1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
666 Posts
-18C, ouch. Some like the snow, other like the sun. The snow can be fun when you have the tools and fittings. Thanks for sharing and showing me what I am missing for a couple of weeks.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
A while back, our moderator asked for some pictures of the TLX in the snow.

I remembered to take some today. It was just after dawn, so the light is not that good. (Plus, it was about minus 18 C)

Here they are...

https://plus.google.com/photos/1145...ms/6113546392181730801?authkey=CMn3vubVjtu1HQ

(I hope the link works... Last week, I learned Youtube.. this week, I am learning Google+)
Thanks @bruce dow .

Snow pictures look so good. Thanks for sharing. That is cold and you did get a good amount of snow.

It's 62F here with no chance of snow. Enjoy!

·
Registered
238 Posts
So perhaps some of you have heard about the snow we've had in the northeast.

My neighbor in my condo complex in a Boston suburb is complaining about the snow covering her window -- she lives on the *second* floor. Amazing power of the wind and its ability to create 20 foot snowpiles

Anyway, here's my TLX (SH-AWD) parked in the Bretton Woods parking lot in New Hampshire in early January. That's Mt. Washington in the background, with a peak of around 6300 feet. Bretton Woods is to the west of Mt. Washington by about 8 miles.

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's my TLX last weekend in the Wildcat Ski Resort parking lot, situated 2 miles to the east of Mt. Washington in the background. The AWD really comes in handy getting to/from here.

And with temperatures at -4 degF at the base and closer to -25 degF with the wind chill at the peak, heated seats never felt so good to sit in after a long day of skiing
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
And here's my TLX parked at Attitash Ski Resort (15 miles south of Mt. Washington) by some of the slope-side condos 2 weeks ago. This is *before* the two most recent blizzards; snow piles are a lot higher right now.

Final photo is the driveway up the hill to the resort -- this is where SH-AWD does its magic. Didn't slip at all going up the hill.

Sometimes it almost looks like the clay modeling of cars.... gives me an idea for the next snowstorm later this week
;)

Attachments

·
Registered
238 Posts
@andleigh ,

Very nice photos. Almost makes me want to take my I4 up there. :)
Come on up. We've got a smaller 6" storm for this Thursday, and another possible blizzard for Sunday.

Most of the snowbanks on roadways are 8 feet tall now -- nowhere left to put the snow. My front yard is under 5 feet of snow -- will be a while til the grass gets mowed.

And because of this succession of blizzards and the holiday season, my workplace has not had a complete work week since mid-December due to all these snow days. Reminds me of being a kid waiting for snowing days!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Come on up. We've got a smaller 6" storm for this Thursday, and another possible blizzard for Sunday.

Most of the snowbanks on roadways are 8 feet tall now -- nowhere left to put the snow. My front yard is under 5 feet of snow -- will be a while til the grass gets mowed.

And because of this succession of blizzards and the holiday season, my workplace has not had a complete work week since mid-December due to all these snow days. Reminds me of being a kid waiting for snowing days!
Wow! Sounds tempting but I still have to go to work. :(
Sure would like to see the snow though.

With all your talk about skiing, I thought you might be retired. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
Final photo is the driveway up the hill to the resort -- this is where SH-AWD does its magic. Didn't slip at all going up the hill.
Great photos, and an excellent justification for SH-AWD and I assume the corresponding winter tires. Nothing like that in Toronto, but a different story just an hours drive north.

·
Registered
681 Posts

Beantown has been hit with snow this year, which might might explain all those ski photos @andleigh!

What tires are you running through those snow storms? I see standard TLX rims?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Wow! Sounds tempting but I still have to go to work. :(
Sure would like to see the snow though.

With all your talk about skiing, I thought you might be retired. :)
Nope, not retired, but wish I was
:)
Still have a full-time engineering job, but I do make a point of skiing as much as I can -- already skied 30 days this season alone, with Mother Nature / Old Man Winter providing some significant assistance the last 3 weeks (including right now)

Will try to get more snowy TLX pics as the opportunity presents

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
238 Posts
Beantown has been hit with snow this year, which might might explain all those ski photos @andleigh!

What tires are you running through those snow storms? I see standard TLX rims?
Yes, we've had 6 feet of snow in 17 days, with another blizzard coming in right now with another 12-18" expected in the next 24 hours. Another snowstorm possible for Wednesday.

Just heard on the news that Boston has had more snow in just February than has ever fallen in entire season in Chicago.

I'm running the Acura 19" rims with dealer-installed Michelin all-seasons. These tires are okay, although I found the Bridgestone potenza G-009 and the Bridgestone AS-03 all-seasons I ran on my earlier civic gripped the snow/ice better so I'll probably go fancier when these tires wear out. Also planning on winter tires on my other set of 18" rims.

On a side note, the last snowstorm really confused the parking sensors and collision warning and lane keep, with warnings lighting up the dash like a christmas tree as the snow and slush stuck to the car. Also given up on trying to keep the rear-view camera clean -- just too much snow, salt and sand lately to be practical here. That said, on the sunny days, I totally love the lane keep feature and it's still my favorite feature on the car in addition to sh-awd.

·
Registered
110 Posts
It looks like I'll get chance to use my TLX SH-AWD tomorrow in snow. Our forecast for Southern Indiana is calling for 5-8". So far this winter, we have only had light dustings of less than 1"

Because our area seldom gets much snow, the state and local snow removal is not very good compared to areas farther north in Indiana. We shall see.

·
Registered
681 Posts
It looks like I'll get chance to use my TLX SH-AWD tomorrow in snow. Our forecast for Southern Indiana is calling for 5-8". So far this winter, we have only had light dustings of less than 1"

Because our area seldom gets much snow, the state and local snow removal is not very good compared to areas farther north in Indiana. We shall see.
Have fun experimenting - safely of course!>:D

·
Super Moderator
1,081 Posts
We got 20+ inches yesterday. That doubled the amount of snow in this season. Closed the interstate for most of the day. Temperatures were right around freezing, so this is that heavy snow! I made it to work before all that snow arrived so my TLX was pretty buried when I got out to go home. Remote start helped to warm up the windows. I took my time to clean off the snow, but did nothing about the snow in front or behind me. I slowly moved forward then back to get a running start to plow through the 3 foot drift in front of me. My X-ICE worked great in getting me out.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.