Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of stepping up into the premium world and looked at both of these cars tonight. Test drove the Q50 first.

Q50 seems like it's well built,has a very intuitive infotainment system, drives well, corners flat, and pulls **** hard. It's overall a comfortable ride. Engine is a little raspy, but I think it's a great engine and transmission combo.

The TLX.. More space, it looks like it's more upscale inside, but I'm not sure the quality is actually better. Rides well, pulls decently, and corners fairly well too. I drove the AWD version.

I have a big complaint about the TLX and may need to drive it again. I'm not sure about the 9 speed transmission. The first to second shift is very abrupt. I have a car with a CVT (so smooth) and a Mustang GT with 6 speed manual. The transmission in the TLX just threw me off.

For you forum folk, are you guys noticing the same thing with the transmission? Once I was going it shifted fine, but I hated it starting out. It also seems to take forever while trying to downshift to pass. My Subaru is slow as he, but I love how fast the CVT revs up. Haha.

·
Registered
438 Posts
i have the SH-AWD and while i am no car enthusiast i have no issues whatsoever accelerating to highway speeds (and beyond) or passing vehicles in the highway

did you drive in ECON mode by mistake? try it in SPORT and SPORT+ mode

IMHO, if you want a more aggressive car and do not mind the intouch system potentially crashing, go for the Q50. if you want a more spacious (both seating and trunk space) and more reliable car that is fun to drive if you need to, go for the TLX. even though both car models are relatively new, i would imagine that the TLX will hold its value better than the Q50

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I'm thinking of stepping up into the premium world and looked at both of these cars tonight. Test drove the Q50 first.

Q50 seems like it's well built,has a very intuitive infotainment system, drives well, corners flat, and pulls **** hard. It's overall a comfortable ride. Engine is a little raspy, but I think it's a great engine and transmission combo.

The TLX.. More space, it looks like it's more upscale inside, but I'm not sure the quality is actually better. Rides well, pulls decently, and corners fairly well too. I drove the AWD version.

I have a big complaint about the TLX and may need to drive it again. I'm not sure about the 9 speed transmission. The first to second shift is very abrupt. I have a car with a CVT (so smooth) and a Mustang GT with 6 speed manual. The transmission in the TLX just threw me off.

For you forum folk, are you guys noticing the same thing with the transmission? Once I was going it shifted fine, but I hated it starting out. It also seems to take forever while trying to downshift to pass. My Subaru is slow as he, but I love how fast the CVT revs up. Haha.
Welcome to the Forum! I see this is your first post.

Maybe test drive the I4?

You can find a lot of posts about tranny issues under the Engine and drive train section. Also some under TLX issues.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the V6 and I never had an issue between 1 & 2 gears. The slight delay in downshifting goes away as you break it in. I did not test drive the Q50 so I can't compare, but I like both just based on looks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, guys. I'll look over the transmission section.

The car accelerates fine and I did drive it in sport mode. It's not brutal like q50 under acceleration, but it's plenty powerful. I meant the downshift when flooring it takes a while.. I did try it only once though and it was at 40 mph just to see how it works. I think I'll have to test both again.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Today is my first day with V6 FWD TLX. I did notice the struggle in shifting between the gears when I was in bumper to bumper traffic ( ~ 15 miles) and it was really annoying. is this normal? or do I have to wait little more till the engine get adjusted.
on the other hand, I did test drive Q50, but not really observed any superiority over TLX.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have not experienced any difficulties in traffic. The shifting between 1-2 and 3-4 is not as smooth as the rest of the gears, but it is not a problem for me.

·
Registered
134 Posts
For most of the people with concerns over the jerky transmission in the I4, I have to wonder how many of them had ever driven a car with DCT. This is generally a technology that is put on higher end cars for more performance so that's the trade off. I do think there has been too much made of the effect of the torque convertor but again for anyone with concerns over the DCT, I would recommend driving any of the other competitors that have it. Audi's and VW's are the one that come to mind but there are others. Some jerkiness is unavoidable given their layout, and no I am not an Acura employee.

Reactions: Summest
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.