Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone here had done rust proofing on your TLX yet?
Drip one or drip less one you chose.
Hole drilled or not?

2015 TLX Pearl white SH AWD

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Anyone here had done rust proofing on your TLX yet?
Drip one or drip less one you chose.
Hole drilled or not?
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

When you get a chance please introduce yourself. Maybe tell us about your TLX or your dreams to get a TLX? :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
Is the car not already rust proofed? Seems like that would be taken care of these days especially on a car that bills itself as a luxury sedan.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Here is a screen shot of the Acura Canada rust warranty. If someone is going to keep their car longer that what it is warrantied it might be worth it. Having said that, I never keep my cars long enough to have had to do much researching which one would be better.

·
Registered
727 Posts
^ doing what you're doing, not keeping vehicles for long enough to worry about the long term is whats best.

I rather allocate my time to better things and get a new car ever 4-ish years.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is a screen shot of the Acura Canada rust warranty. If someone is going to keep their car longer that what it is warrantied it might be worth it. Having said that, I never keep my cars long enough to have had to do much researching which one would be better.

My RL started to see rust on rear fender. I tends to keep this TLX longer.
Any good advice? Corrosion free or rust check or krona?.

·
Registered
727 Posts
My RL started to see rust on rear fender. I tends to keep this TLX longer.
Any good advice? Corrosion free or rust check or krona?.
Those places will likely use a rust inhibitor.
But being a fender and consider how rust spreads, like cancer, replacing the entire fender might be a good thing to consider.

But how bad is the rust?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Wouldn't it make sense to not worry about this for a few years though? Get the rust protection done in your third or fourth year of ownership instead.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I think if I was going to get to down I'd get it done right away so the rust process doesn't start. Even though it's warrantied, I'm sure exposure to the salt takes its toll over years right from the beginning.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think if I was going to get to down I'd get it done right away so the rust process doesn't start. Even though it's warrantied, I'm sure exposure to the salt takes its toll over years right from the beginning.
I absolutely agreed but the question is the type of rust proof.
Rubberized rust proof or corrosion free

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
i really don't know enough about them to be honest. My daughter had the Krown rust rotection and in the winter when it seaps on to the paint, all the dirt sticks to it and it looks awful. I'm guessing that's what it's supposed to do in a sense as the dirt sticks to the oil instead of the paint. The rubberized coating seems a bit cleaner but again, I'm not sure if one is more effective than the other.

I did hear about an electronic module that is supposed to prevent rust as well. The reviews online aren't favourable but a lot of people seem to be buying them.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My bro-in-law swears by Krown Rust Protection for his trucks. You have ot do a basic reapply every year. Like some mention, I never keep a car long enough for it to rust. With all the galv steel/aluminum and the sealent used in new cars, I think its pretty rare to see these days unless its an improperly performed repair, chip, scratch.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bro-in-law swears by Krown Rust Protection for his trucks. You have ot do a basic reapply every year. Like some mention, I never keep a car long enough for it to rust. With all the galv steel/aluminum and the sealent used in new cars, I think its pretty rare to see these days unless its an improperly performed repair, chip, scratch.
It appears known use petroleum based product that would swell up the rubber weather strip. Corrosion free will not but still have not seen any long term result yet.

·
Registered
727 Posts
That is the best way to go about it, keeping new vehicles and getting rid of them within 4-5 years of ownership which would leave you to be carefree of rust :)

For someone with a used older vehicle, that's where the power of rust proofing really shines.

All depends on which category you fit in.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Not every person is so quick to give up their vehicle after 4-5 years. Average of a vehicle on the road is 11 years. Acura is a bit more affluent, but still.

I really just don't worry about rust. Maybe I'd put some protector on in the 4th or 5th year of ownership.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Not every person is so quick to give up their vehicle after 4-5 years. Average of a vehicle on the road is 11 years. Acura is a bit more affluent, but still.

I really just don't worry about rust. Maybe I'd put some protector on in the 4th or 5th year of ownership.

Totally agree. If I were to keep my car that long I would consider it especially in the northern climates.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have used Rust-Check before and it did swell rubber seals. They also drill holes in your car to put in the stuff. I don't know if the formula has changed over the years but I would lean to Krown if I were to rust inhibit my car.

Hunter

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
After 4-5 years when the car is out of warranty, I wouldn't even want to think about the repair/maint costs of the navi, sh-awd, vtec, brake, suspension costs of these cars. Used older out of warranty these cars will cost a fortune to keep.

·
Registered
21 Posts
If you are in a place that uses Potassium Acetate (such as Alberta, Canada) as a deicing salt, I would go for a rubberized or plastic type of coating instead of a zinc/galvanized coating. While the potassium acetate won't cause your car to rust, it reacts readily with zinc which means it will strip away the rust protection, revealing the steel to the elements.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Is there any DIY rust proofing kits? Now i'm wondering whats the cleanest, best stuff to go with. Ziebart is suppose to be really good stuff for the undercarriage as well, but it might be a bit pricey.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts