Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

It has been a long while since the 2015 Acura TLX first arrived in customers' hands. Since then the TLX has enjoyed mainly positive reviews. Reviews have recognized the vehicle for its beautiful interior, great fuel economy, sporty handling, and amazing value. Of course, no car is perfect and the TLX has had its share of issues and complaints. I have to say that many of these complaints are subjective though. That means that negative impressions can be a very subjective thing with the TLX. I thought I'd lay out some of the issues that have been raised about the TLX, and in doing so we might get a better understanding of just how great this vehicle is.

The biggest issue that the 2015 Acura TLX has faced since its launch was an initial transmission related recall. The ZF outsourced 9-speed transmission was recalled by Acura pretty quickly after launch. Customers complained that the TLX SH-AWD 9-speed down shifts too aggressively when coming to a stop of switching from "normal" to "sport" mode. This also had people complaining of a loss of power when cornering at times. This issue should be completely resolved at this point because of the recall though.

Another point of complaint for the Acura TLX is its infotainment system and center dash array. With two screens, confusing controls and illogical menus, the system really isn't as good as it could be. One review calls the TLX's infotainment system, "the most bewildering system since the original BMW iDrive due to its multiple screens and myriad buttons." Not exactly what a sedan that really touts its technology wants to hear. People on our forum, however, mention that the system is only difficult until you learn to use it. @fenderstrat69 said, "I actually liked it but it did take a little while to figure out where everything was." So while the system may not have the easiest learning curve, I think that practice makes perfect with this issue.

Other issues are really not a matter of a problem with the TLX, but rather a problem of consumer expectations. For example, some have wrote that they are disappointed with the acceleration, but the TLX is more of a luxury sedan and not a sport car. Others don't like the electric emergency brake, which I also see as a subjective determination. Still others have called the climate control system drafty and cold on long drives. While I have read a few complaints about vents and the climate system, it seems these problems are limited and, again, may be a subjective issue.

So the TLX does have some problems. I think the most prominent of these is the infotainment system, but that can be overcome with some practice. Most other problems are simply in the eye of the beholder.

Is that the impression you get as well, or are there any deeper problems that I missed?

·
Registered
666 Posts
A well written attempt to summarize the impressions of the TLX, but there are gaps and overstated comments. The first of these is the suggestion about the transmission recall (parking pawl). This was well handled by Acura and I have not seen one post of an owner complaining about it. It was bad PR for Acura but really a non-issue. Compare that to the complaints about the 8-spped transmission and many cases of lemon law, and the jerkiness of the 9-speed. Those are two separate serious problems that affect a small number of vehicles. There have not been any official announced fixes for either but that may be imminent or available on request rather than as part of a recall.

The infortainment and electronic shifter are technical features that may or may not stand the test of time. Elimination of buttons and use of the touch screen alsoo fall into this category. They each challenge the conventional and are therefore targets for criticism.

Like any other car there are individual problem most of which can be resolved under warranty. Fortunately, none of these is or have been a problem for me, so my rating for it is excellent.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I'm just thankful they got it more right with the TLX than they did with the ILX, finally the ILX is what it should have been since its original release

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
That's a great write up. I can say after a few weeks with the car it's exactly what I expected especially after spending some time here in the forum before I leased the car.

I find the infotainment system isn't really that hard to understand but that could be because I came from a '13 Honda. There are a lot of similarities between the two as far as menu structures go.

Overall I'm very happy with the car. It's very quiet and comfortable. I look forward to a long highway drive.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
The infotainment might be initially difficult to use and to setup but once that's done you really don't have to touch anything. It took me a few good days to set it up with my fob. To set it up for my wife, after I've learned everything took 10 minutes lol. If you,really play with it, you might even find features you didn't know about. I recently discovered that you can change the colors of the 2 lcds, blur, green, red and amber. The Acuralink app works great for setting up the navi. You just send the car the info instead of searching for it on the navi. Phone presets so you don't have to voice dial, etc.

I don't give too much thought to these reviews simply because the drivers don't spend enough to time behind the wheel to really learn the car.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I share the overall opinion of the initial post. The sport sedan is very pleasing overall in many categories. I was able to drive it today for the first time in a week (medical home confinement). Man did that feel good! I like a feature that I just came upon inadvertently today. On the touch screen, I can press the temperature readout and immediately have the option for engaging "Max Heat" or "Max Cool" without changing the pre-set temperature.:cool:

Still lovin' it!

Reactions: Summest

·
Registered
681 Posts
A logical and well written post!

With respect to the transmission challenges, i agree with @TLX2014. I have subtle concerns on my 9 speed; the forums are full of 8 speed concerns. We will see how Acura hhandles it, i would suggest these are the primary issues without a recall.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Just don't test drive a new ILX after driving the TLX. I did. I couldn't believe how noisy the car was. Very loud engine noise and not pleasant at all. What a relief to get back in the TLX.

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Was that the 2016 or 2015 ILX? I've never driven either. I was just curious with the updated model if they may have addressed the issues you're talking about.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Was that the 2016 or 2015 ILX? I've never driven either. I was just curious with the updated model if they may have addressed the issues you're talking about.
Yeah...I went to the Acura dealer with the purpose of driving the ILX, so, of course, I drove that first. I had no intent on even looking at the TLX. The ILX ride was jumpier than I cared for and the audible sounds were at a greater level than I was hoping for. Being that I no longer change my cars with the frequency of years past, I felt I needed quieter car with a more "mature" ride. The TLX is plenty sporty enough for me, yet allows me to host guests on those occasions that call for it (but really....stay outta my car!).

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Personally I think the ILX is kinda redundant being that it is fancy a Civic Si and also since you can get a 4 cylinder TLX for around the same price.

I'd like to see a new version of the RSX. Turbo the 4, proper mechanical LSD, all the TLX tech, Brembos, 6mt. Yummy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Personally I think the ILX is kinda redundant being that it is fancy a Civic Si and also since you can get a 4 cylinder TLX for around the same price.

I'd like to see a new version of the RSX. Turbo the 4, proper mechanical LSD, all the TLX tech, Brembos, 6mt. Yummy.
The primary difference, for me, is that the ILX has an automatic tranny with paddle shifters rather than the Si that has only a manual shifter available. I just couldn't see being in commute traffic all week pumping a clutch...

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
I just came from an Si and the stiffness and the noise is why I got rid of it. It works exactly the way it's supposed to but it just wasn't for me long term. It was a blast to drive though.

·
Registered
228 Posts

That could be a really fun vehicle. I'm not sure how big the market is for performance luxury vehicles of that size. I support, but I question if it would make financial sense for Acura. Would they see enough return for their investment?

·
Registered
727 Posts
I just came from an Si and the stiffness and the noise is why I got rid of it. It works exactly the way it's supposed to but it just wasn't for me long term. It was a blast to drive though.
Yeah that's the problem with Honda's, that's for those who see it as a problem, but I think it's something a lot overlook for all the perks naturally come with owning a Honda.

It's usually those that come from higher end vehicles that notice them the most.

Did you test drive any other luxury sedans before deciding on the TLX?

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Yeah that's the problem with Honda's, that's for those who see it as a problem, but I think it's something a lot overlook for all the perks naturally come with owning a Honda.

It's usually those that come from higher end vehicles that notice them the most.

Did you test drive any other luxury sedans before deciding on the TLX?

No. My brand loyalty lies with Honda/Acura. I would have gone with the Accord but I wanted AWD. I'm very happy with the TLX. It's exactly what I expected from Acura. I have driven the MDX as well as the RLX at an Acura event last summer. I really enjoyed both of those as well.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
My brand loyalty knows no bounds. Honda, VW, back to Honda, Mini (huge mistake lol), Hyundai (awesome and still have one) now Acura.

I did test drive a few Audi and Bimmers, but for the money the TLX beat them all. I also have zero interest in "keeping up with the Jones's" by having a Euro car in the driveway.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Acura navigation leaves a lot to be desired - Search POIs

So the TLX does have some problems. I think the most prominent of these is the infotainment system, but that can be overcome with some practice. Most other problems are simply in the eye of the beholder.

Is that the impression you get as well, or are there any deeper problems that I missed?
Acura navigation leaves a lot to be desired, especially when searching downloaded points (POIs). If the vehicle is stopped at a red light, we can see an alphabetized list of these points. The dial is used to select them. That sometimes means a lot of dial turning before we see something that begins with the letter "S" or "T," for example. By then the red light has turned green and people behind us are honking. I had to go back to using my Garmin which allows me to enter the first letter of the listed points I need to access. Acura needs a software update to do the same. So far I have not been able to figure out a way around this software issue.
Those considering buying an Acura need to check to see if a software update for this function has been provided.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts