Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to discuss the "bump" in upshifts that has been mentioned in reviews in the forum - including my own.

This is for the V6 with the 9AT transmission -

I get the "bump" in the upshift from 2nd to 3rd. All other shifts are butter smooth. If I upshift at a lower speed, the magnitude of the bump is reduced but it remains. My TLX has about 1350 miles on it and it may have gotten a little smoother over time, but the bump remains.

If you have experienced the "bump," please comment on whether or not it went away (completely) after a while, or your perception of whether or not it is improving.

I've seen posts which state sensing improvement, but I don't recall any stating it went away completely.

Just curious - I love the car, but would like to see the bump go away

·
Registered
80 Posts
I do get the 2nd to 3rd shift bump but not all the time. It seems to depend on how much I accelerate for one thing although other factors could come into play... Bit annoying but not as much as the engine Auto Stop.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I do get the 2nd to 3rd shift bump but not all the time. It seems to depend on how much I accelerate for one thing although other factors could come into play... Bit annoying but not as much as the engine Auto Stop.
I agree about the engine stop feature - although I make it a point to turn it off immediately after starting the car, I do forget from time to time. Most of my driving is rural, suburban with little to no traffic so I doubt I would have much fuel savings anyway with it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I do get rough/solid shifts from 1st and 2nd gear with the 9 speed transmission, even after the transmission has warmed up. All other gears are very smooth. I plan to mention it to the dealer. It’s really too bad as the car is flawless otherwise. Keep posting your issues and most dealerships have no real experience with the TLX and Acura does in fact monitor what we say.
Note; the idle stop feature can easily be shut off. Just press the button on the console, next to the brake hold feature (love this feature in traffic).

·
Registered
71 Posts
I commented on this in the transmission issues thread and can say that I still do experience this. It seems to be less noticeable after the car has had a chance to warm up, but it's still there. To me, it seems like it waits slightly too long to make the upshift.

Otherwise, I've really enjoyed driving the car, so haven't really had a reason to go to the dealer since I got it. Only have about 1700 miles so far.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I do get rough/solid shifts from 1st and 2nd gear with the 9 speed transmission, even after the transmission has warmed up. All other gears are very smooth. I plan to mention it to the dealer. It’s really too bad as the car is flawless otherwise. Keep posting your issues and most dealerships have no real experience with the TLX and Acura does in fact monitor what we say.
Note; the idle stop feature can easily be shut off. Just press the button on the console, next to the brake hold feature (love this feature in traffic).
Welcome to the forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

Tell us more about your and your TLX in the New Member section.

Everyone is interested in what you are driving. Besides being a V6, tells us about the color combo and maybe post some pics.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome and thanks for sharing your impressions. I agree - and also plan on mentioning it to my dealer at first service interval.

It is interesting that there haven't been any posts yet indicating the "bump" issue has went away completely. Also, that some get the bump at different shift intervals. I appreciate everyone taking the time to post on the thread. I am a pretty strong proponent of the TLX and apart from some differences of opinion such as Acura's choice of OEM tires think it is a very positive step for the brand.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agree with thos. It seems to have improved over time, but i only have 800km on the car so far. Accelerating harder makes the shift rougher. Almost seems like a syncing problem...

·
Registered
5 Posts
My V6 AWD also has a definite bump on the 2-3 shift. Sometimes it is more or less noticeable, but I'm not positive about what factors affect it. I notice it the most during the first few minutes of driving the car, and it also seems worse in cold weather. Perhaps it smooths out a little once the transmission fluid warms up and this takes longer at 0F than 50F.

For a while I believed it was better in Sport mode than Econ, but after switching back and forth between the modes I'm not so certain. It could just be that I drive differently in Sport mode and the 2-3 bump gets masked by quick acceleration, etc.

·
Registered
317 Posts
It's just too bad that it doesn't seem like something that will completely go away after the vehicle has been broken in, instead i'm afraid it will persist even longer. Sounds like a trip to the dealer will be involved.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I get the same issue in my V6 SH-AWD if I accelerate weakly, or on slowing down to traffic lights. It has become less over time (I'm at 1400 miles now in the 3 weeks I've had the car), although I don't know if that's the car or my driving style.

Interestingly, even some of the review drivers in the press are reporting this issue, and Acura is simply indicating they cannot duplicate the issue:

Scott Sturgis/Driver?s Seat: Despite hesitation issues, Acura TLX excels on the road | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

·
Registered
15 Posts
I too get the 2nd to 3rd bump. The severity of the bump definately varies and I'm not sure sure what causes the difference. My transmission also seems gets confused sometimes when I start to accelerate and then back off. It feels like it is preparing for a shift which it then cancels and the vehicle will surge a bit. This is primarily in lowers gears.

A previous post mentioned the dog clutches but their engagement is 4-5 and 7-8. While these shifts feel different they don't bump on my car.

If I'm still trying to figure the transmission out when I take the car in for the first service I'll bring it up to the dealer. Even so I'm not really concerned at this point.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I'm getting both of these. I din't notice until a couple of weeks ago, close to 6000kms. I haven't talked to the dealer yet.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Take the time to read this as it nicely explains why the lower gear shifts can feel abrupt. I can live with it now that I know it is not a defect.
We are one of the first to use/test out this new 9 speed transmission, so it may take a little time to get use to it.
It also explains why a lot of us never get it into 9th speed, as you have to be going over 80 mph.
You have to admit the car is pretty flawless otherwise............

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Take the time to read this as it nicely explains why the lower gear shifts can feel abrupt. I can live with it now that I know it is not a defect.
We are one of the first to use/test out this new 9 speed transmission, so it may take a little time to get use to it.
It also explains why a lot of us never get it into 9th speed, as you have to be going over 80 mph.
You have to admit the car is pretty flawless otherwise............
It is a good article - by Alex L. ***** who also does the Alex on Autos video reviews. One thing though, the doglegs in the 9AT are between 4th and 5th, and between 7th and 8th. If you have the "bump" between 2nd and 3rd, then that would not be related to the doglegs as the first 4 gears are friction clutch only. Chrysler also makes this transmission for Jeep Cherokee under license from ZF as their model 948TE/928TE transmissions. Acura's 9AT (ZF 9HP model) is made in ZF's plant in South Carolina. The transmission controller for both the Chrysler version and ZF-made are both made by ZF. Chrysler's transmission controller has both ZF and Chrysler part numbers in some pictures I have seen.

The Cherokee forum also has it's share of posts about issues and since the 9HP variants were on Cherokee longer before TLX came out, owners have already had a few software updates it seems.

Transmission Update or Not? - 2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee Forums

Hopefully, there will be either a software update or there will be some manufacturer advice on the "bump." My developing theory is that achieving smooth shifts with this transmission requires a (much) more structured break-in routine than we may be accustomed too. Just a theory at this point.

I really do like this transmission though I have a few gripes - it does quite a few things right. As far as the doglegs in the transmission are concerned, I found that engine braking delay I didn't like going from 5th down to 4th (feels like you are coasting for a second or so before the engine revs come up) can be greatly improved by just triple tapping down with the paddle from 6th to 3rd skipping 2 gears at about 45mph instead. So far, I haven't had any issues with passing delay but I have had 4 occurrences in the last week of low speed hesitation at intersections as I was making turns from a stop or low speed. In these cases, I don't think the transmission automatically downshifted as there was literally no torque for a second or so. I plan on bringing it up at first service unless it gets worse of more frequent.

·
Registered
181 Posts
One thing though, the doglegs in the 9AT are between 4th and 5th, and between 7th and 8th. If you have the "bump" between 2nd and 3rd, then that would not be related to the doglegs as the first 4 gears are friction clutch only. Chrysler also makes this transmission for Jeep Cherokee under license from ZF as their model 948TE/928TE transmissions. Acura's 9AT (ZF 9HP model) is made in ZF's plant in South Carolina. The transmission controller for both the Chrysler version and ZF-made are both made by ZF. Chrysler's transmission controller has both ZF and Chrysler part numbers in some pictures I have seen.

The Cherokee forum also has it's share of posts about issues and since the 9HP variants were on Cherokee longer before TLX came out, owners have already had a few software updates it seems.

Transmission Update or Not? - 2014 - 2015 Jeep Cherokee Forums

Hopefully, there will be either a software update or there will be some manufacturer advice on the "bump." My developing theory is that achieving smooth shifts with this transmission requires a (much) more structured break-in routine than we may be accustomed too. Just a theory at this point.

I really do like this transmission though I have a few gripes - it does quite a few things right. As far as the doglegs in the transmission are concerned, I found that engine braking delay I didn't like going from 5th down to 4th (feels like you are coasting for a second or so before the engine revs come up) can be greatly improved by just triple tapping down with the paddle from 6th to 3rd skipping 2 gears at about 45mph instead. So far, I haven't had any issues with passing delay but I have had 4 occurrences in the last week of low speed hesitation at intersections as I was making turns from a stop or low speed. In these cases, I don't think the transmission automatically downshifted as there was literally no torque for a second or so. I plan on bringing it up at first service unless it gets worse of more frequent.
Thats what I thought. I can't believe that the issues that people are reporting between 2nd and 3rd are design issues related to dog clutch. Hoping that software will take care of this.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thats what I thought. I can't believe that the issues that people are reporting between 2nd and 3rd are design issues related to dog clutch. Hoping that software will take care of this.
I'd like to see a software update along with more detailed information on how the transmission "learns" the driver's preferences. As I stated, it is only a theory, but I think break-in and training this transmission has a big impact on the smoothness of the shifts. During the first 500 miles, I took it fairly easy with the exception of a few interstate onramps to let it stretch its legs. (who could resist the urge, anyway?) But I still have the bump. I am virtually 100% sure that the issues can be resolved with software/re-training the transmission based on the amount of development ZF has in it. I wish I knew a way to reset it and re-teach it to experiment a little to see if it makes a difference.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts