Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My dealer told my there is a TLX with my name on it that will begin manufacture the week of September 27. He also says I will have the car delivered in 2 weeks or less. Does that sound realistic?

·
Registered
42 Posts
My dealer could not come up with any delivery dates. So from my perspective they are making up dates. Maybe your dealer is more in touch with the factory?

Anyways good luck with it and what model/color did you get?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Gray 3.5 with Tech. I have had mine for 4 weeks. Engine is finally broken in and once you get the revs up the car moves!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealers seem to be loaded with 4 cylinder cars but there's a shortage of the 6's with Advance. There isn't one to be had locally (my dealer says) in any color. So they found one being built this week at the factory and somehow got it assigned to them for me.

Does anyone know how long it takes to build and ship a new TLX once the build begins?

·
Premium Member
4,796 Posts
Manufacturers used to mention a break in period in the manuals but I haven't seen it in the past few years. As a general rule of thumb I've taken it easy on cars for the first 1000kms. Not sure why they don't have it in the manual anymore.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I appreciate and enjoy the discussion of colors, break in periods, etc. But I'd appreciate it even more if someone could answer my original question for this thread.

So, who knows how long it usually takes from the time a car starts through the assembly line to the time it can be delivered to a customer? Supposedly, my car was scheduled to begin assembly between 9/27 and 10/1.

For a variety of personal reasons, I must take delivery no later than October 10. If that's not possible, I may have to cancel my order. All advice is welcome.

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
I appreciate and enjoy the discussion of colors, break in periods, etc. But I'd appreciate it even more if someone could answer my original question for this thread.
I saw your original question but do not know the answer.

I had so many false starts. After a while my sales rep did not tell me the create date or ship date. In any case, don't be too much in a hurry or you most likely will be disappointed. I speak from experience.:)

·
Registered
42 Posts
I dealt with two dealers and neither could give me a date as to when "my" car would be built. I honestly think they do not build your car when you order.

I going to guess the factory builds in lots to be the most efficient. All the set-ups and break downs would kill production times. Paint one car white, then a black, then a blue. It would be a nightmare! Plus the user stories on this forum confirm this.

So if you really what a certain model and color combo you will have to be patient. If you are flexible you might get one in a few days.

Also engine break in period is 600 miles per the owners manual. 200 on the brakes.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Well, not that the car was actually ordered that date but I placed my deposit/order with the dealer July 10th and am told I will be receiving it (Elite AWD) next week. I do believe that it also depends on geography to a degree, logistics being what they are. I am west coast.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I going to guess the factory builds in lots to be the most efficient. All the set-ups and break downs would kill production times. Paint one car white, then a black, then a blue. It would be a nightmare! Plus the user stories on this forum confirm this.
I was told by one dealer that the main reason for AWD delayed availability was for them to find a way to build FWD and AWD models on the same assembly line and get max efficiency with volume.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
So if you really what a certain model and color combo you will have to be patient. If you are flexible you might get one in a few days.

So I told my dealer I'd take one in ANY color. He said there aren't any 3.5's with Advance at dealers anywhere in our region that he could get. He said they're just not building that many yet, so I have to wait for the one being built for me (supposedly that is happening this week---we'll see). They have plenty of the 2.5's in inventory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So here's the good news. My dealer was playing it straight with me. The car was actually built in Marysville this week, just as promised, and was shipped to my dealer today. I have an appointment to pick it up on monday, 10/6, four days earlier than my 10/10 deadline. Sometimes, things go right. I'll miss my 2009 E320 but am looking forward to my new TLX.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts