Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After reading about the issues encountered by buyers I am starting to think my wife should postpone her on-order SH-AWD Elite to a 2016 model. She has already given her 2012 TL SH-AWD to the dealer so if we cancel they have to write her a cheque, and if we postpone I guess we keep my 2009 Acura RDX for another few months. Thoughts?

·
Registered
666 Posts
There are some owners with problems but the forums tend to be a magnet and a place for them to report their issues. I fully expect the problems to be resolved, maybe with some inconvenience. The majority of owners who do not have problems do not come here to say that everything is fine.

It is your choice, but I would not wait as you will be waiting at least 6 months for the 2016 which will be 98% to same as the 2015.

·
Registered
23 Posts
There are some owners with problems but the forums tend to be a magnet and a place for them to report their issues. I fully expect the problems to be resolved, maybe with some inconvenience. The majority of owners who do not have problems do not come here to say that everything is fine.

It is your choice, but I would not wait as you will be waiting at least 6 months for the 2016 which will be 98% to same as the 2015.
I totally agree with TLX2014. I joined and watched the forums as a way of getting more familiar with Acura in general and specifically the TLX during the long 94 day wait for my TLX to arrive from the factory. I experienced some anguish as I read about other's problems, but if you take into account the number of TLXs sold, it puts a new light on situation. There are a lot of happy TLX owners who have no problems. I am one of those who are delighted with their TLX. NO PROBLEMS!

Good luck with your decision and happy motoring.

PleasantRidger
TLX SHAWD Advance

·
Registered
92 Posts
I agree. The vast majority of TLX owners have no issues at all. If there were any major defects in the car, this forum would be much, much busier. Personally, I was planning to wait for the 2016 TLX, but I couldn't say no when my dealer offered to take back my 2012 MDX with 14 months left on the lease. I am really glad that I didn't wait. It really is a great car.

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
681 Posts
Agreed with all above.

I have also found the forum causes me to 'look' for things that otherwise wouldnt bother me. As an example, i enjoy the sound system witn ANC etc. However, with all the discussion on sound issues, i went through the work that others described. And then returned to factory settings!

So knowledge is power, you just have to decide what to do with it.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Agreed.

Consider me a happy, trouble-free driver as well.

:)

I enjoy reading what others have learned so I can learn as well.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Odored

The title of this thread reminded me of funny topic with my TLX.

When I first took my TLX to have it washed by the guys where I work, I asked them to not "odor" my car since I want to keep the new car smell.

I place, and continue to place, this placard in my car in order to not be odorized. I also want to keep my tinted windows pristine and also I can clean my own touch screens with micro fiber cloths.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Totaly agreed with all the comments on this post.This car is just terrific. The new 9-speed tranny makes use of a new concept and does require some learning into making the best use out of it. It does not fell like the traditional 5 or 6 speed tranny but like anything else new technology requires some adaptation. But how else can you floor the throttle at 80 kph and still get pull back into your seat...Love the car

·
Registered
96 Posts
Not sure if 2016 alone fixes things. If Acura halted V6 sales, my guess is to address major issues. Once they are resolved, 2015 model should be good to go. If time allows, wait until fall, but still buy a 2015 model, you should get a much better deal.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Not sure if 2016 alone fixes things. If Acura halted V6 sales, my guess is to address major issues. Once they are resolved, 2015 model should be good to go. If time allows, wait until fall, but still buy a 2015 model, you should get a much better deal.

The only halt of V6 sales was due to transmission safety issue (rollaway) back in December. There are no current "show stoppers" that I am aware of.

·
Registered
22 Posts

So the 2016 model will be almost identical? Is there a reference you have for this? Any chance there could be a type s or a-spec option in 2016?

Thanks

·
Registered
438 Posts
there are no news on the 2016 model year TLX. the only issue with current SH-AWD models is the P shift issue. acura has said that new cars going forward will not have issues and only the few early adopters potentially have issues.

so i think u r safe to get a SH-AWD elite now, just make sure to apply the parking brake as a precaution

Reactions: TLXorNot

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had my V-6 SH-AWD Advance for 4 months now (with 5K miles). I ABSOLUTELY love it (and I haven't gotten the software or the recall done which will happen next week before my ski/road trip). Going from my '09 TSX to TLX does take a little adjustment & learning curve as the transmission has a different feel (with the engine auto-stop/start). I absolutely love the brake hold feature. Use it each time I drive. The only thing that I noticed is when I remotely start the car & then get in to drive off, on average, once in 6 times the heated seats don't come on (they are set for auto) when I hit the start button & when I go & try turning the seats on manually the touch screen shows the color when I touch one of the 3 level buttons (for intensity of the heated seats), but goes off as soon as I let my finger off the screen & will not turn the seats on like the software locks it up. It only clears when I shut off the engine & restart, then it's all back to normal.
What I am impressed with is the range of the remote for the remote start. On my old TSX I had an after market remote start with a long range & that couldn't touch the range that is on this Acura remote. I am completely pleasantly surprised with that.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Having to turn the car off to get the seat warmers working has been reported by other owners, but I have not experienced this with my Elite. It is a software bug.

The range for the remote start is good for large parking lots, but not so much when there are concrete walls and buildings between the remote and the car.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I have had my V6 FWD Advance TLX for two weeks now - not even broken in yet. Since winter has finally decided to settle in Indiana I have been very happy to have the remote start. So far range has not been a problem. I have my seats set to warm up automatically and after reading some of the other posts I am not sure I am not becoming paranoid. My heated seats will start off at level three heat (highest setting) but as I spend time in the car the heat drops to level 2 and then to level 1. With all of the talk of software bugs I am not sure whether the reduction in heating is a designed feature to keep from frying my butt or an unintended software bug.

Remote starts really well. It only turns on motor and heating features to include front and rear window defoggers. No lighting comes on and transmission can't be engaged. Also, in very cold days like we are currently having, the tips of the exhaust are shielded by the rear bumper and there is very little telltale exhaust to indicate the car is running.

My puddle lights, interior lights, and, I think, headlights come on when I am about three feet from the car. I only have to touch the door handle and the car will beep twice and unlock.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have had my V6 FWD Advance TLX for two weeks now - not even broken in yet. Since winter has finally decided to settle in Indiana I have been very happy to have the remote start. So far range has not been a problem. I have my seats set to warm up automatically and after reading some of the other posts I am not sure I am not becoming paranoid. My heated seats will start off at level three heat (highest setting) but as I spend time in the car the heat drops to level 2 and then to level 1. With all of the talk of software bugs I am not sure whether the reduction in heating is a designed feature to keep from frying my butt or an unintended software bug.

Remote starts really well. It only turns on motor and heating features to include front and rear window defoggers. No lighting comes on and transmission can't be engaged. Also, in very cold days like we are currently having, the tips of the exhaust are shielded by the rear bumper and there is very little telltale exhaust to indicate the car is running.

My puddle lights, interior lights, and, I think, headlights come on when I am about three feet from the car. I only have to touch the door handle and the car will beep twice and unlock.
That is the proper way it should. When you get in the (cold) car the seats turn on the highest level relative to the outside temperature & the current temperature of the vehicle/engine. As the car gets warmer the seat heating level decreases to keep it comfortable. That's the idea behind the automatic setting. if you get out of the car & return in a few seconds/minutes it will only turn the seats on the level that it deems appropriate (maybe level 2, maybe level 1 in regards to the temperature outside & inside)

·
Registered
681 Posts
I've had my V-6 SH-AWD Advance for 4 months now (with 5K miles). I ABSOLUTELY love it (and I haven't gotten the software or the recall done which will happen next week before my ski/road trip). Going from my '09 TSX to TLX does take a little adjustment & learning curve as the transmission has a different feel (with the engine auto-stop/start). I absolutely love the brake hold feature. Use it each time I drive. The only thing that I noticed is when I remotely start the car & then get in to drive off, on average, once in 6 times the heated seats don't come on (they are set for auto) when I hit the start button & when I go & try turning the seats on manually the touch screen shows the color when I touch one of the 3 level buttons (for intensity of the heated seats), but goes off as soon as I let my finger off the screen & will not turn the seats on like the software locks it up. It only clears when I shut off the engine & restart, then it's all back to normal.
What I am impressed with is the range of the remote for the remote start. On my old TSX I had an after market remote start with a long range & that couldn't touch the range that is on this Acura remote. I am completely pleasantly surprised with that.
No abnormal seat heat issues for me - remote start and auto seat heat are working perfectly. And the physical range of the remote start is awesome! Need to build that feature into the App though.

I have seen other complaints about the level of heat. To be honest: in jeans its perfect in Canada. In my work/dress pants, it gets a little warm.

So no complaints here at all.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I have a theory that the software is different between the US and Canadian models and with the US version being flawed. Supporting this theory is:
- there has been an ODMD update in the US that has not been released here
- US has voice commands for destination entry but Canada is only letter by letter

Any Canadian owners having a problem?

·
Registered
28 Posts
No software or heat level issues for me. I am getting a little annoyed with having to use the touch screen to turn seat heaters on/off. It takes three clicks every time. I have the Tech model, so there is no automated way to control them (is there?). I really wish Acura used a simple rocker switch for this function, just like my old Accord.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts