Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you all noticed that the bluetooth kind of sucks? I find that it is very slow and not very responsive both from the phone to the car and also from the car to the phone.

I'm using an iphone 6 and a base P-AWS TLX and notice that there is a few second delay from output on the phone until it comes through the speakers, easily seen if you have the click noises on while typing you'll notice a flury of clicks start after you have been typing already and keep going once you're finished. Not the most annoying situation but more annoying when trying to show any type of video like a snapchat or youtube where audio and video need to be synced up.

Going in the other direction when you skip to the next song on bluetooth audio using the steering or radio controls it takes a few seconds longer then any other car i've used bluetooth audio in to actually make the song change.

Also it's really frustrating that the gps instructions come through like a phone call when not selected on the bluetooth audio source. On apple maps you can activate allow HFP prompts which allows the phone to speak over whatever current audio source you have selected and should work in a way that just slightly lowers the volume of the radio and allows the GPS voice to speak over, not cut away and treat it like a phone call.

Are others frustrated and/or seeing the same issues? Is there a way to upgrade/update the bluetooth? The Fords and Chevys i get for rental cars perform way better in the bluetooth realm of things then my TLX currently is.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I haven't seen the issues you see but I am using an Android. I had KitKat and Lollipop and both had no issues with Bluetooth. I use BT everyday to listen to audio books, make phone calls and listen to music. The A2DP really brings out the music fidelity. I have no complaints. If no one else has suggestions, bring up your issues with the dealer.

·
Super Moderator
1,007 Posts
Same experience as #summest . Sound it much better via BT than XM. I do like HD radio, when available.
iPhone 5, 8.0.3

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
148 Posts
It a factor of the device and the specifications of bluetooth 4.x . Honda/Acura is way behind in BT interface and UI/UX.

·
Registered
11 Posts
No real problems with BT here either using android lollipop, connects all the time and plays without a hitch. Except there is a slight lag, but not irritating, when cycling through music stored on my phone.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
It a factor of the device and the specifications of bluetooth 4.x . Honda/Acura is way behind in BT interface and UI/UX.
I noticed that new versions of bluetooth allow you connect multiple devices that can work at the same time. Is that a feature of bluetooth 4 or is it a special identifier like A2DP was? Been curious about this lately.

My friend has bluetooth in his car for is cell phone but he also just bought a watch. Both connect and work at the same time. Previously we had to disconnect one to get the other working.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just this afternoon when attempting to place or receive a call via BT the volume of the call is is extrmeley low, and the caller/recipient cannot hear anything that I am saying. I restored the default settings on the AcuraLink Nav console, reset my iPhone 6+ (IOS 8.4), and still no change. At present I am only able to listen to music via USB. Very disappointed as I've owned the car for less than a week.

Initially I noticed some BT pairing issues when the stereo would fail to reload my playlist after playing the last song (displayed the song/track as "No Title" and basically locked, as I was unable to escape or back out of the "No Title" track). This occured yesterday, so as of today BT is malfunctioning both in the phone and audio player functions.

2016 TLX Adv-AWD

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I have an iPhone 6 and it works fine for both music and phone calls. What you're explaining is not normal. I suggest a visit to the dealer and explain what it is doing and maybe try to pair your phone with another TLX on the lot to see if it works better. That may prove an issue with your car.

The volume of the caller can be controlled by the volume wheel on the steering wheel. It won't do much for the caller on the other end though.

·
Registered
93 Posts
You guys don't have any lag?! I am in Spotify and I have a couple seconds lag when changing songs and stuff.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Just this afternoon when attempting to place or receive a call via BT the volume of the call is is extrmeley low, and the caller/recipient cannot hear anything that I am saying. I restored the default settings on the AcuraLink Nav console, reset my iPhone 6+ (IOS 8.4), and still no change. At present I am only able to listen to music via USB. Very disappointed as I've owned the car for less than a week.

Initially I noticed some BT pairing issues when the stereo would fail to reload my playlist after playing the last song (displayed the song/track as "No Title" and basically locked, as I was unable to escape or back out of the "No Title" track). This occured yesterday, so as of today BT is malfunctioning both in the phone and audio player functions.

2016 TLX Adv-AWD
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

As mentioned, definitely visit your dealer and see your salesman. I have no issues on my Android phone with volume or lag. I listen to Audio Books, MP3s, Tune-In Radio stations and Pandora. I see no lag whatsoever. I also see no issue during BT phone calls.

I do have to remember to set the BT volume on the phone to max so I can control the volume on the ELS.

BTW, please tell us more about your TLX.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
The lag I experience with the iPhone is consistent with the past few Hondas I've had. The lag I'm talking about is if you skip to the next song, playlist, etc. Once the music is playing though, there are no issues.

The phone calls work fine as well as text.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Youtube voice out of sync

I just paired my iPhone6 and noticed the lag too. It's ok if just for music. But the youtube video voice is a few seconds out of sync. I may need to bring it to dealer if all your guys don't have that problem. Wonder if only happens to iphone.

·
Registered
520 Posts
My wife tested our Slingbox through the iPhone yesterday and there is about a 2 to 3 second lag. It is pretty bad, compared to the $30 bluetooth add on I bought for her car which is perfect. Since I don't tend to watch TV or Youtube while I drive it is not that big of a problem for me :)

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I just paired my iPhone6 and noticed the lag too. It's ok if just for music. But the youtube video voice is a few seconds out of sync. I may need to bring it to dealer if all your guys don't have that problem. Wonder if only happens to iphone.
Welcome to the Forum! Sorry I missed your first posts. :)

If you didn't post it elsewhere, please tell us what you are driving.

As far as the YouTube slowness, I just noticed this yesterday. I never played YouTube in the car before but I was looking at some videos and also noticed the delay. Odd. I usually just play audio without a need to see any video.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Bluetooth Acronyms / Features

I found I need to learn what all of the BlueTooth acronyms mean. Long time ago I learned that A2DP is what gave us stereo BT. I remember this being an issue with the early iPhones.

There is another acronym, or feature, that allows us to connect multiple devices to the same BT source. I know this is new mainly because of the Apple and Android wearables. Wish I knew the acronym.

But the newest feature I found was when I bought a new Samsung Galaxy S6. When someone calls me on the phone, it almost sounds like the person is in the car with me. The sound is incredibly clear on my end. It amazes me every time I hear it. I wonder if this is a new feature, and another acronym to learn. Phone calls on my S4 were clear but this is totally amazing. It's like 5.1 sound quality.

Not sure if anyone else has experienced this, but if you figure out the acronyms and what they mean, can you let me know?

Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same experience with playing music through Bluetooth. Any command from my iPhone 6 has around 2-3 seconds delay (Play, Pause, Skip music).

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I have the same experience with playing music through Bluetooth. Any command from my iPhone 6 has around 2-3 seconds delay (Play, Pause, Skip music).
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

I haven't seen any issue with select-ability on BlueTooth, myself. I have only seen this with video and audio.

Maybe others can chime in.

BTW, please tell us more about yourself and what you are driving.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Thanks for your quick response :)
Playing music through iPod connector is fine and without any lag. I am only experiencing it with Bluetooth. For example, when I hit Play button on my iPhone, it take around 2-3 second to start playing music from car speakers.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Thanks for your quick response :)
Playing music through iPod connector is fine and without any lag. I am only experiencing it with Bluetooth. For example, when I hit Play button on my iPhone, it take around 2-3 second to start playing music from car speakers.
Interesting. I wonder if I play YouTube through USB if the delay will disappear. I only have Android, so maybe someone else can advise.

Did you get the tech or advance, elite package? Not sure it that matters. It will be interesting to see what the others say.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts