Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been following the NSX closely as of late and an interesting thought just popped into my head about a potential TLX hybrid. The NSX hybrid is destined to be a performance hybrid making use of three electric motors coupled to a mid mounted V6. Two electric engines at the front wheels to vector power side to side based on cornering demands and one motor mounted between the power and the gear box to add extra jump during hard acceleration, stand still starts and over taking.

My thought is is it possible for this type of set-up to trickle down to the TLX? I mean TLX is already going to see the PAWS system from the upmarket RLX and the Jewel Eye headlights have become a brand wide thing.

A Hybrid of this nature is not exactly dedicated to fuel sipping, but most hybrids are woefully ineffective. Id rather buy a hybrid of this nature than the rolling political statements we see proliferating our roads.

What do you guys think, performance hybrid or typical hybrid?

·
Registered
18 Posts
What do you guys think, performance hybrid or typical hybrid?..... that's a tough one.

The TLX will be one of the most popular Acura's and having a performance hybrid and typical hybrid would be a great thing, it will just depend on where Acura wants to go with the brand.

Having fuel efficient gasoline models and a high trim Hybrid like the RLX is probably the best way to go.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What do you guys think, performance hybrid or typical hybrid?..... that's a tough one.

The TLX will be one of the most popular Acura's and having a performance hybrid and typical hybrid would be a great thing, it will just depend on where Acura wants to go with the brand.

Having fuel efficient gasoline models and a high trim Hybrid like the RLX is probably the best way to go.

But couldn't you see Acura having a high class cruising Hybrid in the RLX and also making the lower TLK a performance Hybrid? The Infiniti Q50 is a performance hybrid, and i really feel acura needs to aim at the Q50 for any chance of success with the TLX...

·
Registered
339 Posts
A TLX hybrid would sell but the problem is that it would skewer the sales of the RLX hybrid. If it offers the exact same drivetrain I'm not sure if people will buy the RLX hybrid that is set to release just for a little bit of extra luxury.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A TLX hybrid would sell but the problem is that it would skewer the sales of the RLX hybrid. If it offers the exact same drivetrain I'm not sure if people will buy the RLX hybrid that is set to release just for a little bit of extra luxury.
Thats not entirely true, Just becasue they share powerplants doesnt mean the two vehicles cannibalize each other. The Ford Escape and Focus share almost all their engine choices but there is very little cross shopping between Escape and Focus.

But in any case that just supports my argument for the TLX to be a performance hybrid. Give folks a difference of flavor between the RLX and TLX. I'd say Acura could even flip it and make the RLX the performance hybrid and the TLX a run of the mill hybrid but then its diametric to what the two vehicles are positioned for.

RLX is to be a stately cruiser, so its should be the smooth and silent hybrid, a Performance Hybrid drivetrain would be wasted on the RLX. TLX is supposed to be mainstream and appealing to younger buyers much like the TSX did a few years ago, why not make it spunky and engaging?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thats not entirely true, Just becasue they share powerplants doesnt mean the two vehicles cannibalize each other. The Ford Escape and Focus share almost all their engine choices but there is very little cross shopping between Escape and Focus.

But in any case that just supports my argument for the TLX to be a performance hybrid. Give folks a difference of flavor between the RLX and TLX. I'd say Acura could even flip it and make the RLX the performance hybrid and the TLX a run of the mill hybrid but then its diametric to what the two vehicles are positioned for.

RLX is to be a stately cruiser, so its should be the smooth and silent hybrid, a Performance Hybrid drivetrain would be wasted on the RLX. TLX is supposed to be mainstream and appealing to younger buyers much like the TSX did a few years ago, why not make it spunky and engaging?
this statement is so true on many levels, the TLX market and RLX market will have very little crossover IMO.

The TLX will cater to people who wanted a TSX and of course a TL, I can almost guarantee there will be a big price hike from the TLX to RLX which will take away from a lot of potential cross shopping.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Acura should definitely take the hybrid technology that they have been developing for the NSX and put that in a car that is more likely to be bought by the everyman. Electric sports cars are a niche indeed, but electric luxury sedans are up and coming. If the NSX technology is as great as they say it is, why not put that into another vehicle that they are likely to make profit off of?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Acura should definitely take the hybrid technology that they have been developing for the NSX and put that in a car that is more likely to be bought by the everyman. Electric sports cars are a niche indeed, but electric luxury sedans are up and coming. If the NSX technology is as great as they say it is, why not put that into another vehicle that they are likely to make profit off of?
hybrid power trains are expensive and not meant for a lot of the everyday man. I would say next gen S2000 but even that would be expensive

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hybrid power trains are expensive and not meant for a lot of the everyday man. I would say next gen S2000 but even that would be expensive
but thats the only way to bring the cost down, give it to the every man. Its economies of scale, if you can produce something in large quantities the price/unit comes way down. Think of it as buying in bulk.

So TLX could be a great way for Acura to turn quick profits on their new Hybrid System...

Plus the Accord has a hybrid now, TLX will be same car...

·
Registered
727 Posts
but thats the only way to bring the cost down, give it to the every man. Its economies of scale, if you can produce something in large quantities the price/unit comes way down. Think of it as buying in bulk.

So TLX could be a great way for Acura to turn quick profits on their new Hybrid System...

Plus the Accord has a hybrid now, TLX will be same car...
Yeah they can use the TLX's platform for the next S2000, they are doing this with the NSX, which it's platform is loosely based off of the RLX. Even still any hybrid in that range will easily be $50k or more, but capped at around $60 fully optioned out. Or at least under RLX prices.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It just depends on the next while and how much of a demand there will be for these hybrid performance cars. If other automakers come out with them on the market then there might be a decrease in price but still not much.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I wouldn't argue with you on that one. For both performance and technology in one vehicle int hat price category they are in the lead unless Acura could come up with something better in the TLX but I doubt it.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I wouldn't argue with you on that one. For both performance and technology in one vehicle int hat price category they are in the lead unless Acura could come up with something better in the TLX but I doubt it.
Acura fails to break their cycle of small improvements and nothing ground breaking from generation to generation. Just look at the RL and RLX, I wouldn't waste my money on a RLX, I rather buy a slightly used RL. Even reviewers say Acura could have done a much better job and failed on this opportunity to do something amazing.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Apart from trying to improve the interior even further Acura really needs to look at their drivetrain.

THe RLX should have never been sold in FWD config. It should only be AWD.

And Acura really needs a V6 that is DOHC and runs on a timing chain.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I can agree to the RLX being just AWD but the price is what makes the judgement call. The FWD I think is more affordable than the tech savy AWD model.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can agree to the RLX being just AWD but the price is what makes the judgement call. The FWD I think is more affordable than the tech savy AWD model.
yea but luxury buyers don't want affordable, they can buy toyotas like the rest of us for that. To a luxury buyer more dollars equals more quality. I didnt make the rules, I just take advantage of them...

·
Registered
727 Posts
It is much cheaper, better for people who dont care so much for a fun driving experience and just want a nice reliable luxury cruiser. Forums have a lot of true enthusiasts so I can see a lot of AWD owners being on here.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They are the only FWD model in that section.

its miserable.
exactly how is anyone expected to take Acura seriously. I think Acura is not trying to compete with the true luxury players but to give people who think they are luxurious an option.

I hear many people waxing on about how high class their Acura is, I just dont have the heart to tell them it has Honda tags on it ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.