Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all: after a few months enjoying the SHAWD, things in my trunk have a definite habit of moving during motion changes. I still have the stock carpet-lined trunk.

I am considering the cargo net, to hold full time items towards the rear seat wall, and thus leaving room at the trunk's bumper end for storage.

Any advice & experience on:
1. Cargo net?
2. Trunk mat - may have higher friction, stopping things from sliding??
3. Any other solutions?

TY in advance!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hello all: after a few months enjoying the SHAWD, things in my trunk have a definite habit of moving during motion changes. I still have the stock carpet-lined trunk.

I am considering the cargo net, to hold full time items towards the rear seat wall, and thus leaving room at the trunk's bumper end for storage.

1. Cargo net?
3. Any other solutions?
TY in advance!
I have the trunk mats. They tend to hold things together pretty decently. However, I did see at the Acura accessories store that they have grocery bag hooks that have predetermined locations under the rear shelf for installation. Each hook holds three bags. I'm thinking about going that route too. Check it out.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY @MikeinEDH. I have one grocery hook installed, it holds bags VERY well - I recommend them.

However, it is mounted at the edge of the trunk deck - to far towards the bumper for what I need. I need something to contain some critical larger objects - notably my box of safety stuff and my portable golf locker :). And closer to the rear seat wall.

Reactions: MikeinEDH

·
Registered
15 Posts
Have you tried using the built-in cubby hole storage under the panel that lifts up at the rear? They are large enough to hold shopping bags etc. and are super convenient for keeping things from sliding around!

·
Registered
238 Posts

1. Cargo net?
3. Any other solutions?

TY in advance!
I had the cargo net in my previous Civic, and it seems the TLX version is pretty similar. I did not find them all that useful -- it takes a bit of effort to setup for each use , and the net only stopped the motion of bags in one direction. e.g., in the rain, I'm not going to take the time to find the four loop ends of the net and wrap around the "buttons" mounted in the trunk

I thought about the accessory hooks mentioned, but the idea of drilling into the car seems a bit much for me. I was thinking about buying some $3 squeeze clamps from Home Depot to achieve the same goal.

That said, so far, the depressed areas in the sides of the trunk of the AWD version seem to keep my milk and juice in place...

·
Registered
15 Posts
That said, so far, the depressed areas in the sides of the trunk of the AWD version seem to keep my milk and juice in place...
Did you know you can open the panel at the rear trunk floor to expose two deep cubby holes to hold items from sliding? Much better than those areas at the sides!

·
Registered
238 Posts
Did you know you can open the panel at the rear trunk floor to expose two deep cubby holes to hold items from sliding? Much better than those areas at the sides!
yes, I'm aware of those cubby holes, but given my frequent skiing during the winter, I put a fabric protective layer in the trunk to keep any moisture from my skis, boots, board, ski clothing, etc. from getting onto the carpet making these cubby holes a bit of pain to get to. With temperatures usually around -10 deg F and blustery, I don't want to have to spend the time setting that fabric every time. That's why I was looking at the small squeeze clamps from home depot.

Besides, I've also found that a properly packed, re-usable canvas/stiff-plastic grocery bag tends to stay pretty upright for the 2 miles from my grocery store to home.

·
Registered
438 Posts
the trunk mats dont really prevent things from sliding especially if you drive crazy with heavy brakes. nothing's going to prevent that

that being said, the major purpose of a trunk mat is to prevent dirt or snow or mud or soggy stuff from soaking into the fabric bottom and permanently stain it.

for my family, we just get a storage bin and hold my groceries: its the one with the screwdriver inside in this link

http://www.tlxforums.com/forum/72201-post16.html

u can get those at any walmart

or if wanna go cheap, just get a cardboard box lol (like the one in the left of those photos, we store other junk there like tote bags etc)

·
Registered
222 Posts
As for things that move around, i always try to get containers I can keep them in. Usually wal-mart is my go to place, just some generic storage container.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have you tried using the built-in cubby hole storage under the panel that lifts up at the rear? They are large enough to hold shopping bags etc. and are super convenient for keeping things from sliding around!
I had the cargo net in my previous Civic, and it seems the TLX version is pretty similar. I did not find them all that useful -- it takes a bit of effort to setup for each use , and the net only stopped the motion of bags in one direction. e.g., in the rain, I'm not going to take the time to find the four loop ends of the net and wrap around the "buttons" mounted in the trunk

for my family, we just get a storage bin and hold my groceries: its the one with the screwdriver inside in this link
TY team. These cubby holes are at the wrong end of the trunk for my problem - I want to keep things packed Forward, so that the Rear end (bumper end) is free and clear for daily activities. I am already using a cheap plastic box so everything drifting around stays in the box. I just want to box to stop drifting. I may try attaching a piece of sandpaper (or 1 side of a Velcro strip?) to the box bottom for more friction.

Other ideas and photos welcome please.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Cargo Holder

TY team. These cubby holes are at the wrong end of the trunk for my problem - I want to keep things packed Forward, so that the Rear end (bumper end) is free and clear for daily activities. I am already using a cheap plastic box so everything drifting around stays in the box. I just want to box to stop drifting. I may try attaching a piece of sandpaper (or 1 side of a Velcro strip?) to the box bottom for more friction.

Other ideas and photos welcome please.
Here is a perfect solution for you. My wife found this on QVC, I believe it was like $25. It has four separate sections but it can be conformed many different ways. When you don't need it you can fold it like an accordion and put it out of the way. These are in her 2015 MDX, but I'm going to trade her. The picture on the right is the Acura one I had in my 2009 TSX, however it is a little big for the TLX

Also along with the QVC one you also get a flat cold/hot insulated matching container which is probably 14" square. These maybe available in different colors I'm not sure my wife has the light Parchmant interior so it was a good match.

Attachments

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here is a perfect solution for you. My wife found this on QVC, I believe it was like $25. It has four separate sections but it can be conformed many different ways. When you don't need it you can fold it like an accordion and put it out of the way. These are in her 2015 MDX, but I'm going to trade her. The picture on the right is the Acura one I had in my 2009 TSX, however it is a little big for the TLX

Also along with the QVC one you also get a flat cold/hot insulated matching container which is probably 14" square. These maybe available in different colors I'm not sure my wife has the light Parchmant interior so it was a good match.
Ty @Catman! Does it fasten somehow or is it free to slide? Although loaded up the slide might be minimized.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Try these: Amazon.com: Stayhold SH002X2 Gray Cargo Companion - Twin Pack: Automotive

they are basically walls that stick with velcro to the trunk rug. I use one to hold back the stuff I leave in the trunk and have the other in the trunk if needed.

Had the cargo net on my 2000 TL and liked it. I even it saved when I traded for the TLX but no mounting spots, so would be a production to install one. I did get two cargo hooks which work quite well with grocery bags.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@sbillard thank you. Just ordered from Amazon and will advise!

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I had the cargo net in my Civic. I found it got in the way more than anything.

The trunk mat is great for keeping a clean trunk floor. I really don't think it helps much from things sliding around. I'll probably get one for my TLX.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I had the cargo net in my Civic. I found it got in the way more than anything.

The trunk mat is great for keeping a clean trunk floor. I really don't think it helps much from things sliding around. I'll probably get one for my TLX.
I agree. This time I got the trunk mat and the cargo hooks, and the spare tire kit.

Really like and use the cargo hooks a lot. :)

·
Registered
666 Posts
I had a cargo net with my TL and asked for one with the TLX but the dealer threw in the rubber trunk mats instead. My canvass shopping bags hold purchases together quite well and have not really found a need for cargo hooks.

The mats would make it difficult to get out the spare tire, especially if there was any luggage of bags in the trunk, so I have opted for no spare tire.>:D

·
Registered
681 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Results: thanks to @sbillard, i ordered the StayHold and they work great. Put them into a high G parking lot turn and nothing moved. :)

I cut down the second holder on the table saw for better fit.

Note - these work great on the TLX carpet. But they didn't hold AT ALL on our 2010 Odyssey...

Attachments

Reactions: Lexie

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Results: thanks to @sbillard, i ordered the StayHold and they work great. Put them into a high G parking lot turn and nothing moved. :)

I cut down the second holder on the table saw for better fit.

Note - these work great on the TLX carpet. But they didn't hold AT ALL on our 2010 Odyssey...
Very good follow-up and review. Thanks! :)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts