Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering the TLX as well as some other vehicles. My wife drives a 2012 MDX and I previously had a 1994 Integra GSR. We also had a TSX Wagon for s short period of time but it had some issues and was traded for the MDX. I have owned several BMWs, the last one being a 2008 535i, and recently had a 2013 Outback LTD which I gave to my daughter recently. I have driven the 2.5 TLX and liked it although wasn't blown away. I have yet to drive the 3.5. I live in the South, no real need for 4wd and I put on a bunch of miles so the difference in fuel economy of the 4wd would make a difference to be (30,000 mi/yr). I am not inclined to get the 3.5 because of the "nose heavy" reviews but will drive myself. I am considering BMW 3 series, 2015 Outback as alternative. I read one review where the reviewer complained about the lack of efficacy/brightness of the LED headlights. Have any of you owners had the same issues. I belong to both the Outback and 4Runner forums and those that have tried to replace their headlights with LED's have been disappointed and went with HID or Halogens instead with much brighter more penetrating light. Thanks.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have not done any special tests of the lighting but the beams are very sharply defined, think of a rectangular box projected ahead. This prevent direct glare to oncoming traffic. They work very well for my night driving in city streets and highways that have reasonable lighting.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I haven't tested, but I have read that they are nearly twice as bright as the HID or Zenon lights.
Going from my ILX to the TLX I can confirm they give me twice if not more the brightness of before.
I can tell from miles away as well if its an acura (With Jewel eye headlights) coming at me because they are so sharp and bright!!

And TLX2014 is right, they cut the lights too so you don't waste light blinding the drivers coming the other way and more of its focused at the road.

·
Registered
121 Posts
In my previous car a 2008 Honda Pilot came with projector beam halogens which were disappointing in their light output. I researched to get the proper conversion kit and went to a Phillips HID setup - a huge improvement. The headlights in TLX go even a step further with a flood of blue-white light piercing the darkness. I leave for work at 4:30 AM every morning so I do appreciate the safety of these headlights. I live in an area with a lot of deer and these lights have saved me a few times. If I have any complaints I would say the drivers side on mine could be adjusted just a tad higher due to the sharp cutoff. I would not hesitate due to the LED, from my observations it throws a stronger more even pattern than HID.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I am considering the TLX as well as some other vehicles. My wife drives a 2012 MDX and I previously had a 1994 Integra GSR. We also had a TSX Wagon for s short period of time but it had some issues and was traded for the MDX. I have owned several BMWs, the last one being a 2008 535i, and recently had a 2013 Outback LTD which I gave to my daughter recently. I have driven the 2.5 TLX and liked it although wasn't blown away. I have yet to drive the 3.5. I live in the South, no real need for 4wd and I put on a bunch of miles so the difference in fuel economy of the 4wd would make a difference to be (30,000 mi/yr). I am not inclined to get the 3.5 because of the "nose heavy" reviews but will drive myself. I am considering BMW 3 series, 2015 Outback as alternative. I read one review where the reviewer complained about the lack of efficacy/brightness of the LED headlights. Have any of you owners had the same issues. I belong to both the Outback and 4Runner forums and those that have tried to replace their headlights with LED's have been disappointed and went with HID or Halogens instead with much brighter more penetrating light. Thanks.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

Also glad to see other members greeted you as well.

I love the LEDs. I have had HIDs in the past and was impressed, but I believe I am sold on LEDs from hereon out. The light is bright and well defined. The light angles out to the side so there is no need for fog lights.

If someone gets in my way, I flash the high beams and they jump back in their original lane, most of the time. When you flash the high beams it looks like a camera flash going off.

I like the fact that the lights are always on, unless you are parked and turn them off. The DRLs look really cool during the day time.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right, the lights are great. I went back and drove a 428i Gran Coupe, a Subaru Outback, a 2.2 and 3.5 TLX and ended up with a 3.5 Advance AWS model in white. Did not love any of the colors, thought the white looked best with the fog lights. Really noticed the power difference between the 2.4 and the 3.5.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
80 Posts
Another factor to consider is that contrary to any incandescent light, LED do not reduce their output with time as there is no filament to heat which occurs to some degree with incandescent light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I love the LED headlights on my TLX. In fact I commented to the salesman about that review and that I didn't understand the reviewer's comments.

You can't compare LED replacement headlight bulbs to LED lights from the factory. Replacement LED bulbs have to put the light out in the correct position so the light will project correctly (rarely ideal), get the heat out (limits LED power and ultimately output light), and have physical limitations. While headlights designed for LEDs from the factory have specifically designed heatsinks and optics to match the LEDs, will project the light better, AND have higher output light levels.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I love the quality of the headlight output.

I just hope they never go out as the MSRP for each is $1,285.50...but I have found them as low as $925.56!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.