·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woohoo! Take your time at the dealer!
Well folks, I did end up test driving the following:

TLX 2.4L - Tech

TLX 3.5 - AWD Tech

Some initial thoughts - I found the 3.5 AWD Tech was very powerful and engaging. You really felt engaged on the road. I did notice that when rpms went from 2-3, you definitely felt the gears shifting...now I am not sure if this by design - it did not feel rough but it was definitely noticeable. I am not sure what to think of this - it did make me feel more engaged on the road. I thought the drive felt really good too - like I was actually doing something on the road...not sure if that makes any sense (kind of hard to explain) In the 15-20 minutes I did not find any glaring issues. As silly as this sounds I liked the push button shifting :p

The 2.4L was very smooth - I did not find any shifting issues. Grant it I only test drove the car for approximately 20 mins.

The 2.4L seemed very practical. of course not as powerful - but still engaging and peppy. I did not find the handling as inspiring as the AWD - but that was to be expected. However, I found the 2.4L would do everything I needed as a DD. For me personally I feel the 3.5L AWD would just be extra gravy (again this is for me personally - no offense to anyone who has the 3.5L AWD) I am not sure if I need the extra power and extra performance handling. I actually don't speed often (I'm a cruise control type of guy) and usually follow the flow of traffic. I also drive into heavy traffic (That's life in the Greater Toronto Area) so I am not sure I'll get a chance to really use the power and handling of the 3.5L AWD.

The practical in me says all I need is the 2.4....but the 3.5 AWD is pulling me..and I can't understand why.....sigh....

So I have some decisions to make and I still have to convince the better half. I probably will go on a much longer test drive.

Thanks to everyone for their input and assistance.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I also text drove both the 2.4 Tech and the 3.5 sh-awd with Tech earlier this week and I found my experience is bit different than TLXorNot. Just to give a bit of my background, currently diving a 2014 civic ex (POS) as daily driver for winter and rainly days in summer. Prior to the civic, I drove a X6 35i for 3 years and 335i for almost 4 years. And I drove mostly Acura (integra, RSX, TSX) before the bimmers days and my wife has a 14 MDX.

I found the 3.5 sh-awd is too heavy and somewhat disconnect to the road. Much like a jacked up MDX without the body lean in corners.

The 2.4 to me is much more lively and engage to drive. It felt like a sport sedan compare to the 3.5 sh-awd, but either TLX is still no match to the BMW.

The only reason I am considering the 3.5 sh-awd is for my winter driving condition and the price is a lot cheaper than the Germans.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I also text drove both the 2.4 Tech and the 3.5 sh-awd with Tech earlier this week and I found my experience is bit different than TLXorNot. Just to give a bit of my background, currently diving a 2014 civic ex (POS) as daily driver for winter and rainly days in summer. Prior to the civic, I drove a X6 35i for 3 years and 335i for almost 4 years. And I drove mostly Acura (integra, RSX, TSX) before the bimmers days and my wife has a 14 MDX.

I found the 3.5 sh-awd is too heavy and somewhat disconnect to the road. Much like a jacked up MDX without the body lean in corners.

The 2.4 to me is much more lively and engage to drive. It felt like a sport sedan compare to the 3.5 sh-awd, but either TLX is still no match to the BMW.

The only reason I am considering the 3.5 sh-awd is for my winter driving condition and the price is a lot cheaper than the Germans.
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see you made your first post.

The SH-AWD is definitely a plus in snowy climates. Since I don't see snow on my drive to work I went with the I4 for the reasons you mentioned.

Can't argue with you about being no match for a BMW, since I never owned/drove a BMW.
:D

·
Registered
727 Posts

What winter tires are you running?
Welcome :)

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got Blizzaks MS80 for the civic and DMV-1for my wife's MDX. I tried the x-ice II before and I found them not as good on slush.

·
Registered
666 Posts
The practical in me says all I need is the 2.4....but the 3.5 AWD is pulling me..and I can't understand why.....sigh....

So I have some decisions to make and I still have to convince the better half. I probably will go on a much longer test drive.

Thanks to everyone for their input and assistance.
Your style of driving is similar to mine so I can relate to your dilemma. There is an inherent marketing and social attraction to wanting rather than needing the SH-AWD - bragging rights and it has a badge on the rear that shows off what you have. Only you can decide on want versus need.

I only needed the I4 but wanted all the bells and whistles (nanny features as some call it) of the Elite, and this was not available with the I4. My previous drive was a FWD TL and the current V6-PAWS works just fine for me in Toronto. There may max of a few occasions per year where the SH-AWD might be nice to have, but I have managed quite well for many years of driving without it.

The I4-Tech with winter tires should suit you perfectly, and if you want the additional features then I recommend the V6-PAWS Elite.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Interesting. I do admit I did not test drive the car long enough. I will keep your discoveries in mind on my next test drive!

Also here is an opinion on AWD and winter driving:

Does All-wheel Drive Actually Help In Winter Driving? - Wheels.ca

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Your style of driving is similar to mine so I can relate to your dilemma. There is an inherent marketing and social attraction to wanting rather than needing the SH-AWD - bragging rights and it has a badge on the rear that shows off what you have. Only you can decide on want versus need.

I only needed the I4 but wanted all the bells and whistles (nanny features as some call it) of the Elite, and this was not available with the I4. My previous drive was a FWD TL and the current V6-PAWS works just fine for me in Toronto. There may max of a few occasions per year where the SH-AWD might be nice to have, but I have managed quite well for many years of driving without it.

The I4-Tech with winter tires should suit you perfectly, and if you want the additional features then I recommend the V6-PAWS Elite.
Nice to know someone with the same frame of thinking lol! Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
3 Posts

·
Registered
979 Posts
welcome, noticed your from my area too. when your ready to buy call up barrie acura, they beat pricing on both north toronto and maple acura.

i had a FWD v6 loaner back when my tsx was in for service, and while it was a nice car, lots of power, but i felt that the front end was too heavy. the car understeered quite a bit too compared to the I-4.

my view on it was that for a daily driver, 200hp is more than enough, and with the dual clutch, you can downshift two gears very quickly. the V6 is nice don't get me wrong and i'd love one with SH-AWD, but the I-4 makes the car feel a bit more balanced imo.

i'm a firm believer on a good set of winter tires and always driving fwd with dedicated winter tires i've never had a problem. i actually towed a friends WRX on all seasons out of a snow bank with my RSX haha.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
If I can drive my lowered 3.8 Genesis in the winter, then ANYTHING else will do just fine.

Good set of snows, some patience and common sense.

Im real curious how the SH-AWD performs in the winter. Im kinda suprised with the different IDS modes that snow/wet/etc isnt one.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I am sure most of us here have driven both but unfortunately if you test drove the TLX-SHAWD with the stock tires the drive did the AWD system a disservice. Forget about winter driving, AWD with the right rubber in corners is a very engaging experience. I got the launch package which came with 19" rims and Michelin PS2 Supersports. The difference with the right rubber is very significant.

Reactions: MTD

·
Registered
164 Posts
I tested a SH-AWD Advance and my I4 Tech. The SH-AWD was a blast to drive and so it the I4 but for different reasons. I think that the I4 feels a lot lighter on it's feet given less weight over the front wheels but plant your foot in the SH-AWD and hold on. I also thought that the two suspensions were tuned differently. Maybe just due to the additional weight of the 6. Either way, I thought that the SH-AWD seemed to be more of a luxurious feeling car and that the I4 was more toss-able but with an obvious power deficit to the 6. What really swayed me towards the SH-AWD Advance was the addition of the options not available on my Tech. Adaptive cruise and ventilated seats mostly. Couldn't justify the additional 6-8 grand over the cost of the Tech 4. Just my 2 cents. Give the world ventilated seats, for gawds sakes!!!!

·
Registered
666 Posts
Either way, I thought that the SH-AWD seemed to be more of a luxurious feeling car and that the I4 was more toss-able but with an obvious power deficit to the 6.
Mission accomplished by Acura! i4 meets the demand at the lower price point and a path for the TSX owners, while the SH-AWD Advance fills the niche for the higher end and a path for TL owners.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I love my I4 Tech. :x

When I first test drove a TLX all they had in stock was the V6. I held out for the four. Besides price, you can still have an affection for the I4 or the V6. I don't consider it toss-able or deficient in power. I drive like a madman at times, although I should not be proud of it. :)

I also like not having to worry about car wash mode or ignition cutoff at the stop light. Each model has advantages. Pick the one you like and don't look back, unless it is for cops. :eek:

·
Registered
164 Posts
I love my I4 Tech. :x

When I first test drove a TLX all they had in stock was the V6. I held out for the four. Besides price, you can still have an affection for the I4 or the V6. I don't consider it toss-able or deficient in power. I drive like a madman at times, although I should not be proud of it. :)

I also like not having to worry about car wash mode or ignition cutoff at the stop light. Each model has advantages. Pick the one you like and don't look back, unless it is for cops. :eek:
I need to clarify a couple of things:

I said that the I4 had a power deficit to the 6. I didn't say it was deficient. It it was, I would have passed. I find the 4 is more than adequate for me. Also, I think that toss-able is a good thing. Easier to drive quickly through mountain roads, having less weight over the front wheels makes for an entertaining drive. SPH has it's own attributes of being all wheel drive. It too has a purpose.

This is the humble opinion of one person. It's not meant to offend anyone or incite riots. :D

·
Registered
164 Posts
Mission accomplished by Acura! i4 meets the demand at the lower price point and a path for the TSX owners, while the SH-AWD Advance fills the niche for the higher end and a path for TL owners.
True that however I bucked the trend. I drove a 2012 TL Advance FWD before my TLX.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the V6 PAWS and really love that engine. I do have to agree with the poster who said the stock tires are garbage though. I think when I'm done with these I'm going to spring for Michelins.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I too have the V6 Paws, and I also love that engine. The transmission does have its quirks, but I've learned to drive with it and it doesn't seem to be as jerky as when I first got the car. There are times when the transmission has its moments though, like sport+. I honestly try to find excuses to drive my car around, it seems like there's not enough time during my normal drives to enjoy all the car has to offer.

The stock tires are a joke, and with all that power going to those front wheels, they spin like crazy in sport+. Since getting my wheels, which are 9" wide, I got some Hankook Ventus V12 Evo2s in 245 wide and they are so much better.

I did get a loaner for about 4 days and it was the i4. I didn't even test drive that engine and never gave it a chance, but it changed my mind. I actually felt the weight difference, I also noticed the paws really helped the car feel very agile. I almost felt like the V6 was too heavy to be driving with that paws system, but it definitely helps out when I'm U-turning. I recently got coilovers and let me tell you that, lowering the car made it feel perfect in terms of handling. I don't get that massive under steer I felt when it was stock height, it seems much more planted. If I knew I was going to stay stock I probably would have opted for the i4.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I also text drove both the 2.4 Tech and the 3.5 sh-awd with Tech earlier this week and I found my experience is bit different than TLXorNot.... [snip]

The 2.4 to me is much more lively and engage to drive. It felt like a sport sedan compare to the 3.5 sh-awd
I had the exact same reaction after test driving both. Of course, I am coming off a 2011 TSX i4, so maybe I am more used to the feel of that engine. In the end, I elected the 2.4, i4 w/Tech instead of any of the V6 models primarily due to my fear of all those 9 speed transmission issues (I hear there is a class action lawsuit in progress now over them) and the higher cost.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts