Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just test drove both yesterday and today.

First, TLX. I was really impressed of the balance of the car between power and comfort. Handling was precise, and it pulls more than enough for me.
ACC is a little harsh. It brake a little too much in some situations, and accelerate at times where I would only have left some time to go back to the next car.
Interior was a great finish, I only found infotainment feels a little old for a 2015 car. Not very responsive, and not very attractive. It seems not very intuitive but it is only a matter of learning curve I think.

Today I test drove Q50. First sensation was to be in a little smaller car than TLX, but with some more rooms for legs with the seat back at max. After trying to enter to the back places, it seems that it is only the seats having more front/back travel distance than in TLX. Actually, there was more room in the TLX for all passengers. This surprised me as in spec sheets, numbers shows more room in the Q50... but it is not true in reality.
I were impressed about perimeter cameras. Being able to see all around the car is a real useful function.
The car has more sporty feeling, but it feels it lack a little of control when pushed. I felt the TLX were a lot more in control of power it delivers, and this was an impression shared by my wife. She prefers the feeling of power from the TLX than of the Q50.
Another point for the TLX (for me) is that it is quieter, but when you want to make the engine sing, it is present just at the right level. You hear it, but it is not intrusive in the cabin. Q50, more sportier, so you feel and ear more the road behind the car. You feel all holes in the road where the TLX smooths them a lot.
About infotainment, a lot more intuitive than TLX... but it as a few issues. For example, upper screen in Q50 is bigger and has a better resolution than TLX one. But in the sun, you can't see the map... The TLX has a smaller screen, but protected from the sun and as it is less sexy, it is more effective.
Q50 ACC was a lot smoother than TLX one, but I found during the road test that the Q50 detects car at a smaller distance than the TLX. I think I prefer a system a little hard sometimes, but which seems a little more sensitive to the car in front of him. It is great to predict what happens 2 cars in front of you, but it must detect cars at a sufficient range to be safe. Maybe in the next generation of Infinity ACC.

About sound, a lot better in the TLX than the Bose sound in the Q50. Bose was boomy, lack a lot of precision. Surprisingly it sounds a lot better in my Mazda3GT with Bose... and trying to change settings doesn't success in making the sound acceptable (for me).
TLX was a good car sound system. Not an high end quality, but enough to enjoy listening to music in the car during a long trip. And better than Bose stuff (either in Q50 or Mazda3).

A word about style. I like a lot more the Q50 design than the old-fashioned and conservative TLX. And these exhaust tips missing... Only jewel eye leds are good on the TLX. But you stay more inside the car than outside to look at it... and TLX is for me better inside and to drive.

Impressions from "luxuryness" of both : I feels in a more luxury car in the TLX, and more in a sporty car with some luxury stuff in the Q50. The Q50, from interior finish and materials, feels more like my Mazda3GT range than the TLX range.

Best is that I didn't feel in a patched Accord in the TLX. It is another car.

After these tests, Acura TLX is a winner for me.

Has to see the Lexus IS350 to have a final word, but I think I will have a TLX in a few months. (In front of Audi A4 and BMW335xi... both are more aggressive driving, but lack the "luxury" touch. They seems to be more in front of ILX super-Civic category, with more power, probably fun to drive on close circuit but not for long trips.)

·
Super Moderator
1,008 Posts
As I read your review, I thought you had just watched this video review of a comparison of the same two vehicles. Watch here and you'll hear the same conclusions.

Reactions: Replayman

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes thanks you, similar conclusion. I am pleased to see that TLX does well on snow ! Thanks again !

I just drove my Mazda3GT this evening. I must admit that I found it more fun to drive than the Q50... OK it is less powerful and a lot more noisy, but it is so light, responsive and very fun oriented than pleasure is there. You really feel the "ZoomZoom" they told about.
I think I may prefer a Mazda to the Infinity Q50... because Infinity try to offer sporty feeling, sacrificing some comfort and luxury feeling. Mazda is fully oriented on this "fun to drive" experience. (and a lot cheaper while keeping a lot of bells and whistles).
But... for a car having a good balance in comfort, luxury feeling and driving experience, so far the TLX is the best car I tried. Only mistake is, for me, his lines. Infinity and last Mazda designs are, for me, far better than the "grand-pa" Acura one... but maybe, this may revert to be an advantage in a few years to have a timeless design.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts