Registered
438 Posts
"by acura standards"

Reactions: typeess

·
Registered
438 Posts
i find that for these numbers you need to put them into perspective

sure, numbers are low for the TLX compared to bmw and mercedes which are high on the list

but isn't that partially because bmw and mercedes do not last for more than 4 years in the first place? i would bet that most of those high sales are off-lease people who want to stay for the brand for another lease to avoid major repair costs

so in retrospect, if acura wants higher sales, should they make cars that dont last as long as they do now? but if they do that then people will complain that acura is no longer reliable, yet nobody complains about bmw or mb being unreliable for some odd reason

that being said, acura needs to improve their "looks" department if they really want to compete

just a personal opinion

·
Registered
260 Posts
I do think that it is the design department of Acura that needs to step it up to really compete in the luxury market. Changing the design language for the entire lineup would probably be a good thing the brand. Right now they can get by on technology, but to really start making strides they need to update their designs.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I think those numbers are "low" if you can really say that, because of two reasons:

1) The take rate on the V6's was higher than they planned given all of the positive press for the I4. So there weren't enough on the lots to meet demand with the various configurations.

2) The SH-AWD only started shipping this month so these numbers will be above and beyond September #'s

That said, the first two months of sales are actually very impressive.....for Acura.

·
Registered
30 Posts
"Yet among premium brand passenger cars, nothing else sold more often than the TLX in September 2014, not the Lexus IS, Audi A4, Infiniti Q50, Mercedes-Benz CLA, Audi A3, or the Cadillac CTS." ... "If the TLX sells like the TL of a decade ago, we’d be shocked. If it continues to outsell increasingly popular cars like the Lexus IS, Infiniti Q50, and Audi A3, we might just have to call it a hit."

Acura is doing great. Keep in mind, even if this was the greatest car ever, people would take time to find it. My wife didn't even want at an Acura. I dragged her down and showed her the TLX, and she liked it. The more I told her about the features, the more she was convinced. In the end Mercedes C class lost a sale, and she loves her TLX.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Curious, the MB C400 was the last other car I tested before I pulled the trigger on the TLX. What was the thing that made you go with Acura? I didn't really like the twin scroll turbo with its lag even though it was a fast car, numbers are certainly not everything. Interior wise I thought the Acura was more practical and I didn't relish the ipad like device in the middle of the dash as an afterthought. But I go on.......your reasons?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Curious, the MB C400 was the last other car I tested before I pulled the trigger on the TLX. What was the thing that made you go with Acura? I didn't really like the twin scroll turbo with its lag even though it was a fast car, numbers are certainly not everything. Interior wise I thought the Acura was more practical and I didn't relish the ipad like device in the middle of the dash as an afterthought. But I go on.......your reasons?
i looked at the 2015 C300 and i find the overly flashy and baller interior with the chinese knock-off ipad sticking out like a sore thumb to be a turn off......and the price too

the 2014 C300 looked much more modest but stock was really low by the end of the summer so.....

·
Registered
30 Posts
My wife isn't a sporty driver. For her the TLX drove nicely, was quiet, and cost 10-15K less than a comparable Mercedes. Also, since she buys, she was concerned about future maintenance and repair costs. The TLX has a better display, with touch screen. And as mentioned, the Mercedes display does look out of place.

For me, I think cost, features, and reliability are much better on the TLX.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts