Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Acura posted this pic of the design engineers for the TLX on their Facebook page. The comments are very brutal and I won't go into that here.

Are they genius or stooge?

·
Registered
260 Posts
These guys look really boring and not the most artistic. They kinda look like the TLX itself in that way. The lead designer of Lexus looks far more interesting and artistic. Maybe Acura needs to choose some engineers that have some edge to them.

·
Registered
87 Posts
These guys look really boring and not the most artistic. They kinda look like the TLX itself in that way. The lead designer of Lexus looks far more interesting and artistic. Maybe Acura needs to choose some engineers that have some edge to them.

You serious?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What were the comments?

BTW the first guy is a GIANT

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I found no such pic on Acura's facebook page.
Was still there a few minutes ago. Are you sure that you are looking at Acura' official facebook page? There are a great many Acura dedicated pages on there.

What were the comments?

BTW the first guy is a GIANT
Comments were 10-1 negative on the car. All I will say. This car seems to be very highly controversial, to say the least.

·
Registered
260 Posts
You serious?
Alright, maybe he's not the coolest looking guy around, but you can tell that he has some fashion sense. I think its pretty obvious that he is willing to take more fashion and design risks than these guys are.

I can understand how you would think I'm joking though.

I still stand by my original comment.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Alright, maybe he's not the coolest looking guy around, but you can tell that he has some fashion sense. I think its pretty obvious that he is willing to take more fashion and design risks than these guys are.

I can understand how you would think I'm joking though.

I still stand by my original comment.

Thank God Acura is not treating car designs as fashion...

Some people drool for in-your-face bold and risky, cool today crappy tomorrow designs, good for them. They also like changing cars every 3-4 years (just on time when the "cool" design becomes crappy).

I prefer conservative, classic, tried-and-true designs.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Thank God Acura is not treating car designs as fashion...

Some people drool for in-your-face bold and risky, cool today crappy tomorrow designs, good for them. They also like changing cars every 3-4 years (just on time when the "cool" design becomes crappy).

I prefer conservative, classic, tried-and-true designs.
I rather have the more fashion-geared approach to design. Acura designs are nice, especially the RLX but there are designs that I prefer which are offered from other brand, but those brand are some way out of my budget.

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
To be perfectly honest, Acura used to design cars that were simple in their presentation, but were absolutely beautiful at the same time. Elegant lines, and bold performance.

Wish to heck they would get back to that.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ok lets hold on for a second, was the dont judge a book by its cover lesson missed? I'm not sure how you can judge a mans design capabilities by how he looks in jeans and an acura button up...

as for the man from lexus, I dont care how floral his tie is, HES STILL RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS:

·
Registered
339 Posts
way too wild for me to be honest

i think in a few years all these crazy lexus designs will be worthless

·
Registered
727 Posts
To be perfectly honest, Acura used to design cars that were simple in their presentation, but were absolutely beautiful at the same time. Elegant lines, and bold performance.

Wish to heck they would get back to that.
YES!
I want those days back. The 90's for them was the best. A example of those times was the RL, this RL:

Even the refreshed last generation of the RL was nice too

and of course the best looking TL generation, can't forget the TL-S from this gen:

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After thinking about it for several days, I really don't think that the design engineers are all that much to blame for the (seemingly) lack that this car has shown so far. I really think that they were given some pretty narrow parameters to work with.

1. It had to fit between the ILX and the RLX.

2. It had to transition the TSX into that model niche. I honestly believe that this is the updated TSX.

3. Showcase the newest automatic transmissions Honda had developed.

4. High fuel efficiency.

5. Target younger, upwardly mobile, family oriented drivers.

The family aspect of this car is very obvious. Low key, high tech, and just enough power to get out of trouble if needed. I think that the this design team did a very fantastic job of giving the Acura execs just what they wanted.

Oh, and I totally agree that the 3rd Gen TL was the apex of Acura's primacy in design. Nothing has even come close to that near perfection since.

·
Registered
44 Posts
How did they get from THIS:

To this:

Again. THIS:

To this:

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree with the Lexus comparison. I think it borrows a great deal from the last generation IS. They just added some character lines on the side...

1 - 20 of 52 Posts