Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Not surprised, isn't the Q50 much more expensive? Like around $50K MSRP?
Yes. CAD 3510 more equally equipped and if you go for the Sport it's even more and I am not talking about the 400hp Red Sport, just the regular Q50 AWD Sport that gives you a bunch of performance upgrades.

The 2017 A4 is awesome, but would have cost me at least $10k more than the TLX.
Yes. CAD 9020 more than the TLX equally equipped and is still a 4 cylinder 252hp car which means it's down on power and you don't get the smoothness of a V6.

Funny you mention this because I test drove it yesterday and it's a very nice car. The best 4 cylinder car out there, period. Very smooth and linear acceleration and very planted on the road. It's an excellent car but not for someone who has drive the V6 TLX SH-AWD. Even though it's peppy but not as powerful as the TLX's 290hp V6 engine. Comparing a 4 cylinder with a V6 is unfair but at this price they are comparable. That's how much of a bargain the TLX is. Plus we get the power of a V6 with the fuel economy of a 4 cylinder.

The A4 has a beautiful exterior and interior which is far superior to the TLX but the driving experience is better in the TLX and then there's the price which simply can't be beaten.

He asked me what I drove and I pointed towards my car as leaving the lot and he said it's funny that it looks like a Lexus/BMW. I didn't respond to that.

He asked me to gun the car and didn't get the response he was expecting. It was pretty good but I am used to driving a more powerful car so I wasn't blown away.

He then asked me to push it around the corner and though it handled nicely it wasn't as flat as the SH-AWD.

And I told him all that and left.

The more I test drive other cars, the more I appreciate my TLX and it makes me sad how underrated this car is.

Can't wait until this time next year to see the TLX with the Diamond Pentagon Grill and hopefully at Sport Hybrid at which point I will trade mine in for that >:D

Totally the contrary for me, at least in the design. Hated the Q50's one, typical Nissan
Honda/Acura aren't any different. Just today I saw a Honda Odyssey and the tail lights reminded me of the MDX, and the infotainment system in the Honda's that don't have the Android Auto/Apple Car Play is practically identical to the one in Acuras.

Sit in a pilot and you will see the electronic gear selector right out of the MDX.

G35/37 looked awfully similar to the Altima but the Q50 doesn't look like any Nissan products. The tail lights however remind me of the previous gen Sonata.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I went to an Infiniti dealership yesterday and checked out the Q50. Didn't take it for a spin, just sat in and took a look. When I got back in my TLX, the interior actually felt inferior to the one in the Q50. It was immediately obvious that the design and the quality of materials in the Q50 was much superior.

Anyone else felt that?
You know, this is interesting- My friend just leased a Q50- was the cheapest/ best he can find for the money, i think $2K down, $500 month. ANyhow, i have a 2011 BMW 335- the materials and build of my car are pretty good- when I sat in the Q50, i was amazed- Im not sure if it was the feel of the materials, or more of the high tech feel of the interior- with the dual screens- really nice cockpit feeling-

Needless to say, it made my car feel archaic when i got back into it. I think there is no arguement that the Q50 even the base which it was, offers alot... im not sure on the reliability side, but would have to think close to the Acura.

The IS350 is a fine sedan too, but suffers as the TLX matching straight line power as the Q50 has

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I had test drove the Q50 before buying the TLX. I didn't find the interior as nice as the TLX. I truly enjoy the TLX's interior over most cars... something about it... electronic shifter, dual screens, the simplicity yet offering technology. Not sure. I felt the Q50 was a bit gimmicky (G Meter really like after 2 days will you ever use that again?) Don't get me wrong I didn't feel "Nissan" with the Q50 ride was nice and the front end looks nice but in the end TLX won.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Before I got my TLX shawd, the IS 350 was high on the list, but just couldn't justify the upcharge for my commuter car. Although I never even test drove one, the interior of the Lexus was sexy and luxuriously smooth though a bit cramped feeling.
To me, Nissans-> meh.

·
Registered
42 Posts
TLX vs Q50

I have both a 2015 TLX 4 cyl and a 2015 Q50 3.7. Wife hates her TLX, mostly because she cannot get a good driving position from the seat and the customer support from the dealer where it was leased.

My Q50 is a whole different car w/RWD more power and luxury. But the gas mileage sucks (18 mpg in town) compared to the Acura (24mpg) I had a 2013 MB C250 before the Q50 and consider the Infiniti a much better car. The Infiniti has spent zero time at the dealer for repairs; the MB was there more times than I want to count including 8 weeks for a new engine, although loaner service was great. Customer service at my Infiniti dealer has been better than any in my 60 years of driving. My only driving complaint is the quick power response now that I have to drive with hand controls.

Love the Infiniti better than any of the 3 Bimmers, 2 Mercedes and 2 Audis I've owned or leased. Still waiting for the lottery to strike me so I can get the Bentley I lust for.;)

·
Registered
140 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
and I just picked up my 2019 A-spec, 4/cyl version. Being my first Acura/Honda I had no loyaltily built in for this purchase. So I checked out several cars, came down to the TLX, the Q and a Jaguar XE for me. At the end of the day the Acura was a better choice money wise, that's why it won, truth is, both the other 2 were wayyyy more fun to drive, think the Jag was my favorite, and if a guy was willing to buy a year or two used one you can save a lot of money on the Q and Jag, but I wanted to be the first in this one so i went TLX. Dont get me wrong, I love my new TLX but there are certainly nicer and more sporty cars in this class even if you are using the V6 TLX as the yardstick of comparison.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts