Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am new to the forum I just recently purchased a 2015 TLX V6 all-wheel-drive from Acura certified program in Canada Took delivery of the vehicle mid October all went well with the transaction..... after a week or two the weather got colder I noticed that I wasn’t getting heat and my gauge On the instrument cluster after 30 minutes of driving was only 1/4 to the halfway mark And fluctuating Up and down as I drove..... Brought the car back to the dealer they had my car for about 2 1/2 hours and the result was not enough coolant in the engine? So they filled it up and send me on my way. After that when I got home I looked at the Acura certified technician report that had a list of all the things done to my vehicle before I took ownership oil change new front back rotors and pads They also did a coolant flush Fill and pressure test As my car has just hit the hundred thousand kilometer mark An interior detail and reconditioning.After receiving the car back from the service the heat felt warmer and the temperature gage stopped fluctuating but never dId fully reach The halfway mark on the temperature gage was always 1/4 or just a little more..... on December 24 Christmas Eve I worked a half day at my job said merry Christmas to all jumped in my new car and proceeded to go home the highway is right next to my work... I enter the highway ramp went down the hill the car Came to speed at 120kmh Coast for about five minutes To about the next exit came to a stop at the stop light at the next exit waited there for about five minutes the light changed I made a right onto the regular road started heading up the roadAbout 5 km stopping and going at lights got too The third stop light and started to smell A burning smell started to focus in more only to realize that my hood was smoking I wasn’t sure at first if it was just the snow melting from the engine heat or if the car was actually smoking just as I blinked everything in the car on the instrument panel went upside down the car jolted Like when a roller coaster comes to a stop I looked at the dash and the first thing that flashed was transmission problem/stability control problem/ABS problem all these warning Were flashing all at the same time now I realize I was in a car that was smoking so I jumped out quick called Acura roadside assistance they said they were sending a tow truck…… I want to stop here and say that before I got this car I had a 2003 Pontiac Sunfire that never left me stranded on the road… After I hung up with roadside assistance I was in shock I couldn’t believe that this Acura certified TLX with 100,000 km has broken down on the road and left me stranded with onlookers laughing and giving me the finger for blocking the road One guy drove by and said buddy you’re leaking oil all over the place I looked behind the car and there is a streak of black oil about 300 m in length. Caa Guy shows up with the flatbed tow truck asked me to put the car in neutral at this point the car is in park with no power so I ask him because I just knew with this car I don’t know how to put this car in neutral neither does he and I call Acura service department they told me There’s no way to put the car in neutral when the battery is dead you have to open up the hood and do something to the engine block????????Wtf so how do I tow the Car? He tells me there’s a tow hook on the front bumper I have to wedge it and pull it up on the truck I told him my car is all wheel drive and it’s in Park... he said that’s all you can do. Finally get the car on the tow truck and head over to the dealership reminding you it’s Christmas Eve at about three in the afternoon arrive at the dealership let them know the situation and if they can help the tow truck driver get the car off the truck the first service attendant looks at me and says he’s done for the day I have to wait for someone else goodbye? The salesman who sold me the car seen me and asked me what happen with a great big smile on his face I said I don’t know man there’s oil leaking from the car and the engine is smoking white and now it won’t turn on he said don’t worry I’ll take care of you and will get this sorted out?After about 45 minutes on mechanic came out to assist to get the car off the tow truck he asked me what’s the problem I said it leaked oil and the engine was smoking and now there’s no power he ran into the back of the shop and came out with a 5 galloAfter about 45 minutes on mechanic came out to assist to get the car off the tow truck he asked me what’s the problem I said it leaked oil and the engine was smoking and now there’s no power he ran into the back of the shop and came out with a 5 Liter jug of oil open the hood on top of the flatbed and poured the engine oil in the engine...... as he’s doing that I’m standing on the ground looking at the car and he’s pouring it in and it’s coming right out the bottom Like water comes out of a garden hose to make a long story short my car is been in the shop since December 24 till today January 14 when I ask what’s wrong with the car they told me an engine malfunction and they’re waiting on Honda to approve the warranty claim but won’t be specific about what happened I have a power train warranty AsThe car is coveredTill 130,000 km.... they gave me a loaner car and I’ve had that since has anybody been through any big warranty cLaims Like this and is there a special process that they go through this seems a little long any help would be appreciated

·
Super Moderator
731 Posts
Here is my take: The original coolant flush was done by an idiot who didn’t cycle the cooling system or in essence bleed the system. This left an air pocket in the engine which kept the heater from operating fully and kept the temp gauge lower than normal as air cannot transfer heat like coolant can. After a period of time driving in this mode, you likely blew a head gasket, which accounts for the oil leak and engine malfunction. Were you the cause of any of these problems? I would say no. I would say the dealership tech caused all these problems. Why is it taking so long to get the vehicle repaired? Likely, because Acura factory is not wanting to pay for the repairs of the engine when it wasn’t a manufacturers defect. The factory likely knows that the dealership messed up and the dealership is the one who should be paying for the repairs. Consequently, your car doesn’t get repaired until someone steps up and takes responsibility to repair your vehicle. Dealerships ALWAYS want the factory to pay for everything including their own mistakes!! It will likely take the Acura factory representative to come in and inspect the vehicle and decide what to do. This could take some time.

Here is my advice. They gave you a loaner. Drive the loaner, don’t worry about your car. Let them have it as long as they want. Don’t even call to check on your car. They will call you when it is ready. And no, this is NOT typical of Acura vehicles, but this is typical of an idiot technicians. Keep in mind that there is a massive shortage of technicians out there and shops are hiring kids out of tech school who have not been trained very good. It’s all there is. Techs are in high demand right now, I’ve seen $5000 and more signing bonus for a good tech. Makes me think hard about turning wrenches again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for your reply and your help was greatly appreciated I think I will leave them alone and keep the loaner for now and do what you say thanks for the help buddy

·
Super Moderator
872 Posts
Any updates?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today I am happy to say I got my car back I love Acura especially Markham Acura in Canada my car was used I blew the engine the rocker arm went through the engine block they had my car for a month and a half gave me a 2020 MDX as a loaner with unlimited kilometers put a New engine in with half the kilometers of my used car I went from 107,000 km to an engine that only had 62,000 km I got the car back today and it feels even faster than before thank God for Acura certified warranty as they have takeN good care of me Pour out a drink for Acura all I’ve been reading is horror stories about Denied warranties not at Markham Acura they make the case For you and get approved like a good lawyer Ha ha ha happy owner right now thanks guys

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
So in the end they put the fix through warranty which is obviously good news. I would have thought the Acura warranty would have replaced the engine with a new one but I’m not up to speed on how they deal with used cars. In the end, as long as you’re happy is all that matters. It’s good info for anyone wanting to buy used and what to expect from the certified warranty. Maybe something to clarify when talking about replacement parts before signing the deal.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts