011 TSX they replaced the battery because of a bad cell. I didn't realize it was bad. Sold the TSX at 64,000 miles.

This summer I will take the first vacation away from the car. I hope the charge lasts till I return. :)

#25 ·
Also, wonder if a mod would mind changing the title to include "Battery Drain" to help others who might be googling this? My adviser at the dealer said the Tech Line hadn't heard of this issue so I'm kinda wondering how widespread it is.

#30 ·
I have owned my TLX for 2 years and 1 month. The car wouldn't start yesterday at a Costco and I had to ask for a jump. Got home and today won't start again. No signs of problem with the battery before yesterday.

Does anyone know how long the battery warranty is?

The car probably has around 22K miles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.