Acura TLX Forum banner

Technology Package - Get it or not?

45K views 51 replies 18 participants last post by  Summest 
#1 ·
I am sold on the 4-cylinder in Basque Red Pearl II but I am still deciding between the base and the Technology Package. I really don't need a GPS, but the other options are very nice add-ons.

If money was no factor, I would get a NSX. I am not sure if the $4K add-ons are needed. Can someone convince me one way or the other? :)

Summest.

#2 ·
Since most smartphones offer free navigation apps these days it would be silly to spend that much just for navigation. But the Tech package is loaded with so much more.

I think the active safety features alone make the Tech package worth it.

Lane keeping assistance/Lane departure warning
Blind spot monitoring
Forward collision warning
Rear cross traffic alert

Plus you get real leather seating instead of leatherette. Some brands charge as much just for the leather seats...

If it were me, I would go for the Tech package. But now that you mentioned it, just save up for the NSX!

#3 ·
Technology Package

Since most smartphones offer free navigation apps these days it would be silly to spend that much just for navigation. But the Tech package is loaded with so much more.

I think the active safety features alone make the Tech package worth it.

Lane keeping assistance/Lane departure warning
Blind spot monitoring
Forward collision warning
Rear cross traffic alert

Plus you get real leather seating instead of leatherette. Some brands charge as much just for the leather seats...

If it were me, I would go for the Tech package. But now that you mentioned it, just save up for the NSX!
I am nearly certain that I will get the Technology Package. I was coming to the same conclusion. Three more speakers would be nice as well.

#5 ·
Not sure if I would opt for the Tech package either. Would love to have the premium ELS sound system, leather and power folding side mirrors (just for cool). But not a must for me. Don't care much for the safety features either.

If the leatherette and default sound system is good enough, I'd settle for that.

Wonder how more amazing the ELS is...

#6 ·
Once you have a car that has the features it becomes pretty convincing! And the ONE time one of those features saves you from a potential accident it becomes worth the entire cost.

Base on my recent additions I'm a little biased though... :)

Reactions: tino
#7 ·
You are right. That's what I was thinking too. Under perfect conditions, we may not need the safety stuff but for that one time when their usefulness manifests itself, we'd be glad we have them.

And I think it's quite a good deal particularly, for Canadians -- they are paying roughly $4K for the Tech, just like their American cousins are paying.

#9 ·
I admit that I like XM also....nice to have. Just don't pay full price for XM.....they will give it to you for just about any price you ask for. I have never paid the monthly rate. Annual payment of $88...do not give a credit card. I ask for an invoice to be sent and pay with check. I know others who pay even less for XM, but $88 was what I paid first year, so I just offer that each year at renewal.

#11 ·
I have done the same negotiation for 7 years. I call them a week b/f the year is up and tell them to cancel. They transfer me to the "cancellation" dept where they offer you anything to stay. I offer to pay a one time $88 fee (don't let them add on taxes/etc). They accept. We repeat each September. I like XM but it is not worth full price in my opinion. Now they have DJs that talk too much and ****....its radio. With the new cars having HD and Pandora, I don't think that I will keep XM (if/when I get a TLX) unless they make it less than $50/year. I am going to ask for free traffic this year too. Again, which apps like GoogleMaps and Waze, all of this is free on your phone anyway. If I had XM stock....I would be selling!

#12 ·
Brilliant, fully intend to try this now :D But I'm in agreement, the viability of said services is severly dwindling. Their value proposition is eroded by the HD services and Internet radios. I mean even the proliferation of podcasts contributes, especially with auto download features theres just no need to go to Sirius/XM any longer...

#15 ·
I like XM, but it has changed over the years. They used to be all music with no ads and no DJs talking. Now they have lots of chatter between songs. Not a big deal, but all music with no DJ chatter is why I kept XM. I used to also get XM on my home computer for free....came with the car subscription. Now they charge separately. At least they will negotiate and you can get a good package deal for a fair price.

#21 ·
for me, the Tech package would be a no brainer. Sirius/XM is really easy to negotiate with; just call and cancel the service. Or at least try to - 'cause trust me, they will do anything to keep you as a PAYING subscriber. I got my wife's TSX (XM) down to $6/month and my GTI (Sirius) is around $5. 1 year contract on both of those. Of course, the biggest pisser out of all this is the fact that I cannot do both these cars on ONE CONTRACT! Oh **** no - even though it's been the same **** company for a LONG time now, no joy. 2 separate charges. TO THE SAME FRIGGIN' CREDIT CARD AND SAME PERSON AT THE SAME FRIGGIN' ADDRESS!!!

sorry [\rant]

#28 ·
I ordered the base level TLX without the tech package but just saw the V6 with the leather interior which looked great. I don't need the navigation, but think it would be nice to have the front collision warning, especially considering the "beak" design of the car. There is no bumper and no room for mistakes..

#34 ·
Dislike Tech Package Content

I'd like to order a red TLX with just leather interior but am saddened to learn you can only get leather by purchasing the Tech package. Unreal. If I could see a car with the leatherette interior I might opt for it and forgo the cost of the Tech package. I'm trying to keep the cost at about $35K. I am also not excited about the standard wheels and find the price of optional wheels very unreasonable. Wish the car came with chrome exhaust tailpipes like the show car included. Disappointed by the rear end treatment.

#35 ·
I am also not excited about the standard wheels and find the price of optional wheels very unreasonable. Wish the car came with chrome exhaust tailpipes like the show car included. Disappointed by the rear end treatment.
I can agree with you on these issues. I haven't seen the standard rims. :eek:

I hope they don't look too cheap. I also can't see spending that much on rims.

I am uncertain if I like the no-tail-pipes look or not. It almost looks neutered.:laugh:

#37 ·
Update on XM renewal....earlier in this thread.

Just renewed my 07 TL for $25/6 months. Very nice lady offered regular rate, then half price, then half of that for 6 months. Told her a friend recently got 6 months for $25 and she said "we can do that". As soon as she was done I told her that I wanted to cancel my wife's plan on her car and get the same deal. She went through the exact same script...I kept saying that it was too expensive, and we ended up at the same deal. So 2 cars for 6 months each at $25. They bill me (never give credit card). Just need to call before auto renew and go through the same song and dance again. Easier to do now since I really don't love XM as much as I used to. In the old days there were no DJs talking...just music. Been "canceling" for 7 years now.

As I said earlier, not sure that I would renew if/when I get TLX. With the streaming of Pandora (and others) and the free traffic that comes with Acura, the tech package takes care of XM.

#42 ·
I can really understand the Tech package being attractive. I was interested in the Tech package really just for the leather seats. I don't need the Nav (my phone is way better and keeps up to date) and the other features didn't interest me. When I saw just how nice the leatherette seats are I was sold on the base model TLX. I touched a car with the leather and leatherette side by side and couldn't tell the difference in texture or softness. The only way you can differentiate the two are the leather material has tiny hole or perforations in the material. For me, it came down to paying over $4,000 just to get leather when the leatherette is fine. I can understand that we have different opinions, but for me I feel like I really got a great value Acura TLX for less than $32K. These days one could easily spend over $40K for a car like this one.

#43 ·
I can understand that we have different opinions, but for me I feel like I really got a great value Acura TLX for less than $32K. These days one could easily spend over $40K for a car like this one.
I can understand and agree with your opinion. That is a good deal.

I was under the same impression at first, but I am now convinced I will get the Tech package. I was uncertain if I would feel I missed-out later. I also like the other features I listed previously. I did learn later that I get the remote start and my clock is set by the NAV system :). I also have a Garmin, but the other items persuaded me to go Tech. I can see and appreciate your reasoning though.

I live in South Florida so I don't really need remote start, but may use it when it gets really hot outside to blast the AC. :)

p.s. You also get album art and voting buttons in Pandora and you can set your wallpaper. :D

#46 ·
My TSX Garmin is well below my sight line, so I like the light-shielded location of the NAV package on the TLX.
I noticed some complaints from the smart phone crowd about having to view two screens.
We computer jocks, however, generally have at least two monitors (mine are dual 24") currently showing the Acura Forum on one and my other internet and work stuff on the other. I don't like small screens like the Garmin which take away from driving concentration.

#51 ·
The Canadian Tech model has a few features that the American one doesn't.
Heated steering wheel, heated rear seats, and remote engine start.
Given the approximate difference in price, 35900 vs 38690, which basically is the currency difference, the Canadian extras are almost free. Nice to see the pricing like this, as opposed to the huge difference we've seen in the past.
The 895 vs 1995 PDI charge still is a bit hard to swallow, but otherwise, this pricing is good news.

#52 ·
2 Weeks Review of Tech Package

It will be 2 weeks tomorrow that I have driven my new TLX.

I am glad you convinced me to get the tech package. There is so much to learn and enjoy. I believe I went through all of the modes of the audio system and the safety features. Now I can just sit back and enjoy the ride, in Sports mode of course.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.