Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 TLX. 3 times in the span of a week turned the car off and returned a short time later and car would not start. All 3 times had to jump start to start. Mechanic checked battery and it rated at 440 CCA tested at 395 CCA. Mechanic performed different tests to determine if systems were drawing on battery and none found. Then went to dealer who checked for a day and found no issues. Dealer denies any issue with hands free blue tooth draining battery.

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
Elaborate a bit more on won't start. Did it crank normally or slowly when it didn't start?

Auto Idle Stop. Do you use this feature all of the time, some of the time or none of the time?

What has the weather been in your location for the last week or two?

·
Registered
473 Posts
I’ve seen a few posts like this on here. I believe all have turned out to be the battery. Batteries are relatively cheap and yours is probably about 4 years old. To top it off they are fairly weak batteries for their group size. For example the Optima group 35 red top has a 720CCA rating.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Elaborate a bit more on won't start. Did it crank normally or slowly when it didn't start? -- No crank

Auto Idle Stop. Do you use this feature all of the time, some of the time or none of the time? -- None of the time

What has the weather been in your location for the last week or two?
-- Typical summer weather

·
Super Moderator
671 Posts
I think it is time for a new battery.

I also drive a 2015 TLX and anticipate coming out and finding my car won't start either. I think I'm pretty much on borrowed time especially since my TLX was a very early one with an assembly date in 2014. This makes the battery going into its fifth year, which in my book it about the end of its life. Will be checking into the Optima batteries very shortly.

·
Super Moderator
651 Posts
I think it is time for a new battery.

I also drive a 2015 TLX and anticipate coming out and finding my car won't start either. I think I'm pretty much on borrowed time especially since my TLX was a very early one with an assembly date in 2014. This makes the battery going into its fifth year, which in my book it about the end of its life. Will be checking into the Optima batteries very shortly.
I would love to get 4 years out of a battery. Arizona heat is just murder on batteries. My 2015 TLX battery lasted only 18 months and when I asked the dealer about how typical that was he said 18 months was actually on the high side for what he's seen!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
2015 TLX. 3 times in the span of a week turned the car off and returned a short time later and car would not start. All 3 times had to jump start to start. Mechanic checked battery and it rated at 440 CCA tested at 395 CCA. Mechanic performed different tests to determine if systems were drawing on battery and none found. Then went to dealer who checked for a day and found no issues. Dealer denies any issue with hands free blue tooth draining battery.
UPDATE: It happened for a fourth time. Car was towed to dealer. Dealer diagnosed it as a defective cell in the battery.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Anyone owning any make or model of car needs to learn to anticipate battery aging. Back in the day, you could tell a battery was getting bad by slow cranking. Not anymore. I was running errands. Grocery store, good start. Cleaners, good start. Bank, good start. Post Office, deader than dead. Got a jump, bought battery, all better now. Two and 1/2 years, time to replace. Period. Don't get warm and fuzzy b/c your battery has a 3-yr warranty. Doesn't mean it'll start for 3 years -- only means you'll get a pro-rated discount when you replace it.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Unless they changed again after ~2012 Optima red and yellows are not what they used to be.

If you're getting a regular type of battery buy an Interstate Megatron (MTP ?)

For AGM I was going to suggest DieHard Platinums made by Odyssey but it looks like those are discontinued.

I don't know what's good in the AGM department anymore but I know the interstates are still excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
XS Power if going AGM, which I highly recommend you do. When they are able to shield lithium from engine heat properly that will be the battery to use.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7 Posts
I got similar problem with my 2017, 2.4 @ about 32k miles it failed to start. I jumped it and it was fine for a few months, then it happened again. I took battery to orally store to test it, and it had no juce at all. So they put it on charger, and in 5 minutes it got to full charge. I put a new battery in and problem solved. I think some acura oem batteries do have cell problem

·
Registered
48 Posts
I picked up a CPO 2015 this past December, and within the first month the car died every few days. I even replaced the batter and that didn't help. It's been at the dealer for almost a week and they're saying it may be the XM module that is staying powered on which is draining the battery. Apparently this is a known issue with the XM module and the handsfree link module as well.

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I think you were lucky to have gone this long without a battery change.

I had 3 TSXs and now 3 TLXs.

Every TSX and Honda I had before went out a day after or before the warranty ran out at 3 years.

My 2015 TLX lasted fine since I turned it in for a 2016 TLX a year later.

The TLX 2016 battery failed after two years.

Now after two years I carry a battery backup. Too bad cars don't have a backup battery built in.

Summest.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Suggest carrying a Li-Ion jump start bateery in the car, like 'Arteck Car Jump Starter Auto Battery Charger and 8000mAh External Battery Charger Car Jumper for 12V Automotive, Motorcycle, Tractor, Boat, Phone with Clamps, LED Flashlight, 300A Peak 2.5L Gas Max' on Amazon

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
This happened to me two weeks ago. I had the batter tested and it checked out fine. But I still had the issue. I took a risk and got a new battery. All is good now!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
I just had my car in for service and battery tested OK.... I have been having issues since day one with one in every 30ish auto idle off restart the car starts but just barely. Today for the first time the car barely started from a normal shutdown. If the battery just tested OK then what they heck.... Not sure what to do at this point.

For what its worth, the tech rep told me they might be coming out with a SB for the auto idle engine restart issue I have... he mentioned that if the battery is anything less than 98% or so starting can be an issue... keeping my fingers crossed for some sort of resolve, esp. now that is effecting my normal engine start.

·
Registered
473 Posts
My 2015 I4 Tech still has the original battery.
I bought the car in December 2014 and am trying to see how long it will go.
Today I received a batteryless/ultracapacitor jump starter in the mail...just in case it decides to try and leave me stranded one day.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2015 TLX has been doing this for the last year. Last summer, decided to go ahead and replace battery even though it was a full charge. However, it’s doing this to me again. My new and old battery check out fine. The strange part, is that my car only does this when I’ve been driving for sometime and the car is extremely hot - examples stopping to get gas or running inside a store after driving 1-2 hours. If I turn off and then back on immediately it won’t start. The dealer can’t find anything wrong; however, immediately after it did this once, I took to Autozone and diagnostic came back as “intermittent starter issues.” I wonder if it has a relay or solenoid problem?? I will Never buying another Acura. The dealer already had to replace the transmission for the jerking issues.

·
Registered
186 Posts
My 2017 TLX 2.4 base battery died in 2 years and 4 months or so. Shortest life battery I've ever had. I bought an Interstate Megatron MTP sized for the v6 before I traded it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 38 Posts