Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For me the text message feature does not work. But I have seen posts here of people with the same phone apparently having no issues, so I thought I would try to gather some data:

I have a Samsung Galaxy S4 on Android 4.4.2. My TLX has the software update installed. When a text message comes in I get the notification, but if I select to have it read the "read" button highlights for a bit then goes back to normal but no sound comes out. I have also tried my wife's Galaxy S5 with the same failure.

If you are having success with a Samsung phone I would appreciate the details of your situation. Probably would also be useful to hear from people for whom the feature does not work.

BTW, according to the handsfree site it SHOULD work!

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Text messaging works fine for me. I didn't realize it was set up the first time the car said to me, "Do you want me to read your message now" or something to that effect.

I have a Galaxy S4 that worked fine on 4.4.2. I then received 4.4.4 and it still works. I have not been into the dealer for my NAV/HF/ELS update. I figured I will get the update on my first oil change.

I can also reply to the text with canned replies.

Good luck. The only configuring I did was to pair the phone's bluetooth to the car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also have the S4 and it's hit and miss. Sometimes it reads it and sometimes it doesn't i'm not sure why that is. It seems to tell me there is a txt and then a few seconds later it says who it's from with the option to Read or Ignore. When i hit Read before it displayed the number of the person txting me it seems to freeze and the just disapear.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"I also have the S4 and it's hit and miss"

Do you have the TLX software update?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Interesting comments, I have a Iphone 5S and this text option don't seem to work yet on mine. I did check that it was set to on, but no luck so far to have it working..

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I got it to work!!!!!

I un-paired the phone both at the phone and at the vehicle. Then I re-paired it with the phone in my hands. When it paired the phone asked me if I wanted to allow retrieval of text messages. Answered "yes" to that (and to allowing it to sync my address book.)

I did not see that request the first time I paired the phone. Maybe I was not looking at the correct time.

Now the car will retrieve all my text messages and let me "read" them. I have all the canned response possibilities as well. Have not yet tested actually receiving a text--time to go borrow my wife's phone....

[later]

When I did the experiment with sending a text via my wife's phone I noticed something else that is probably relevant. The message asking if I want to allow the text messages to be retrieved came up when I started the car. There is a check box so that the phone will not ask again which I have now checked. I suspect that the "default" answer to the question is "no" whereas the default to the similar question about importing the phone book must be "yes" since that worked even though I had not (apparently) been answering the question.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I got it to work!!!!!

I un-paired the phone both at the phone and at the vehicle. Then I re-paired it with the phone in my hands. When it paired the phone asked me if I wanted to allow retrieval of text messages. Answered "yes" to that (and to allowing it to sync my address book.)

I did not see that request the first time I paired the phone. Maybe I was not looking at the correct time.

Now the car will retrieve all my text messages and let me "read" them. I have all the canned response possibilities as well. Have not yet tested actually receiving a text--time to go borrow my wife's phone....

[later]

When I did the experiment with sending a text via my wife's phone I noticed something else that is probably relevant. The message asking if I want to allow the text messages to be retrieved came up when I started the car. There is a check box so that the phone will not ask again which I have now checked. I suspect that the "default" answer to the question is "no" whereas the default to the similar question about importing the phone book must be "yes" since that worked even though I had not (apparently) been answering the question.
Fantastic! That is great news. You give others hope. :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
I got it to work!!!!!

[later]

Thanks for the review and test. I will try that tomorrow.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I find the feature completely worthless. I'm on the highway what it pops up for 45 mins each way to work and it wants me to be in park to read it. That's such a pisser. The other day I finally made it to a light, put it in park then thought I could press the button then bump it back into drive... nope.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I find the feature completely worthless. I'm on the highway what it pops up for 45 mins each way to work and it wants me to be in park to read it. That's such a pisser. The other day I finally made it to a light, put it in park then thought I could press the button then bump it back into drive... nope.
Does the system ask you if you want your message read? Or do you prefer to read the message yourself?

A lot of the features on the ELS/NAV become disabled when the car is in motion. Someone decided that the act of reading your mail while driving might cause an accident.

On my system, I am allowed to press the confirmation to go ahead and read my message out loud. I find that option quite useful, as in the past I would wait till I was in the parking lot before checking my text messages. I find the canned responses are convenient as well. That's my two cents. :)

·
Premium Member
4,998 Posts
Honda has been making their systems like this since at least '13. If the car is in motion, it will alert you that there is a message and asks if you want it read out loud or not. Once the car is stopped it will also give the option to display the message so you can see it. It's all part of what they figure is a safety feature.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Honda has been making their systems like this since at least '13. If the car is in motion, it will alert you that there is a message and asks if you want it read out loud or not. Once the car is stopped it will also give the option to display the message so you can see it. It's all part of what they figure is a safety feature.
Clearly a feature of the tech models with their sound systems, not in base models.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Some more clues as to when this works and not.

I have found that if I try to access text messages too soon after starting the car I get a failure. So I presume there is a bit of hand shaking that has to complete before things are fully setup. Things work if sufficient time has elapsed.

Not really a problem, I think, since normally I would not expect to be getting text messages at just that point in time.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Clearly a feature of the tech models with their sound systems, not in base models.
No, all Acura's have that feature from around 13' new generation models and onwards. So any Acura redesigned in or after 2013 has it standard, its a feature of the blutooth tech not based on the actual Tech packages. I drove a base 2013 ILX for a bit and it was on that too, no leather seats...but it reads you text!

So basically every car in their lineup now has it as standard.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
On the TLX there is a system setting for message reading. It can be set to TEXT only, in which case it will NOT let you do anything when moving. Set it to AUTO or READ.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts