·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so ya......i am in the market for a premium/not-too-luxury AWD sport sedan

been doing research for a month already. so i came down to 3 choices

- 2014 infiniti Q50 AWD base
- 2015 audi A4 quattro, with their second highest trim
- 2015 TLX SH-AWD, with their second highest trim (tech package)

despite being the cheapest of the 3, i eventually crossed Q50 off the list because the trunk space is abit on the shallow side and there are issues with their intouch center console

so now we have A4 and TLX left. truth to be told i did not look into the TLX at all due to its very recent release, and i almost jumped the gun on the A4 until i heard about the TLX literally last week.

if my math is correct, price wise A4 should be only around 3000 bucks more expensive than the TLX. while TLX gets relatively alot more features and more powerful engine than the A4, the A4 has a relatively more premium look and feel to it. Not to mention that you can opt for their Audi Care 5 year pre-paid maintenance package (which is already factored into the 3000 bucks difference) which i feel brings the gap even closer since acura sadly do not offer prepaid maintenance packages

reliability-wise. both brands seem to be ranked pretty high from consumer reports, just after lexus. audi has had problems before with the A4 (notably their high fuel consumption), but looks like they have fixed the issues now as the current generation comes to end-of-life. however, this also means that by next year the next-gen A4 will make the current one look obsolete. likewise, the TLX is an all-new generation vehicle where acura puts lots of bells and whistles into it, but being the first-iteration we are prone to the risk of bugs and quirks and issues/lemons etc (the infiniti Q50 comes to mind).

so i am really torn now. and yes, i am a pretty indecisive person when it comes to cars since it involves quite a lot of money. my mom, who knows nothing about acura beyond the ILX which is only $3X,000, is like "what? omg! an acura for close to 50K? are you nuts? not worth it, of course you should get an audi if its only a few grand more". My (more knowledgeable) peers are also leaning towards the audi since the TLX (or the acura brand rather) has been off everybody's minds/attention as of late

but i digress. what would you pick? how much would you foresee the TLX maintenance costs to be over the first 5 years? how would you foresee both cars in 10 years in terms of maintenance upkeep?

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you want to do a valid comparison you should bring the Audi equipement to the same as the TLX (meaning add option). Then the cost would favor the TLX. Other thing you should keep in mind is that Acura are bulletproof car. I've had my TSX for close to 11 years in an area where the temperature goes from -30 in the winter to + 30 in the summer and I've not done much more than regular maintenance. The only issue I would have with the TLX would be the style which is too neutral in my mind. That being said, I am going to test drive one of the new C Class from MB tonight. Still considering the TLX but I have to wait to test drive the TLX as well and see what kind of deal I get from Acura or MB.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
the new C-class interior sure looks nice but is too stylish/baller for my tastes. i wouldn't mind the 2014 model though it will be very hard to find one now

and obviously much more expensive than the A4 or TLX

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
Honestly asking that question on a TLX forum, I don't think you'll find someone who's going to give the Audi A4 much attention.

It really is a tough decision, but honestly from my experience, and my mechanic friends, they will all tell you go with Acura. If you're simply leasing, then I guess price will factor, and also the TLX has more tech

However if you're planing on buying or keeping it long term, I wouldn't suggest the Audi. After 80 000km - 120 000km, it starts to go downhill, and the parts are expensive.
You won't have as much trouble with the Acura, its very reliable and low maintenance.
That's the honest opinion of non biased mechanic, because they love the look and feel of the Audi, and so do I to be honest.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i understand that audi may be expensive to keep, and the acura is likely to be more reliable in the long run, especially since i am coming from a 2001 acura EL myself.

but the main issue is....i wonder what the TLX maintanence costs will be for the first 5 years or so of ownership, since unfortunately acura does not offer prepaid maintenance packages

lets assume i plan to drive between 10K-12K miles a year, nothing crazy

and i will be paying by cash, no leasing

·
Registered
260 Posts
The TLX has more tech and it also is cheaper. If the benefit of the Audi is that it has the name, I think you should go with wherever your priorities lie. Do you really care so much that you have a German luxury car, or do you care more that your car has the latest tech (and is a better deal)?

·
Registered
317 Posts
Agree with all the responses to your question stated above.

This was also my list and I was very close from signing a good deal for 2014 A4 last year but walked away and decided to wait for TLX and this is what we got.

It is hard to say what the maintenance cost for TLX will be but by the same token, it is hard to say what the maintenance cost will be for the new A4. Most likely, it will be the same or similar comparing to their respective older models.

If you look at edmunds.com, their TCO calculator for 5 year maintenance cost for 2012 TL vs 2014 A4 quatro (i used these two models just for comparison) shows almost the same number, within a 50 dollar difference.

If you go to Acura site you can find maintenance schedule for TLX and it is pretty much oil change and tire rotation; V6 engine needs new timing belt at 100K. Your tires and breaks should be good for 3 years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
for me personally, its not about the name, but the cost of upkeep

like i said, it's more about the maintenance costs. audi offers 5 year schedule maintenance for a lump sum of $750. for acura i will have to pay for every visit, subject to what the dealership's service department charges me. that's fine with me, but i cannot imagine that acura will only charge me $750 for maintenance over the first 5 years, which is why i feel that the price gap is getting narrower.

are there any TSX of TL owners who can enlighten me as to their approximate maintenance costs for the first 5 years of ownership?

·
Registered
23 Posts
how much would you foresee the TLX maintenance costs to be over the first 5 years? how would you foresee both cars in 10 years in terms of maintenance upkeep?
Based on the replies already, I'm not really sure what information you are looking for.

The basic maintenance costs for the first few years (5?) are basically just oil change and tire rotations. Anything considered consumable (e.g. brakes, tires...) are usually not considered or included as maintenance so may not be included in your Audi maintenance.

You will have to check your local area dealers but parts and labor for Acura is significantly cheaper than for Audi. While it depends on the model and year, to get a timing belt replaced for Honda/Acura should be around $800. Audi is around $2000.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok thanks all for your responses

guess i will stick to the TLX then, now to find a good deal on it which is another whole new discussion....

·
Registered
80 Posts
Took a C Class Benz for a test drive tonight and came back disappointed. Did not like the turbo lag did not like the dial gauges and even manage to get some rattle once. Did not want to push the car as the car was not really a demo but a unit for sale. Came back home with my wife new MDX and boy it rides nicely. I am sure the TLX will even ride better than my wife MDX. Will try to get a test drive of the TLX in a couple of weeks but no MB for me

·
Registered
130 Posts
If your main concern is maintenance for the first 5 years, I can't imagine it being much for either car. I mean, it's a brand new car right? As people have mentioned, it's basically fluid changes. Even if brakes are covered by the Audi plan, you'll probably go through one set at the most. It sounds like you've decided on the TLX though, so hopefully you get a good deal.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I drove these two cars within half hour of each and while I didn't notice a significant difference in quality, A4 is still a smaller car inside and has less options for the money. It's a seller's market for the Audi vs. Acura, so unless you really want or need an Audi, you will be as happy with the TLX and save tons of money.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ok thanks all for your responses

guess i will stick to the TLX then, now to find a good deal on it which is another whole new discussion....
So did you get the TLX? I ask because I'm on day 1 of TLX ownership, having just traded in a 2011 A4. It was a great car overall. I had a few complaints, mainly that the 4 cylinders were just too slow off the line. In the last few months it was drinking a quart of synthetic every couple of weeks. My turbo went out with about 500 miles to spare on the maintenance program. I love the AWD, but I don't know if I can go with a turbo ever again. Just too much heat, oil and moving parts. As it is, the TLX is comfortable, fairly peppy and full of the bells & whistles.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
of course i got a TLX lol

1 - 20 of 27 Posts