Acura TLX Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Acura is planning a massive media push to promote the TLX. It will involve TV, live sports, online video and other digital ad media. I found the quote from Acura's brand manager Mike Accavitti pretty funny. He said, "It's not like we have a bad reputation that we need to overcome. It's just we have a nondescript reputation."

The ad campaign's tag line will be "It's that kind of thrill." The ads are meant to highlight the TLX's sporty performance, and technologies, like Siri Free iPhone integration and its AWD system.

40% of the campaign's budget will be spent on broadcast TV and online streaming video of the same commercial clips. A third of the budget will be spent on digital ads, and 21% will buy time on sports braodcasts, including a month long sponsorship of college football highlights on ESPN. The rest is a mix of out-of-home and other areas. Homepage takeovers on yahoo and msn are also planned.

·
Registered
727 Posts
At least it seems like they're really going to try pushing their marketing efforts. They should also go right to the people with the TLX's and give them some seat time.

·
Registered
228 Posts
At least it seems like they're really going to try pushing their marketing efforts. They should also go right to the people with the TLX's and give them some seat time.
I think that a robust test drive program would be a great idea for the TLX. Lincoln has their date night program where they give people money for dinner and let them take out a Lincoln for the evening. I think it's a genius idea. If they can get people into the car, they can feel how great the drive is for themselves and I bet Acura will be able to sell quite a few.

·
Registered
727 Posts
It would be good if Acura does something like what Lincoln did.

Even just showing up to events that would have people that can afford these and setting up a driving course would also be a good idea.

·
Registered
430 Posts
You know what I like about this above all, Acura is being honest about who their target demo is. None of this well we're going for a non existant and underfunded youth movement, no sirs, Acura knows where its dollars lay and is actively attacking them.

Good for them, we could use more of this straight up positioning in the industry...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You know what I like about this above all, Acura is being honest about who their target demo is. None of this well we're going for a non existant and underfunded youth movement, no sirs, Acura knows where its dollars lay and is actively attacking them.

Good for them, we could use more of this straight up positioning in the industry...
How do you figure that other companies are not doing this? Seems like marketing and advertising 101 to target the right demographic. Why would you advertise to people who are not going to buy your product?

·
Registered
430 Posts
How do you figure that other companies are not doing this? Seems like marketing and advertising 101 to target the right demographic. Why would you advertise to people who are not going to buy your product?
What things seem are not always as they are. I'm sure you've heard that just about every company under the sun is targeting youthful, millennial clientele. The next generation! I'm sure because you cant miss it, just about every company is shouting it from the roof tops. If you're paying attention you will quickly realize its a lie.

Mercedes said they would be selling the CLA to young people, you know who's buying it? Older people who are either downsizing from something larger or could never afford a Mercedes before. Oh sure there are a few "young people" who bought it, but they are not carrying the volume. Just start looking at the people who drive CLA's and tell me who they are, 7/10 times its a middle aged woman.

Honda Element is perhaps the best case EVER. It was supposed to be for surfer, mountain bike, rugged, go camping type of young people. You know who bought it? Elderly people who liked to go antiquing.

Blackberry, traditionally for the enterprise market, decided they were going to start marketing enterprise level phones to teenage girls...

There is a difference between who you want to buy and who actually buys. IF you've ever worked in or even studied marketing you would know that far too often the want is paraded in front of the actual to the detriment of the product.

·
Registered
251 Posts
What things seem are not always as they are. I'm sure you've heard that just about every company under the sun is targeting youthful, millennial clientele. The next generation! I'm sure because you cant miss it, just about every company is shouting it from the roof tops. If you're paying attention you will quickly realize its a lie.

Mercedes said they would be selling the CLA to young people, you know who's buying it? Older people who are either downsizing from something larger or could never afford a Mercedes before. Oh sure there are a few "young people" who bought it, but they are not carrying the volume. Just start looking at the people who drive CLA's and tell me who they are, 7/10 times its a middle aged woman.

Honda Element is perhaps the best case EVER. It was supposed to be for surfer, mountain bike, rugged, go camping type of young people. You know who bought it? Elderly people who liked to go antiquing.

Blackberry, traditionally for the enterprise market, decided they were going to start marketing enterprise level phones to teenage girls...

There is a difference between who you want to buy and who actually buys. IF you've ever worked in or even studied marketing you would know that far too often the want is paraded in front of the actual to the detriment of the product.
Sometimes the people that they target aren't the people who buy the most of the product. They reach out to the people who they want to target and who are most difficult to convince. Older folks are already going to buy the TLX, but its other people that they have to convince.

Commercials should be out on August 17th.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Sometimes the people that they target aren't the people who buy the most of the product. They reach out to the people who they want to target and who are most difficult to convince. Older folks are already going to buy the TLX, but its other people that they have to convince.
So you're advocating mixed messaging? I don't know where you got older folks from, casually I'd say the core demo is mid 20s-early 40's, professional. That demographic is under heavy assault, with a myriad of products available and even more messaging inundating us.

Acura needs to speak to these people lest they risk losing them. Just like every other facet of business, marketing is subject to ROI. I'm sure they could come up with clever and creative advertising aligning the TLX with the feminist movement if they really wanted but what is the ROI on the budget?

There is no such thing as a free lunch.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.