Acura TLX Forum banner

Thoughts on Cargo Net Please!

20K views 33 replies 18 participants last post by  MikeRadio 
#1 ·
Hello all: after a few months enjoying the SHAWD, things in my trunk have a definite habit of moving during motion changes. I still have the stock carpet-lined trunk.

I am considering the cargo net, to hold full time items towards the rear seat wall, and thus leaving room at the trunk's bumper end for storage.

Any advice & experience on:
1. Cargo net?
2. Trunk mat - may have higher friction, stopping things from sliding??
3. Any other solutions?

TY in advance!

#2 ·
Hello all: after a few months enjoying the SHAWD, things in my trunk have a definite habit of moving during motion changes. I still have the stock carpet-lined trunk.

I am considering the cargo net, to hold full time items towards the rear seat wall, and thus leaving room at the trunk's bumper end for storage.

Any advice & experience on:
1. Cargo net?
2. Trunk mat - may have higher friction, stopping things from sliding??
3. Any other solutions?
TY in advance!
I have the trunk mats. They tend to hold things together pretty decently. However, I did see at the Acura accessories store that they have grocery bag hooks that have predetermined locations under the rear shelf for installation. Each hook holds three bags. I'm thinking about going that route too. Check it out.

#3 ·
TY @MikeinEDH. I have one grocery hook installed, it holds bags VERY well - I recommend them.

However, it is mounted at the edge of the trunk deck - to far towards the bumper for what I need. I need something to contain some critical larger objects - notably my box of safety stuff and my portable golf locker :). And closer to the rear seat wall.

Reactions: MikeinEDH
#10 ·
I had the cargo net in my previous Civic, and it seems the TLX version is pretty similar. I did not find them all that useful -- it takes a bit of effort to setup for each use , and the net only stopped the motion of bags in one direction. e.g., in the rain, I'm not going to take the time to find the four loop ends of the net and wrap around the "buttons" mounted in the trunk

That said, so far, the depressed areas in the sides of the trunk of the AWD version seem to keep my milk and juice in place...
Did you know you can open the panel at the rear trunk floor to expose two deep cubby holes to hold items from sliding? Much better than those areas at the sides!
for my family, we just get a storage bin and hold my groceries: its the one with the screwdriver inside in this link
TY team. These cubby holes are at the wrong end of the trunk for my problem - I want to keep things packed Forward, so that the Rear end (bumper end) is free and clear for daily activities. I am already using a cheap plastic box so everything drifting around stays in the box. I just want to box to stop drifting. I may try attaching a piece of sandpaper (or 1 side of a Velcro strip?) to the box bottom for more friction.

Other ideas and photos welcome please.

#5 ·
I had the cargo net in my previous Civic, and it seems the TLX version is pretty similar. I did not find them all that useful -- it takes a bit of effort to setup for each use , and the net only stopped the motion of bags in one direction. e.g., in the rain, I'm not going to take the time to find the four loop ends of the net and wrap around the "buttons" mounted in the trunk

I thought about the accessory hooks mentioned, but the idea of drilling into the car seems a bit much for me. I was thinking about buying some $3 squeeze clamps from Home Depot to achieve the same goal.

That said, so far, the depressed areas in the sides of the trunk of the AWD version seem to keep my milk and juice in place...

#8 ·
the trunk mats dont really prevent things from sliding especially if you drive crazy with heavy brakes. nothing's going to prevent that

that being said, the major purpose of a trunk mat is to prevent dirt or snow or mud or soggy stuff from soaking into the fabric bottom and permanently stain it.

for my family, we just get a storage bin and hold my groceries: its the one with the screwdriver inside in this link

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/72201-post16.html

u can get those at any walmart

or if wanna go cheap, just get a cardboard box lol (like the one in the left of those photos, we store other junk there like tote bags etc)

#14 ·
Try these: Amazon.com: Stayhold SH002X2 Gray Cargo Companion - Twin Pack: Automotive

they are basically walls that stick with velcro to the trunk rug. I use one to hold back the stuff I leave in the trunk and have the other in the trunk if needed.

Had the cargo net on my 2000 TL and liked it. I even it saved when I traded for the TLX but no mounting spots, so would be a production to install one. I did get two cargo hooks which work quite well with grocery bags.

#18 ·
I had a cargo net with my TL and asked for one with the TLX but the dealer threw in the rubber trunk mats instead. My canvass shopping bags hold purchases together quite well and have not really found a need for cargo hooks.

The mats would make it difficult to get out the spare tire, especially if there was any luggage of bags in the trunk, so I have opted for no spare tire.>:D

#19 ·
Results: thanks to @sbillard, i ordered the StayHold and they work great. Put them into a high G parking lot turn and nothing moved. :)

I cut down the second holder on the table saw for better fit.

Note - these work great on the TLX carpet. But they didn't hold AT ALL on our 2010 Odyssey...

Attachments

Reactions: Lexie
#21 ·
#23 · (Edited)
Has anyone bought the divider that goes in the hidden compartment in the trunk? Is it just a divider or is it actually a bin that goes inside the compartment that forms this. The space looks significantly reduced from the original space.
I bought the OEM dividers, and love them. Yes, I used the plural form of the word, because two dividers come in the package. If you look closely at the little compartment in your trunk, you'll see two slots at the front and rear. Those slots are what the plastic dividers slip into. They are simply dividers, not a full insert. (You can also see the slots in that "Cars-life" link in the OP.)

They're very easy to install and remove on the fly, so you don't have to worry about those times when you need the larger compartment.

#26 ·
I use the bin all the time as well but I'm sure the lack of a spare tire will bite me at some point.

Back to the cargo net discussion, will it interfere with the cargo area I wonder? As I said previously, I had one in my last Honda and it was useful but it kind of got in the way to access the rest of the trunk.

#33 ·
I use the fold down seat knobs and attach a cargo net to it. You can use one from another manufacture. Hook on the two top part of the cargo net. It swings forward and back like a hammock but it is great for storing light weight items while keeping the floor of the trunk clear of items. Will take pic and post when I get a chance.

#34 ·
I use the cubby hold for the UNSIGHTLY stuff that used to stay in my trunk... taking up all this room.. Like emergency air compressor, car cleaners, rags that type of thing. I am so glad about the cubby as now I have a full trunk without an awful bin in it.

I have the trunk tray. Unlike the TL trunk tray it actually has areas to put things in, and is much nicer and more well built.. Good to have to keep things clean.

I also have the grocery bag hooks.. I had them with my TL also and they are great... You hang your bags from them and the food or whatever doesn't fall all over the place.

I guess a net would do that also, but net is ugly.. these things are nice and out of site.

Mike

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.