Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There has been good information in both "Tire" threads but I would like to hear something more specific on what your experience has been with various tire offerings. I expect to take delivery in the next two weeks of my TLX and I am looking at changing out the Bridgestone's.

Give me some options to consider and be specific. I am especially interested to hear what your experience has been with Yokohamas, Pirelli or Dunlops.

Thanks - Mac

·
Registered
134 Posts
I separate my tires from summer and winter so I can't speak to all season tires but here's my experience:

Michelin PS2 Super Sport (my favs)
-Great traction wet or dry but they feel like hockey pucks in cold weather
-Very good endurance (80K with just second set on current car) but they are not cheap
-mid-grade for noise but very tolerable

Perelli P Nero
-Good traction, took all the wheel spin out of my Accord V6 6MT
-Wear faster than the Michelins
-Overall good tires

Dunlop Sport Max
-Good traction but a step down from the Perelli's
-Wear even faster than the Perelli's (went through them in 25K)
-better than average but not great tires

I had a bad experience with Eagles wearing out very fast and will not go back to those

Reactions: andre12dbsi

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
Just a personal preference

There has been good information in both "Tire" threads but I would like to hear something more specific on what your experience has been with various tire offerings. I expect to take delivery in the next two weeks of my TLX and I am looking at changing out the Bridgestone's.

Give me some options to consider and be specific. I am especially interested to hear what your experience has been with Yokohamas, Pirelli or Dunlops.

Thanks - Mac
In the past when we got the initial Michelins, I would let them wear out and get Yokohamas. The Yokohamas are a soft tire with good grip. I drive in South Florida so all I see is Sun and Rain. Our winter is normally 3 to 5 days long. This is just a personal opinion with no basis in facts.

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
I separate my tires from summer and winter so I can't speak to all season tires but here's my experience:

Michelin PS2 Super Sport (my favs)
-Great traction wet or dry but they feel like hockey pucks in cold weather
-Very good endurance (80K with just second set on current car) but they are not cheap
-mid-grade for noise but very tolerable
I second that. Actually, the launch kit edition comes with those exact tires (here in Canada, I would hope in the USA as well). I would definitely ask your dealer if you can get that kit.

Since you get to keep the original 18" rims and tires, you can just sell it and make the $$. I find its more worth it then just spending money on tires, might as well benefit from nice 19" rims IMO....

if you zoom in, you can see them in this picture.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In the past when we got the initial Michelins, I would let them wear out and get Yokohamas. The Yokohamas are a soft tire with good grip. I drive in South Florida so all I see is Sun and Rain. Our winter is normally 3 to 5 days long. This is just a personal opinion with no basis in facts.
I am in South Florida also and while I love my Michelin Pilots on my TL, the Yokohama's look very inviting. I am going to make a call shortly! Which Yoko's are you using?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I second that. Actually, the launch kit edition comes with those exact tires (here in Canada, I would hope in the USA as well). I would definitely ask your dealer if you can get that kit.

Since you get to keep the original 18" rims and tires, you can just sell it and make the $$. I find its more worth it then just spending money on tires, might as well benefit from nice 19" rims IMO....

if you zoom in, you can see them in this picture.
i would sell them in a heart beat and get some nice aftermarket wheels.

·
Registered
134 Posts
If you haven't seen them in person, I would suggest a good look first. IMO they look much better in person.

·
Premium Member
4,939 Posts
I really like those wheels. I think they could use the black Acura center caps to add a bit of contrast but I do think they look good. I'd keep them I think.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

·
Retired Moderator
2019 TLX
2,315 Posts
I am in South Florida also and while I love my Michelin Pilots on my TL, the Yokohama's look very inviting. I am going to make a call shortly! Which Yoko's are you using?
On my current TSX:

AS530

225 50R17 94V

·
Premium Member
278 Posts
If you haven't seen them in person, I would suggest a good look first. IMO they look much better in person.
Yes, I thought the same. In person they look VERY nice, especially with a dark tint. The pictures on the internet don't do it justice.

·
Registered
134 Posts

Thanks - Mac
One further point about the Michelins PS2 Super Sport, I recall a Road & Track issue back in May of 2010 where they time-raced the Acura TL-SHAWD, an Audi S4, a BMW 335i Sport (RWD) and an infiniti G37S (RWD) on a track. The Audi S4 won but to everyone's surprise the Acura came in 2nd and they reluctantly credited the SW-AWD but had to throw in that the tires must have made the difference (how else could it possibly beat the other two ;) ).;)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts