Acura TLX Forum banner

The Design Team and the TLX

23K views 51 replies 14 participants last post by  tino 
#1 ·
Acura posted this pic of the design engineers for the TLX on their Facebook page. The comments are very brutal and I won't go into that here.

Are they genius or stooge?

See less See more
#7 ·
What were the comments?

BTW the first guy is a GIANT

#14 ·
Ok lets hold on for a second, was the dont judge a book by its cover lesson missed? I'm not sure how you can judge a mans design capabilities by how he looks in jeans and an acura button up...

as for the man from lexus, I dont care how floral his tie is, HES STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS:

#18 ·
After thinking about it for several days, I really don't think that the design engineers are all that much to blame for the (seemingly) lack that this car has shown so far. I really think that they were given some pretty narrow parameters to work with.

1. It had to fit between the ILX and the RLX.

2. It had to transition the TSX into that model niche. I honestly believe that this is the updated TSX.

3. Showcase the newest automatic transmissions Honda had developed.

4. High fuel efficiency.

5. Target younger, upwardly mobile, family oriented drivers.

The family aspect of this car is very obvious. Low key, high tech, and just enough power to get out of trouble if needed. I think that the this design team did a very fantastic job of giving the Acura execs just what they wanted.

Oh, and I totally agree that the 3rd Gen TL was the apex of Acura's primacy in design. Nothing has even come close to that near perfection since.

#19 ·
How did they get from THIS:

To this:

Again. THIS:

To this:

#20 ·
I agree with the Lexus comparison. I think it borrows a great deal from the last generation IS. They just added some character lines on the side...

#22 ·
Can you post the link?

I don't see the pic with the designers on their Facebook page

#26 ·
Don't bet on it. Acura if their history since 2009 is any indication, forges ahead no matter what. In spite of all the negative remarks and feedback, Acura will stand pat on this lineup. What they will do instead is try to find the right marketing campaign to sell their product.

#28 ·
Which, I believe, is more than half the reason behind the delay to dealers.

In some ways, Acura is nearly as bad as Apple for telling us what we want instead of giving us what we want.

:lol:

I might just buy one of these down the road three or four years if they are as solid. By that time I won't mind the lower power as I'll be pushing 60 pretty hard. :p

Who knows? The TLX might just be what we DO want in a car.

#32 ·
Do you think that Acura is more popular regions outside of North America? Maybe Acura's design language is better received in japan or something. I don't really know for sure, I'm just throwing this out there as a possible explanation for why Acura seems to forge ahead despite negative reactions.

#34 ·
Acura
May 6
Meet the men of the hour: The brilliant group of engineers who put power, design and the thrill of the drive first while building #thenewTLX. Learn more about the latest addition to our lineup: Acura | Acura TLX | Acura.com
Photo: Meet the men of the hour: The brilliant group of engineers who put power, design and the thrill of the drive first while building #thenewTLX. Learn more about the latest addition to our lineup: Acura | Acura TLX | Acura.com
62Like · · Share

Not sure why you are not seeing this.....above is a messy cut and paste from the link.
btw this is fenderstrat69 with a different account/username....lost password.

Can anyone else see/not see the Acura Facebook Link?

#35 ·
I just don't see how the design team can even be remotely blamed for the TLX. Most people are upset over the mechanical details, what do the guys who drew the skin have to do with anything? You know they didnt have Carte Blanche, I can imagine the conversation, draw us something different but not too different that it would be considered different.

draft 1-201, no good, no good... Why cant you make it look more like the ILX, we like the ILX.. the board nods... er, alright mister chairman if you insist...

Hands are tieed, Acura is not allowed to play in the sandbox without mommy hondas supervision...

#38 ·
I'm not as upset about the lack of a manual transmission. I think that manual transmissions are being phased out and I'm okay with that as long as the new transmissions they are using are better than the manuals we are getting rid of.

The design may not be the final nail in the coffin, but I'm not sure that it is helping out the TLX as much as it could have. People were hoping for something different and they got more of the same from Acura.

#39 ·
I don't know what the problem is here. The 3rd Gen TL and 1st Gen TSX were significant successes and people still adore their design to this day. You see them on the streets and they still look good unlike many other cars of that same period. The TLX's design is very much reminiscent of them and it makes sense. The people who expect something very different and radical are the minority and they judge only by first impression. These same people probably complained about the 3rd Gen TL and 1st Gen TSX too. Acura is wise to play it safe and not listen to those folks with volatile tastes. Most likely these people will change their mind in a couple of years and would want yet another entirely new design, when the bold design invariably gets tired and old.

Just like 3rd Gen TL and 1st Gen TSX, the TLX will age well.

#40 ·
I hear you, as we were saying earlier Acura plays the simple design card and that is not necessarily a bad thing. The people uppity are upset that Acura didnt play to trends. Its the same reason blackberry was hammered, they didnt play to trends they built an all business phone and people were angry that they didnt build a phone for teenage girls.

Same with the TLX, people are upset because their car doesn't satisfy the jalopnik faithful..

as to the manual comment above. people are not upset the manual is gone because the gearboxes are worse, people mourn the loss of manual because a its an engagement, clutch and stick turn the vehicle into an extension of your body. It can't be explained if you don't get that....

#41 ·
One small problem with the trends analogy to Blackberry. That phone company is gone.

If Acura doesn't start to get a bit more trendy and listen to its critics, it will be gone inside of 5 years. Trying to set new trends is a risky business move, but maybe they feel with where their sales are today compared with 2006, they feel they have nothing to lose.

#43 ·
What do you mean gone LOL, relatively sure they still exist. I mean the office just got updated Q10's not so long ago. They may of lost the consumer market, but as a business phone it is still absolutely stellar... Their core competencies were and always will be the enterprise market, when BB got into trouble was when they tried to go blow for blow with Apple in the consumer arena. Torch and Playbook were unmitigated disasters unfortunately.

#49 ·
I love these forums where everyone slams the look of the new TLX but sees no problem at all with current Lexus models that have gigantic grills that resemble the open mouth of a whale. The TLX looks positively understated in comparison. And by the way, if you think the designer from Lexus has any fashion sense at all, you need to subscribe to a blog called Ask Andy. The guy pictured above is the very definition of nerd.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.