Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are your thoughts on the tlx versus the Lexus IS350 and Infiniti Q50? I'd love to know what you guys think because I'm having a difficult time choosing for my next car... Thanks!!

·
Registered
525 Posts
You went to the wrong forum to ask car comparison questions.

I'd personally take the new Q50 with the VR 300HP engine. It's more expensive but I like it more than the Acura TLX on paper. I haven't sat or driven one so can't comment on that.

·
Registered
236 Posts
I'd personally take the new Q50 with the VR 300HP engine. It's more expensive but I like it more than the Acura TLX on paper. I haven't sat or driven one so can't comment on that.
This, except maybe I'd go full on with the 400 HP engine (well, maybe not since I now see it's close to $50k retail).

I wouldn't hesitate to go Acura TLX again. There are kinks in my 2015 2.4L Tech, but the positives far outweigh the gripes for me. With this new trend of high HP sedans and the "rumour" (for you Canucks, eh?) of across-the board-AWD, I am intrigued by what Acura's plans are for the TLX. Also, I hope they give out more choices for favourable colours for exterior/interior. Sorry, couldn't resist.

The IS cabin is too small for my taste, probably wouldn't even glance at it -- but again, I've never even checked one out.

·
Premium Member
4,870 Posts
What are your thoughts on the tlx versus the Lexus IS350 and Infiniti Q50? I'd love to know what you guys think because I'm having a difficult time choosing for my next car... Thanks!!
Have you driven any/all of them yet? I think that's the first step. That may rule out one or two for you.

Have a look around the forums for each vehicle. That will give you an idea of the pros and cons for both from a real world perspective.

A test drive would be the place to start in my opinion.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Google the VS. reviews, as there are plenty. I did before getting my TLX and the reviews I viewed favored the TLX in most categories. Test driving is always a must. Good luck with your decision.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Months back I was in same situation or state of mind as yourz. I test drove all 3, I personally found Q50 more responsive n peppy amongst all.
It's your personal choice n budget thing to consider , fact is all 3 are as good depends what you are looking for, you just can't get wrong with either of them! All re good if not the best as Europeans.
I justify my purchase as if I have to go for all this teck in Lexus or Infiniti I had to spend like $10 k more.
Plus my years of love with Honda n after all backed up by Hondas reliability, resale, n reasonable cost if ownership all these thoughts leads me towards the purchase I did n happy with that.
Hope that helps.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
All 3 are good cars! Totally depends on your budget and what you want out of the car. 7-8yrs ago I probably would pick the IS350(out of these 3 options) as it does tend to have the most dynamic handling of the 3, but you sacrifice a lot of practicality (roominess) etc. But now with a family and kids the TLX fit best for us currently as it had the best combo of ride comfort, space, and price.
The Q50 (I only test drove the VQ3.7 not the newer turbo motors) felt like a good middle ground between IS sized car and the TLX. It wasn't quite as comfy as the TLX but it was definitely more powerful and felt a little more planted stock vs stock.

But just as others have said everything comes at a price.
To give you some perspective though when my sister was shopping for a new car last year we went and drove several cars and she narrowed her choices down to the IS and an A4 quattro. Driving them back to back she loved the interior 'tech-y-ness' of the IS but as far as actually driving them both of us preferred the A4. Now that doesn't help your comparison much.

But I did drive the TLX and Q50 back to back and if you're going with a V6 turbo Q50 the only comparable model TLX as far as driving performance/enjoyment is the 3.5 SHAWD. The 2.4 is fun to drive (I liked it so much I ended up buying the 2.4) but if you drive it back to back with that V6 in the Q50 you'll be very disappointed by the TLXs power, the 3.5 is sufficient tho!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Oh and if you drive the Q50 400hp turbo v6 even the 3.5 SHAWD will feel slow by comparison lol. Someone I work with recently got one and when boost hits (and it hits relatively low, not BMW turbo low tho) it's a rocket!

·
Registered
236 Posts
The only twin turbo I ever drove was the RX-7 back in the day and that jerked your head back with 276 horsepower. I had a 375 hp Corvette...I can only imagine what 400 hp w/ twin turbos must be like. Yikes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Forbes Worst Cars Q50

Panda,
I just saw this and wanted to share: 15 New Cars To Avoid | Forbes The Q50 is on the list - Consumer Reports gives the Q50 an overall score of 57 and a reliability rating of minus-64. CR liked the compact Q50 luxury sedan’s acceleration, outward visibility and roomy interior, but criticized its unrefined power-train, fuel economy, ride and handling, controls, and front seat comfort. It scored below average in the JD Power Design/Performance study, and is expected to hold onto just 46% of its original value after three years and 32% after five years.

·
Registered
992 Posts
I went to an Infiniti dealership yesterday and checked out the Q50. Didn't take it for a spin, just sat in and took a look. When I got back in my TLX, the interior actually felt inferior to the one in the Q50. It was immediately obvious that the design and the quality of materials in the Q50 was much superior.

Anyone else felt that?

·
Registered
161 Posts
I went to an Infiniti dealership yesterday and checked out the Q50. Didn't take it for a spin, just sat in and took a look. When I got back in my TLX, the interior actually felt inferior to the one in the Q50. It was immediately obvious that the design and the quality of materials in the Q50 was much superior.

Anyone else felt that?
Not surprised, isn't the Q50 much more expensive? Like around $50K MSRP?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts