Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased my TLX Type S and the first time I was loading the trunk I noticed that on the right side the trunk is almost touching the rear bumper. I contacted the dealership I ordered it from and now I have to bring it in so they can take pictures and submit to Acura. My question is I already have pictures can I go thru Acura myself and use the body shop of my choice to get it fixed. I told the dealership obviously their delivery team and sale manager didn’t notice this massive defect upon delivery so how can I trust them to repair/fix this if they didn’t notice this upon delivery. The best part is they told me I would have to wait a week to drop it off so they could find me a loaner car. Radley Acura, Falls Church, Va.
Tire Car Wheel Sky Vehicle

·
Registered
2021 Acura TLX A-Spec SH-AWD
170 Posts
I purchased my TLX Type S and the first time I was loading the trunk I noticed that on the right side the trunk is almost touching the rear bumper. I contacted the dealership I ordered it from and now I have to bring it in so they can take pictures and submit to Acura. My question is I already have pictures can I go thru Acura myself and use the body shop of my choice to get it fixed. I told the dealership obviously their delivery team and sale manager didn’t notice this massive defect upon delivery so how can I trust them to repair/fix this if they didn’t notice this upon delivery. The best part is they told me I would have to wait a week to drop it off so they could find me a loaner car. Radley Acura, Falls Church, Va.

To be fair to Acura....you didn't notice the "massive defect" when you bought it. Taking an unnecessarily rude attitude towards the dealer isn't necessarily going to help you if you need help in the future. The car is under warranty and they have an obligation to fix it for you for free. Asking Acura to pay a bodyshop to repair something that you didn't notice without giving them the chance to right the wrong is the definition of poor customer behavior.

Now, to be fair to you, it won't surprise me if they let you down. However, I still think you owe them that chance to make it right.

·
Registered
8 Posts
To be fair to Acura....you didn't notice the "massive defect" when you bought it. Taking an unnecessarily rude attitude towards the dealer isn't necessarily going to help you if you need help in the future. The car is under warranty and they have an obligation to fix it for you for free. Asking Acura to pay a bodyshop to repair something that you didn't notice without giving them the chance to right the wrong is the definition of poor customer behavior.

Now, to be fair to you, it won't surprise me if they let you down. However, I still think you owe them that chance to make it right.
I agree with you, this isn't the dealer's fault. A dealer should be expected to check that the paint doesn't have chips, the alignment is OK and to look for other things that can reasonably be expected to go wrong in the delivery process (my dealer missed these things but I still went back to them to get them addressed, which they did). An improperly installed trunk isn't something the dealer should be needing to look for. That's an issue in the factory. Trying to go over/around them to get someone else to fix the issue I think is not a great idea, it's just going to irritate them and make them less helpful with future issues with the car. And from my limited experience with this "luxury" brand, there will be some more.

On the other hand, this IS a ridiculous quality issue on behalf of the troglodytes who are assembling these cars in Ohio. I still believe in Honda quality for the mechanical parts the make the car run, but I'll not be buying another Acura due to the fit & finish issues that seem way too commonplace.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I dont think its your trunk lid. Looking at both sides the trunk gap and height to the rear quarter panels looks even. Think it might be a defective bumper cover.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I agree with you, this isn't the dealer's fault. A dealer should be expected to check that the paint doesn't have chips, the alignment is OK and to look for other things that can reasonably be expected to go wrong in the delivery process (my dealer missed these things but I still went back to them to get them addressed, which they did). An improperly installed trunk isn't something the dealer should be needing to look for. That's an issue in the factory. Trying to go over/around them to get someone else to fix the issue I think is not a great idea, it's just going to irritate them and make them less helpful with future issues with the car. And from my limited experience with this "luxury" brand, there will be some more.

On the other hand, this IS a ridiculous quality issue on behalf of the troglodytes who are assembling these cars in Ohio. I still believe in Honda quality for the mechanical parts the make the car run, but I'll not be buying another Acura due to the fit & finish issues that seem way too commonplace.
I agree that it is something that Acura should address and it is clear that the 2G TLX is living up to the reputation that it's a dangerous gamble to buy the first year of any major model change. My car has recently developed an issue where the radio will crackle intermittently under acceleration. I didn't catch a pretty significant defect in the front glass when I bought my car and only noticed it when I was turning and looked through the right side of the windshield and saw two vertical lines in the windshield. Took it to the dealer and was told, "Yeah....not going to do anything about it". And I hate that I can't be talking on the phone when I get in the car because it fails to properly hand off the call.

·
Registered
170 Posts
What was the dealers reason for not fixing the windshield. Time to call Acura customer service.
They told me that the defect fell within acceptable parameters. It's only visible when you are looking directly at it with the car moving and there are objects of different color and shape in the background. There are two vertical "lines" in the glass that are about six inches long and 2-3 inches apart.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A-Spec, 2020 TLX A-Spec, Performance Red Pearl with Ebony, 2017 Acura TLX
42 Posts
I purchased my TLX Type S and the first time I was loading the trunk I noticed that on the right side the trunk is almost touching the rear bumper. I contacted the dealership I ordered it from and now I have to bring it in so they can take pictures and submit to Acura. My question is I already have pictures can I go thru Acura myself and use the body shop of my choice to get it fixed. I told the dealership obviously their delivery team and sale manager didn’t notice this massive defect upon delivery so how can I trust them to repair/fix this if they didn’t notice this upon delivery. The best part is they told me I would have to wait a week to drop it off so they could find me a loaner car. Radley Acura, Falls Church, Va. View attachment 26818
I would not crap on the dealership if you took delivery of the vehicle and did not notice a manufacturing defect. Don't blame the dealership, they didn't build the car.
Many misaligned panels can typically be corrected at the dealership. They can also use an Acura Certified Body Shop to correct other issues including paint concerns.
The process is that the service manager contacts his local Acura representative and submits photos of the vehicle in question. The Acura rep decides the best course of action for repair and the warranty claim. Dealerships love warranty work because they are paid by Acura Corporation. So don't assume the dealership does not want to make this right for you. It also helps coming in with the right attitude. Just like anything in life people are going to want to help you more if you are kind and patient.

·
Registered
2022 Acura MDX A-Spec, 2020 TLX A-Spec, Performance Red Pearl with Ebony, 2017 Acura TLX
42 Posts
I agree that it is something that Acura should address and it is clear that the 2G TLX is living up to the reputation that it's a dangerous gamble to buy the first year of any major model change. My car has recently developed an issue where the radio will crackle intermittently under acceleration. I didn't catch a pretty significant defect in the front glass when I bought my car and only noticed it when I was turning and looked through the right side of the windshield and saw two vertical lines in the windshield. Took it to the dealer and was told, "Yeah....not going to do anything about it". And I hate that I can't be talking on the phone when I get in the car because it fails to properly hand off the call.
There is a service bulletin concerning stereo performance (static, cutting in and out, etc) on 2021 TLX's. It is a simple replacement of some wiring harnesses. Call the dealership and make an appointment.

·
Registered
170 Posts
There is a service bulletin concerning stereo performance (static, cutting in and out, etc) on 2021 TLX's. It is a simple replacement of some wiring harnesses. Call the dealership and make an appointment.
Good to know. I actually just set up my six month service and asked them to check the static issue. They said that they'll take a look at it. Thanks for the mention of the TSB.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts