Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There seems to be a consensus that tinting is a good thing. I was also thinking about blacking out the existing chrome on the car. One can buy black logo and "TLX" badges, but there is no black A-spec badge.

I mocked one up, and think it would go well. The challenge now is to find someone who can paint/powedercoat the A-spec badge.

I'm going to call my wheel shop to see if they can do anything along these lines with the A-spec badge. If you have any experience with enamel/powercoat - any advice would be welcome.

I understand this is all cosmetic, but that's part of the fun.

·
Super Moderator
801 Posts
There seems to be a consensus that tinting is a good thing. I was also thinking about blacking out the existing chrome on the car. One can buy black logo and "TLX" badges, but there is no black A-spec badge.

I mocked one up, and think it would go well. The challenge now is to find someone who can paint/powedercoat the A-spec badge.

I'm going to call my wheel shop to see if they can do anything along these lines with the A-spec badge. If you have any experience with enamel/powercoat - any advice would be welcome.

I understand this is all cosmetic, but that's part of the fun.
No doubt the blacking out of the trim makes for some sharp contrast and will look great. Just wondering about the Aspec badge. All black? Would you be able to read the Aspec lettering unless you were right on top of it?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Since the A-Spec window trim and grille are already "blacked out" with a dark-smoked chrome, I'm not sure that going true black will make much difference like it does on my '16 tech. There's a big change there. As for the emblems, rather than going black, I used smoke vinyl to wrap the Acura trunk logo, and love the effect. The front emblem will get the same treatment when I black out the grille. I'd bet the giving the A-Spec badges the same treatment would look good as well.

OEM

Window Trim Blackout

Tinted emblem and reflectors, blacked-out reflector trim.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Since the A-Spec window trim and grille are already "blacked out" with a dark-smoked chrome, I'm not sure that going true black will make much difference like it does on my '16 tech. There's a big change there. As for the emblems, rather than going black, I used smoke vinyl to wrap the Acura trunk logo, and love the effect. The front emblem will get the same treatment when I black out the grille. I'd bet the giving the A-Spec badges the same treatment would look good as well.

OEM
View attachment 25480

Window Trim Blackout
View attachment 25482

Tinted emblem and reflectors, blacked-out reflector trim.
View attachment 25481
I ordered a A-spec badge to see what I am working with. Could you tell me more about he smoke wrap that you used?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No doubt the blacking out of the trim makes for some sharp contrast and will look great. Just wondering about the Aspec badge. All black? Would you be able to read the Aspec lettering unless you were right on top of it?
I've got a badge coming to see what I am working with. My general idea is to keep the red, change the chrome for black (or black chrome), and the black (text) with shark grey (paint and wheel color). I guess I'm not worried if folks can see the lettering from far away.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've got a badge coming to see what I am working with. My general idea is to keep the red, change the chrome for black (or black chrome), and the black (text) with shark grey (paint and wheel color). I guess I'm not worried if folks can see the lettering from far away.
Let us know what you come up with please. I posted asking the same thing a month ago but still haven’t figured out a way to black out the ASpec badge without it looking cheap. I dipped all my other badges black and it looks nice. Tried the ring around the front grille emblem but failed miserably. Trying to figure out how to pop out the ring so I can dip the badge without having to worry about the grooves and edges.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I don't know about the 18-ups, but my front emblem is held in with two small screws. The trouble is, you have to do this to get to them. 😳
IMG_20200919_202513~01.jpg

Well, maybe if you knew where they were, and had small hands and a short screwdriver you could get it off by itself? I'll have to look when I reassemble it.

My tinted emblem with a black beak. (The trim ring still needs to be done.)

EDIT: I just realized the black is so shiny that it looks like chrome. It's actually black. Honest! :D

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ran across this photo - and while it's an optical illusion - the A Spec badge looks like what I am going for. Red "A", black field, and shark lettering. I'm going to show my badge to some local car guys to see if I can get some powder coated to my request.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts