Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I had my TLX SH-AWD with Tech for just over a month and 1,100 miles. My intro post is here:

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/tlx-owners-check-area/6906-new-owner-tlx-v6-sh-awd-tech.html

Now that I've really broken it in I thought I's share my likes/dislikes and frustrations. I do really like the car and am happy I bought it. Just have some disappointment with a few "features" and odd design decisions. I traded in a 2006 TL FWD, so many of my comments are based on that comparison. Here goes:

• AWD - never had before...like the handling much better than old fwd TL...on both dry pavement and in snow. Steering is much more rsponsive and tigher as well
  • Exterior Styling - It has really grown on me. Originally preferred the A4 and Q50 styling but TLX has grown on me and in retrpsoect think the A4 was just too conservative for my taste
  • All the technology - its owerwhelming at first but much of it I really appreciate, favorites are the blind spot warning, reaer cross traffic warning, LKAS, and all the audio source options
  • Nav System - works really well and well designed. Much better than other car systems and blows away trying to use a Garmin or app like Waze
  • IDS - this is a nice feature....although I typically only use the Regular and Sport modes
  • Brake Hold - took me a few weeks to figure out what this even is but use it often...especially when stuck in heavy traffic

Dislikes:
  • Absolutely HATE the auto shut-off. Had there not been a way to turn that off I would have returned the car and gotten a different model. I can't imagine the gas savings it supposedly provides is anythign appreciable, and it is so unpredicatble when it shuts down and rough/delayed on start up and it kills the driving experience for me.
  • Shifting in Sport + Mode - I see a lot of complaints about the transmission on the forum. The only realy issue I have is when in Sport + mode. However they have programmed it it simply is not right. The car lurches too much when both upshifting and down shifting. Not sure of the gears, but downshifting (3rd to 2nd maybe?) the revs spike by about 1,000+ RPMS and the car lurches forward to the point I feel I need to hit the brake. It obviously downshifts when you are reducing speed of the car and you don;t expect it to lurch forward when you're applying the brakes. Because of this I seldom use Sport +. If all modes performed like this I would have returned the car.
  • Inside door covering - Bizarre that this got through design. The top of the doors look so cheap wiuth that big hunk of vinyl. I almost didn't buy the dar because of it...but couldn't let that be the deciding factor. Needs more leather and wood grain.
  • Touch screen controls - Its great all of the functions you can now perform because of the touchscreen, but a few of the basics are just too hard: 1) turning on the heated seats. Big failure here. Needs a mechanical button you can click on as soon as getting in the car. Having to wait for button to appear, find the button, click button, click setting level, then click "x" to close is a real pain to do everytime I start the car in the winter. The seat setting is not even part of the climate shortcuts...so I can't save it with my favorite climate control setting. Very bad design. 2) Like to simply move through XM and FM stations one by one easily. Touchscreen and dial on the wheel make this too hard.
  • Voice Contols - Just don;t work well for me. Maybe I will get the hang of it with time, but it expects way too much driver knowledge to use them effectively. I want fewer options that work better. Not a million options that I need to learn a new language to use. Also sucks having to wait for system to boot up upon starting the car..
  • Audio system - 2 real issues: 1) The bass stinks. Have bass and SW turned too max but still not too my liking. I've read about turning off noise cancellation but have not tried yet. Stinks that I need to have to. 2) presets are grouped by source. This may seem minor but its a pain. If I'm listening to FM 98.7 and want to switch to XM7 or a Pandora radio station, I don;t want to toggle between the sources and then have to find the right preset. You should be able to create one group of presets regardless of source. My wife's Buick Enclave has this and it makes such sense.

Annoyances:
  • Traction control does not have a feedback light on the button.
  • DIC sits too high...I cant see it without looking "under" steering wheel
  • Climate controls don't seem to work consistently. Does the auto function even work?
  • Would like to change a default setting so doors would lock automatically if I move 30 or so feet from car. I shouldn't have to manually lock the doors.
  • Would like to default auto shut off "feature" to be OFF
  • Pandora and A-Ha work inconsistently. Not sure if its Apple's fault, the apps, or the car, but I always seem to have to try multiple times to get the source to connect
  • Acura Link Traffic - this really doesnt seem to work well at all. Only works on very major roads nar me and it never seems to be right. There's a road near me thats been closed for construction for 1+ months yet its not smart enough to know. Not sure where the traffic info comes from, but its not accurate

A few other thoughts:
  • For some reason, the Pandora audio quality is MUCH better than any other source, including XM, FM, or music right on my i-phone. The USB i-phone connection is much better than the bluetooth.
  • I really can't believe this car did not come with fog lights. I need to buy the advance package? Really? My 1994 Integra cost $15K and came with fog lights.
  • My Dealer is horrible. They knew nothing about the car and its technology. They never even told me about many of the features. I went back to the dealer to ask about defaulting Brake Hold ON and auto shut-off OFF and they had no idea what the features even were. Salesman even sent me to the Service Mgr who "knows everything" and he had no clue. He thought Parking Brake and Brake Hold were same thing. When I told him about the auto shut-off he looked at me like I had three heads and said " if the car is stalling at red lights you may have a bad tank of gas" Thanks for nothing.

That's all I can thing of for now. Sorry for the long post but thought some may appreciate. Would be interested to hear what others think about some of these annoyances and issues.

·
Registered
666 Posts
All reasonable positive and negative comments. My 2 cents on a few points (most of which have already been discussed in detail in other posts):

- Auto shut-off: do so reading here as there are ways to effectively manage it (light vs hard press of break pedal and jiggle steering wheel to restart). Yes, they should have provided and option to disable it, maybe for 2016 model.
- Inside door covering: no idea what you are referring to. I have no complaints here.
- Touch screen has been raised many time. The Advance/Elite do not have these problems.
- Audio System: look for a post here about a possible ultimate setting that provides a good overall experience. Bass could be lacking for some people.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Good summary of my findings, and far more thorough. lots of posts on many of the items.

AWD rocks. Peripd.
Idle stop sucks. Period.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
- Inside door covering: no idea what you are referring to. I have no complaints here.
I know its personal opinion, but there is too much cheap vinyl covering the top 3rd of the door panel. It reminds me of something you'd see in a much cheaper economy car. They needed to be more liberal with the leather and wood grain. S60, Q50, IS350, 318i, A4...all look much more luxurious. Like what a luxury car in this price range should.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.