Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
My 2017 TLX 2.4 base battery died in 2 years and 4 months or so. Shortest life battery I've ever had. I bought an Interstate Megatron MTP sized for the v6 before I traded it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, living in hot Arizona, batteries die in 2 years or less. There is a huge power drain with all the electronics and safety systems on these cars and it's no wonder batteries have a short life. Fortunately for me, I haven't been left high-and-dry. I've seen some tell tale warning signs that clue me in that the battery is about to go, here are a couple of them:
1) driver's seat memory starts to act up and not adjust consistently
2) walk-away automatic door lock also doesn't work consistently

Hope these clues are helpful to others to be cognizant of!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah I had to do the battery around 35k miles. I read somewhere that the battery is covered under warranty but I just got an interstate from costco.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Yeah I had to do the battery around 35k miles. I read somewhere that the battery is covered under warranty but I just got an interstate from costco.
Battery is covered under the new car warranty, 4 yrs/48,000 miles.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Wonder if a small digital voltmeter dislay in the cabin would help give an early warning.. and why the heck doesn't the TLX's system post up an warning like my wife's 2011 MDX deoes when the battery is getting weak.. so odd!

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Wonder if a small digital voltmeter dislay in the cabin would help give an early warning.. and why the heck doesn't the TLX's system post up an warning like my wife's 2011 MDX deoes when the battery is getting weak.. so odd!
What type of warning indicator does it use Gonzo?

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Its built into the system from Acura... about every 2-3 as message pops up "Replace battery". Its right about when I can start to hear the car starting a bit slower than normally. A bit prematuraetly but none the less the warning to replace the battery is fairly accurate. I don't recall every hearing about this on this forum.. why the TLX doesn't is beyond me.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Its built into the system from Acura... about every 2-3 as message pops up "Replace battery". Its right about when I can start to hear the car starting a bit slower than normally. A bit prematuraetly but none the less the warning to replace the battery is fairly accurate. I don't recall every hearing about this on this forum.. why the TLX doesn't is beyond me.
You would think that would be a standard feature by now, like the low tire pressure warning!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I know right... I kind of feel like it is butttttt this battery when it fails might not detectible - I don't know but it absouletly it should!

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
When I get some free time when I'm bored, I'll comb through the entire owner's manual and the section for all the system warnings to see if there is something that we're missing.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Page 466 in the owners manual talk about there being a sensor on the negative terminal of the battery to monitor battery condition. It says if there’s an issue with the sensor, it will show as a warning in the display. There is also supposed to be a warning for the system not charging.

I’m not sure what the sensor monitors, but I think many members of the forum have had battery issues without there being any sort of warning. Me included....

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Page 466 in the owners manual talk about there being a sensor on the negative terminal of the battery to monitor battery condition. It says if there’s an issue with the sensor, it will show as a warning in the display. There is also supposed to be a warning for the system not charging.

I’m not sure what the sensor monitors, but I think many members of the forum have had battery issues without there being any sort of warning. Me included....
Thanks for looking Andre! I've never gotten any kind of warning with either my 2015 or 2018 TLX when the battery started to fail. As I've mentioned in other posts, the warning signs for me have consistently been: 1) driver seat memory not working, and 2) failure of the car to auto-lock (2018 model) when I walk away from it.

·
Premium Member
4,859 Posts
Yikes! So you're saying the car would die while sitting at a traffic light for example? That's unsettling!
Yes. It happened a few times. I think there’s a post here somewhere about it. The idle stop would work as it should and then car wouldn’t restart. I’d have to cycle the start/stop button a few times before it would restart. The dealer replaced the battery and it never happened again.

EDIT: Here’s a link to the post where I talked about the issue I was having and the battery replacement.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
Yes. It happened a few times. I think there’s a post here somewhere about it. The idle stop would work as it should and then car wouldn’t restart. I’d have to cycle the start/stop button a few times before it would restart. The dealer replaced the battery and it never happened again.

EDIT: Here’s a link to the post where I talked about the issue I was having and the battery replacement.

I've got the 4 cylinder model which doesn't have the idle-stop feature. I've rented a few cars with it and hate it. Always feels like the car is about to stall when i want to start moving again. Glad the 4 cylinder model doesn't have it. If I ever own a car that has it (seems like a lot of vehicles are moving toward this being a fairly standard feature) I would want the option to set it to be disabled indefinitely rather than having to disable it every time you turn the car on.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I think that sensor monitors temp (some has mentioned altering it so the auto idle stop would not engage - AIS needs proper temp range on the battery). You mentioned it display an error when not charging but I don't know of anyone that had a battery issue with / without AIS issues ever getting a single error thrown.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts