Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm tired of BMW and Mercedes marketing and pretentious reputation overshadowing other brands
Open your eyes, minds, and spirits to other options;
And. Acura will be the first you will consider, and come to
Don't believe me, take my challenge,
All you German brand want to bee's
Go test drive your German or even Sweedish brands,
And then go drive an Acura TLX
Then decide for yourself!!

·
Registered
103 Posts
Acura has always seem to be the luxury brand stepchild. It's unfortunate. Acura is at fault for the marketing falling short. Toyota does a great job separating Lexus. It's almost like Honda could be doing what KIA is now with the higher trim levels without a new luxury brand. Acura has enough loyal customers to make a change with marketing to gain new customers to make them separate more from Honda. There is a difference in the fit and finish and driving dynamics. There are lots of ignorant people that won't even give Acura a try. There are always those that hate Honda too for some reason. Maybe the ricers ruined the reputation for some.

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Price aside, while I love Acura and their style... we just purchased a Q5. I can say the ride, the interior, the info system etc better than Acura.... long term I think Acura will win hands down. My wife found the new RDX interior to be "cheap and tinny" - Q5 - super sweet.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Price aside, while I love Acura and their style... we just purchased a Q5. I can say the ride, the interior, the info system etc better than Acura.... long term I think Acura will win hands down. My wife found the new RDX interior to be "cheap and tinny" - Q5 - super sweet.
Gonzo - is it fair to say that the Q5, when comparably equipped to the RDX is significantly more expensive? I'm a loyal Honda/Acura customer too and I often tell people that the other luxury brands like Lexus, Audi, BMW, etc. are a cut above Acura when it comes to materials and craftmanship but those brands will nickel and dime you to death for add-ons that are standard on the Acura models. By the time you get done pricing a comparatively equipped vehicle, your in the range of $8K-$12K more for those other brands. Not worth it in my mind. Acura strikes a nice balance between luxury and affordability in my humble opinion.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Funny I just helped my Son's girlfriend to purchase a brand new Q5, they love it. But spent twice as much as my '19 TLX no driver assist Tech at all.
Love the car and awesome premium dealership and customer service, but
Not impressed by that!

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
My wife just got a Q5 she loves it too. I fear the maintenance costs after the warranty is over. And yes the Q5 is more than a RDX with similar features. I agree with you on the balance... I'm perfectly happy with the TLX and believe long term it will be good. My wife went with the Q5 as she didn't like the RDX for various reasons.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Congratulations on your Q5. Audi makes great vehicles. The fit and finish is top notch. I've always loved them. Great choice.

In Canada the RDX actually costs more than the Q5 as far as monthly lease payments go when equally equipped and I'd still get the RDX because I truly feel it's a much better product in every measure.

The TLX has a cheap interior yes but cheap isn't the word anyone can use for the RDXs interior. The fit and finish is top notch and looks and feels much better than anything in its class. It's also more powerful at 272hp. In fact, the only CUV with more power (only 8hp) is the Alfa Romeo Stelvio with 280hp.

I would say it's a matter of preferences in your and/or your wife's case and then there's the brand recognition. Audi trumps Acura there and not many people would pay more and get an Acura over an Audi.

Fun fact: Audi doesn't even offer the brake hold feature at any price. Just not available. A feature found in a Civic these days and was a deal breaker for me.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
Funny her Q5 doesn't have cooling seats either.... deal breaker for me. I agree with you 100%... fit finish materials, - Audi, Long term value - Acura

·
Registered
992 Posts
Funny her Q5 doesn't have cooling seats either.... deal breaker for me. I agree with you 100%... fit finish materials, - Audi, Long term value - Acura
Then you're not agreeing with me, because I said fit and finish on the RDX is just as good as Audi if not better

·
Registered
992 Posts
Oh sorry misunderstood.. I feel the materials are a notch above the Acura in an Audi.
OK. The interior in the Q5 is very plain as opposed to the RDX in terms of design don't you agree?

·
Registered
2,742 Posts
I wouldn't say plain... the Q5 has a pop out screen and many buttons... the RDX is like a total new design over anyone.... more "futuristic"

·
Registered
992 Posts
I wouldn't say plain... the Q5 has a pop out screen and many buttons... the RDX is like a total new design over anyone.... more "futuristic"
Exactly

·
Registered
9 Posts
Speaking from experience owning a TLX Advance when going for a spirited drive the understeer was just not enjoyable. I ended up trading my TLX in for a BMW 335i sedan that puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It’s a love hate relationship...every time it breaks (which it has already done twice in 18 months for over $3k of repairs) i hate the BMW, then every time I drive it I love it.

In hindsight I should not have rushed in and bought the first TLX I went to go see (FWD) and should have waited for an SH-AWD but having rented a Turo BMW for comparison I was hooked on the driving experience.

I still love the TLX (especially the A-Spec) but for now I’m really enjoying the BMW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
992 Posts
Speaking from experience owning a TLX Advance when going for a spirited drive the understeer was just not enjoyable. I ended up trading my TLX in for a BMW 335i sedan that puts a smile on my face every time I drive it. It’s a love hate relationship...every time it breaks (which it has already done twice in 18 months for over $3k of repairs) i hate the BMW, then every time I drive it I love it.

In hindsight I should not have rushed in and bought the first TLX I went to go see (FWD) and should have waited for an SH-AWD but having rented a Turo BMW for comparison I was hooked on the driving experience.

I still love the TLX (especially the A-Spec) but for now I’m really enjoying the BMW.

It's unfair to compare a rear wheel drive sport sedan with a front-wheel drive one. You wouldn't have had that problem with super handling all-wheel drive

And because of those expensive repairs, it's not recommended to buy a used German cars especially out of warranty.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts

The BMW's are nice, no doubt. Cost of ownership is the issue. Hopefully you still love it even if faced with a few more costly repairs.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have had Acura sedans, including 2 Legends, a TL and now a TLX, since 1987 and last year I got my first Audi, an 2014, I purchased from my brother-in-law who lived in Florida. The car had 58,000r miles and was always maintained at the dealership. Unlike Ohio, Florida only requires a rear license plate. I had to purchase a front license plate holder, which I could not find on the internet, so I called the local dealer. I was told I needed to get the Vin number because there were multiple front end configurations for the A6 including one where I would need to purchase an entire grill. "Luckily" my car did not require a new grill but the plastic license plate holder cost $208. The part was piece of molded plastic that probably cost $5 to produce and I still had to drill a hole in the license plate to get it to fit.

The final straw was I needed a real brakes and the caliper froze when it was taken off the car. Rear only pads and rotors with an oil change and caliper (which cost $600), with the work done at a good local tech I have been using for years, and who has undercut the dealer by a couple of hundred dollars each time, cost over $1,200. The Audi was a nice car but with the 2.0L turbo and the CVT, which was not a very good transmission at all, and the cost for parts, it was not a car for anyone who keeps cars a long time. Needless to say it is gone now and my experience with German cars is probably over.

I put over 250,000 miles on my first Legend, a 2.5L 6 with 5 speed manual and sold it for $2,000 when it was 10 years old. I put over 200,000 miles on my 1992 Legend and my 2005 TL has 105,000 miles on the clock (my mother drove it for 6 years to church and to run errands in Florida, so it had very low miles when I got it) and my daughter is still driving it. I am sure the Audi would last just as long if it was maintained, but it probably would have cost 3 to 5 times as much in parts and maintenance as a comparable Acura.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have had Acura sedans, including 2 Legends, a TL and now a TLX, since 1987 and last year I got my first Audi, an 2014, I purchased from my brother-in-law who lived in Florida. The car had 58,000r miles and was always maintained at the dealership. Unlike Ohio, Florida only requires a rear license plate. I had to purchase a front license plate holder, which I could not find on the internet, so I called the local dealer. I was told I needed to get the Vin number because there were multiple front end configurations for the A6 including one where I would need to purchase an entire grill. "Luckily" my car did not require a new grill but the plastic license plate holder cost $208. The part was piece of molded plastic that probably cost $5 to produce and I still had to drill a hole in the license plate to get it to fit.

The final straw was I needed a real brakes and the caliper froze when it was taken off the car. Rear only pads and rotors with an oil change and caliper (which cost $600), with the work done at a good local tech I have been using for years, and who has undercut the dealer by a couple of hundred dollars each time, cost over $1,200. The Audi was a nice car but with the 2.0L turbo and the CVT, which was not a very good transmission at all, and the cost for parts, it was not a car for anyone who keeps cars a long time. Needless to say it is gone now and my experience with German cars is probably over.

I put over 250,000 miles on my first Legend, a 2.5L 6 with 5 speed manual and sold it for $2,000 when it was 10 years old. I put over 200,000 miles on my 1992 Legend and my 2005 TL has 105,000 miles on the clock (my mother drove it for 6 years to church and to run errands in Florida, so it had very low miles when I got it) and my daughter is still driving it. I am sure the Audi would last just as long if it was maintained, but it probably would have cost 3 to 5 times as much in parts and maintenance as a comparable Acura.
Yeah bang for the buck Acura cannot be beat. I think that's why some give a tough argument when it comes to if this is a real luxury brand. Yes it is, it's just that Honda Corp is not ripping you off. It's more like value luxury. Then comes the thing when now mainstream cars that are not the luxury brand are offering similar options and even in some cases better technology than Acura, however you're still getting a really nice car for the money with the "A" badge. I still think it's a bit more prestigious than say a Nissan fully loaded or even the Honda fully loaded though those cars have upped their game. Everyone has upped their game. The new Hyundai Sonata has a park by itself feature using a smartphone. I guess the next question would be how good is the quality of all these features on a non-luxury brand. Time will tell. Similar to the KIA heads out there swearing that they're not playing coming to the table with better looking cars and tech. Time will tell how good the quality is. BMW, Mercedes, and Audi we know they nickel and dime you for features and the repair cost. The sad thing is those are luxury brands that we know have had a good share of needed repairs more often than others. It will be interesting to see how the new age of non luxury brands offering luxury type features hold up. The luxury brands will need to tighten up as buyers take notice of what they can get for less money and at least as good.

·
Super Moderator
654 Posts
Yeah bang for the buck Acura cannot be beat. I think that's why some give a tough argument when it comes to if this is a real luxury brand. Yes it is, it's just that Honda Corp is not ripping you off. It's more like value luxury.
I've often referred to Acura as "The Bargain Luxury Brand"

1 - 20 of 20 Posts