Acura TLX Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So the snowstorm for this past weekend wound up being snow followed by sleet and later rain which partially froze. In NH-Rt 16 (2 lanes and later 1 lane highway in each direction with 55 mph limit) in the White Mountains, surface was either wet pavement or thin layer of ice (black and gray) and/or frozen slush in parts of the lane.

My TLX (Advance, SH-AWD) has 19" rims with all-seasons. On a side note, a few days back, I increased the air pressure to 34 psi (cold) as I found that really improved the handling of the car on dry pavement with hardly any change in ride quality (bumps, tire noise). The car was delivered by dealer Dec 19th initially with 31-32 psi during significantly warmer weather (50-60 degrees), and the front tires both dropped to 29-30 psi in the 10-15 degree temperatures about 10 days later and handling got sluggish -- I filled them up to 34 psi since the temperatures will be going well below zero later this week as winter finally arrives. Besides, I always ran my 2002 Civic with upsized rims 2 psi higher than the rating and found an equal improvement in handling, especially in cloverleafs.

The TLX handled this storm pretty easily -- you could feel the AWD working as it hit the frozen slush, especially if only one side of the car was in the slush, and the car basically drove where you pointed the steering wheel without me having to make any corrections. The frozen slush/ice between the tire tracks on the road did sometimes confuse the lane departure warning, with it emitting beeps and displays and nudging the steering wheel even when the vehicle was still within its lane. I also got real departure warnings anytime I intentionally drove over the white line to avoid large patches of ice, but that didn't bother me too much. I didn't dare try lane keep or adaptive cruise control in these conditions.

Stopping at a burger joint, the parking lot had 6" of unplowed snow and the car maneuvered fine, with a tiny bit of loss of traction in sharper turns. The SH-AWD display was neat to look at as you could see (and feel) the car vectoring the torque to the appropriate wheels -- this is the only time since I've owned the car that I've ever seen this display not have left-right symmetry with regard to the wheel torque. There were too many cars in the parking lot to try any aggressive maneuvers to test limits of the car.

The parking lot at the ski slope was frozen ice with a thin layer of wind-blown snow on it, and the car put out equal torque to all 4 wheels -- never felt any loss of control or precision. The forward and rear parking collision warning systems got really confused by the snow covered parking spot and emitted false warnings -- it probably couldn't figure out the difference between the snow covered parking spot and the snowbank which was 5 feet away. The rear view camera was coated with salt/snow most of the drive so I had to resort to backing up the old-fashioned way :)

The V6 power was fantastic for passing cars even uphill in the limited passing zones you get in the mountains (highway was one lane each direction). The blind spot alarm and forward collision warning seemed a bit too sensitive for this type of mountain highway passing, but are easily ignored.

So far, I'm happy with the snow performance. Waiting for a real snowstorm to truly test out the SH-AWD, especially on the steeper 10-12% grades on the snow-covered ski slope entrances. Might go with some higher rated all-seasons on my next batch of replacement tires a few years down the line for even better snow performance.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
So the snowstorm for this past weekend wound up being snow followed by sleet and later rain which partially froze.
Incredible review. Living in South Florida, I almost wish for snow.

:)

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Incredible review. Living in South Florida, I almost wish for snow.

As an avid skier and snowboard, you can bet I'm wishing for a big 18-24" snow dump!

Kind of reminds me of the pickup truck with attached plow ads they run here late in the Fall in which they show a single snowflake falling, and then three rabid pickup plow drivers racing for it exclaiming "Get it!". I kind of feel that way with my TLX now :)

Got a dusting of snow today (Mother Nature's car wash to clean salt off my car), with forecasts calling for another snowstorm on Friday. Will add to my post if this materializes.

Oh, and two other things I forgot to put in my prior post.

Driving back from New Hampshire, weather in the mountains was clear but extremely windy with gusts reaching 50 mph. Lane keep struggled to maintain the lane during these gusts, veering out of lane several times during the strongest gusts until I finally turned lane keep off. So I guess my TLX still needs me :)

Fuel consumption two weekends ago (rain and clear pavement) in the mountains was 32 mpg in Sport mode (Normal not good for my mountain driving power needs). In the snow/slush/wet pavement and very windy, I got 30 mpg this weekend again in Sport mode driving the same exact route, although I drove about 10 mph faster on this return trip since my car was fully broken in by now. [V6 AWD]

·
Registered
666 Posts
I expect that winter tires would help keep the car in the lane with wind gusts. Depending on the amount of mileage you put on the AS tires they will not perform as well in a year or two. One consideration is to get some winter tires next winter, and dedicated summer tires after that. It will cost a bit up front with the extra wheels, but cost of tires over 4 or 5 years is about the same Something to consider as you will then have the best boots for all seasons.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I personally feel like there's a pretty big myth regarding AWD systems vs the need for winter tires. That is, I often hear people say something like, "Well I have 4WD/AWD, so I don't need winter tires". It's really great to know that the AWD system in the TLX performed well in this scenario, but my simple point is this: there's no replacement for mechanical grip. AWD may help you get up that hill, or get you out of that rut, but it will do little when you're trying to brake or corner on a slippery surface, and certainly not as much as what a good set of winter tires will do. Anyway, just my 2 cents....

·
Registered
222 Posts
wind won't be much of a concern in winter, i've done it on all seasons that were horrible for breaking in winter and i was fine with harsh winds while driving straight.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
As an avid skier and snowboard, you can bet I'm wishing for a big 18-24" snow dump!
If you can, can you take a picture of your car with snow on it? :)

I love the beauty of snow. It is neat to see snow on a new TLX.

·
Registered
666 Posts
wind won't be much of a concern in winter, i've done it on all seasons that were horrible for breaking in winter and i was fine with harsh winds while driving straight.
I drove for many years on AS tires, mostly with FWD, and survived except for one occasion turning into a car wash stall. Also had a friend who was proud to be able to successfully drive an old NA RWD slush bucket with worn tires in winter.

That being said, have a look at the many road tests of AWD or RWD cars with AS vs winter tires. The stopping distance and control is significant, and winter tires really help when you need it. This may be only be for a small number of occasion, but if I had a choice I would prefer a car with winter tires rather than one with air bags.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've enjoyed driving my TLX every day I've been in it and missed it every time I wasn't. We just got a measly 2" on snow in the DC area which apparently crippled everyone's commute, so I didn't dare try taking it out with all the horrible drivers around here (maybe I'm more afraid since I'm still babying the car - oh the salt!). I'm waiting for the chance to take it out in some big snow... really looking forward to it now after reading this post.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
42 Posts
I've got snows on mine. it was awesome in a snowstorm last week with 10 plus inches of snow on unplowed roads.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Great review of your TLX.

If you're up for it, some long-term review of it as you rack on many more miles would be great to hear. Something i notice auto publications do, would be great to hear it from an owner.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I expect that winter tires would help keep the car in the lane with wind gusts. Depending on the amount of mileage you put on the AS tires they will not perform as well in a year or two. One consideration is to get some winter tires next winter, and dedicated summer tires after that. It will cost a bit up front with the extra wheels, but cost of tires over 4 or 5 years is about the same Something to consider as you will then have the best boots for all seasons.
Just to be clear, the return trip from NH the day after the storm was on mostly dry roads -- NH is pretty good about snow removal and painting the roads white with salt after a storm. With manual driving, I had no trouble staying in the lane -- it was the automatic lane keeper feature that was reacting late to the strong wind gusts.

I actually have a second set of rims (the 18" rims that came with the Advance for sale on another thread). For me, living in the Boston area, the biggest issue is finding a place to store the second set of rims/tires (safely and free from weather exposure, theft). I don't have any space in my condo for it, and renting a storage unit is at least $100/mo. let alone the trouble of having to swap out rims twice a year.

Coming off a FWD civic with all-seasons which I drove for 13 years to the ski slopes, I was generally fine on the highway with it. The real trouble was getting up some steeper hills in snowstorms, or even worse, the "walk of shame" when you have to park your car at the bottom of the ski resort and carry your equipment up to the base area of the ski resort because your car couldn't make it up the hill at the entrance
:(

Since I'll be making this drive every week for the next 13 weeks, will be happy to keep posting my observations as I pile the miles onto my car.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

I wanted to take a picture this past weekend, but the sky was really dark and with all the pine trees (and a dark colored car), it wasn't coming out very well on my cell camera. Planned on taking a picture of my TLX in front of Mt. Washington but there was a huge fog layer from 2000 feet up masking the view so will try again for the next two weekends. Stay tuned!

But yes, the gray luster has a really nice contrast to the snow, especially as the headlights light up

Want to know why skier's don't get their cars in white? [Hint: Acura... launch kit in white won't sell here].... if you can't see it in the snow, neither can the plows. I've actually seen that end badly for one poor driver

·
Registered
666 Posts
I don't have any space in my condo for it, and renting a storage unit is at least $100/mo. let alone the trouble of having to swap out rims twice a year.
Your dealer or most tire outlets should offer storage of wheels/rims for under well under $100 per season. At least that is the case in Toronto. Consider it the cost of safe driving.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I wanted to take a picture this past weekend, but the sky was really dark and with all the pine trees (and a dark colored car), it wasn't coming out very well on my cell camera. Planned on taking a picture of my TLX in front of Mt. Washington but there was a huge fog layer from 2000 feet up masking the view so will try again for the next two weekends. Stay tuned!

But yes, the gray luster has a really nice contrast to the snow, especially as the headlights light up

Want to know why skier's don't get their cars in white? [Hint: Acura... launch kit in white won't sell here].... if you can't see it in the snow, neither can the plows. I've actually seen that end badly for one poor driver
I can imagine it can be difficult to have a sunny day full of snow. :)

I agree. That is a nice color contrast. I was surprised when I got to this forum that a lot of Canadians and Northern US'ers prefer either white or black. I would think you could lose a white car very easily in the snow. Maybe they are not skiers?

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the suggestion on tire storage -- I didn't know that option was as cheap as you say. Will look into it.

Had a dusting of snow today, but it was slick out. Noticed my TLX slide just a bit in the parking lot at work this morning on an aggressive turn -- maybe I really should look into winter tires as you all suggest, especially if I can get storage that cheap.

As for white TLX's in the Northeast, I'd venture to guess those folks probably live in areas with less snowfall, and/or park their vehicles in their home's garage and work garages far away from plows. It might be interesting to see how many of the folks with white TLX's got them with SH-AWD, which would really tell you how much winter driving they do.

·
Registered
80 Posts
IMO the main issue with cars left on the side of the road during a snow storm is that they can get completely covered with snow and invisible to snow plow; so no matter what your car color is its becomes vulnerable. If the car is not totally covered with snow the taillights should be visible to a plow operator (presuming the car is parked on the right side of the road). Although we have 10 ft of snow during our winter I see a fair number of white car.

As far as handling is concerned the SH-AWD is second to none. We just had a 2 weeks cold snap (between -20 to -35 C) which renders the road very slippery because de-icing salt will not work at these temperature. The car handles extremely well no matter how hard you push it. My driveway to enter my garage has a 20+ degree slope and when I get home I stop at the bottom of the driveway to open up the garage door and slowly go up the hill without any issue. By the way I have Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

So this past Monday, an Alberta clipper (a New England weather pattern) dropped a dusting of 1-2" of snow at the ski slopes (temperatures of 12 degF with relative humidity 80% according to gauges at the ski lifts).

Here's my TLX wearing her winter coat[ing] across the street from Attitash ski resort. I think the snow highlights the lines of the car
;)

Yes, that's what the parking lot looks like *after* plowing

Attachments

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
So this past Monday, an Alberta clipper (a New England weather pattern) dropped a dusting of 1-2" of snow at the ski slopes (temperatures of 12 degF with relative humidity 80% according to gauges at the ski lifts).

Here's my TLX wearing her winter coat[ing] across the street from Attitash ski resort. I think the snow highlights the lines of the car
;)

Yes, that's what the parking lot looks like *after* plowing
Thanks for the lovely photos of a snow-covered TLX.

I am always fascinated how snow can find the smallest ledge to rest on and how evenly it distributes itself. I miss snow.

Thanks again for sharing. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.