Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all.

My 2016 TLX has 104,000 miles and runs like new. Everytime I take car in for any scheduled service, the advisors are always cautioning me that I should replace the timing belt after 100k miles. Normally, I'd probably do it. Problem is it's $1,200+. I understand the importance of the part but that's a steep price if there's little to no risk of it going out.
My question is...is it common for TLX timing belts to fail?
Thanks.

· Registered
2020 Acura TLX
1 Posts
I'm curious about the failure rate too. I was told that only the v6 has a belt and that the 4 cylinder has a chain. I'm not 100% certain of this but if it is accurate then the chain is a monitor and replace if necessary where the belt is a mileage thing.

· Registered
176 Posts
I'm curious about the failure rate too. I was told that only the v6 has a belt and that the 4 cylinder has a chain. I'm not 100% certain of this but if it is accurate then the chain is a monitor and replace if necessary where the belt is a mileage thing.
You are correct, 4-cyl engines has timing chains and V6 has belt.

· Registered
176 Posts
Hi all.

My 2016 TLX has 104,000 miles and runs like new. Everytime I take car in for any scheduled service, the advisors are always cautioning me that I should replace the timing belt after 100k miles. Normally, I'd probably do it. Problem is it's $1,200+. I understand the importance of the part but that's a steep price if there's little to no risk of it going out.
My question is...is it common for TLX timing belts to fail?
Thanks.
I would not suggest to ignore manufacturer recommendations, however I see no risk in extended the duration by a year or so. When I had TB replaced on my Honda Accord, the old TB looked healthy with no signs of wear. Make sure you get it inspected if not replaced.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts