Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
BTW, scroll to the bottom.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
One more item: I hate to perpetuate unconfirmed rumors, so I have emailed my service manager, that I have been working with, to see if she can confirm this. More to come!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Thanks for sharing. I was hoping Acura would release something for this. My only worry is if something else pops up due to this update.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Here's another review specifically calling out the transmission issues in the TLX that a number of contributors, including myself, have observed. I think these "professional reviews" in auto trade magazines alone will provide plenty of motivation for Acura to expend some resources and get this issue addressed permanently before it impacts sales

Test Drive: 2015 Acura TLX V6 SH-AWD - Autos.ca

Given how great the rest of the TLX is, this transmission issue is the one thing keeping the TLX from being compared to other top-tier luxury vehicles in its class. E.g., I've driven Mercedes and BMW's before, and their transmissions are far more refined, even 20 years ago and today. Even my 2002 Civic (4 AT), while not perfect, shifted in a more refined manner at speeds below 30 mph.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Odd that the description of the shifting in the 9 speed is just about the same that some experience with the 8 speed. Completely different designs yet similar results.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I heard back from my service manager. After two days, she heard back from TechLine. She was told there is a software update available now, that addresses the 2-3 shift issue in the 9 speed. They are still working on making it better, and they are going to keep my car for a week. They will be gathering data on speed, shift points, transmission fluid, and temperature, all while it is hooked up to a computer (beginning Monday.) After that, they will install the update, and do all of the tests again. This update sounds like a work in progress.

She did also say that is you "drive enthusiastically", you can still slightly feel the 2-3 bump. I am going to be happy with even a slight improvement, knowing they are still working on making this better.

This news makes me love my car even more! :)

I don't have any specifics on the update itself, but once my car is returned next week, I will update everyone.

I am excited!

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
222 Posts
Good for those that like how the 8 speed shifts and feels at least they will end up getting that experience along with likely improve mileage with the extra gear.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The latest Feb 2 nd update helped but the same problems are still present. There's nothing to excited about. This car is loaded with transmission issues.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
The latest Feb 2 nd update helped but the same problems are still present. There's nothing to excited about. This car is loaded with transmission issues.

@Devonalexei ,

Sorry to hear.
Try to limit double-posting on the same issue, unless you found more to add to help benefit other members. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
***UPDATE****

I received my car back from Acura yesterday. The updated applied for the 9 speed transmission is TCM1983, per my service order. The service rep told me that this is available to anyone who brings in their TLX, and when they plug it in, the update will show up.

My best analysis of the update: the difference depends on how much gas you are giving the car when the shift from 2-3 happens. Very light, and you can hardly notice it. Medium, everyday driving still results in a bump, although it is lessened. What surprised me the most is that more spirited acceleration results in almost no bump at all. That was where, before, I felt it the most (around 3000 to 3500 RPMs.)

It was noted that this is a work in progress. Snapshots of the performance were sent to Acura before and after the update, as well as driver feedback.

I encourage all to get this done, if nothing else, so Acura has more data to compile. They will continue working on this software, to make the transmission smooth.

(Side note: The district service manager in my area has been driving a 9 speed TLX for weeks now, and he knows the issue quite well he stated.)

I love this car, and the attention Acura has given to make this my perfect car. :)

Wes

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.