Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sold on the 4-cylinder in Basque Red Pearl II but I am still deciding between the base and the Technology Package. I really don't need a GPS, but the other options are very nice add-ons.

If money was no factor, I would get a NSX. I am not sure if the $4K add-ons are needed. Can someone convince me one way or the other? :)

Summest.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Since most smartphones offer free navigation apps these days it would be silly to spend that much just for navigation. But the Tech package is loaded with so much more.

I think the active safety features alone make the Tech package worth it.

Lane keeping assistance/Lane departure warning
Blind spot monitoring
Forward collision warning
Rear cross traffic alert

Plus you get real leather seating instead of leatherette. Some brands charge as much just for the leather seats...

If it were me, I would go for the Tech package. But now that you mentioned it, just save up for the NSX!

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Technology Package

Since most smartphones offer free navigation apps these days it would be silly to spend that much just for navigation. But the Tech package is loaded with so much more.

I think the active safety features alone make the Tech package worth it.

Lane keeping assistance/Lane departure warning
Blind spot monitoring
Forward collision warning
Rear cross traffic alert

Plus you get real leather seating instead of leatherette. Some brands charge as much just for the leather seats...

If it were me, I would go for the Tech package. But now that you mentioned it, just save up for the NSX!
I am nearly certain that I will get the Technology Package. I was coming to the same conclusion. Three more speakers would be nice as well.

·
Registered
430 Posts
unfortunately I think I will be getting the tech package as well, seems to be the only way to get leather seating... Not really into the safety features I've managed to make it this far without... ;)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not sure if I would opt for the Tech package either. Would love to have the premium ELS sound system, leather and power folding side mirrors (just for cool). But not a must for me. Don't care much for the safety features either.

If the leatherette and default sound system is good enough, I'd settle for that.

Wonder how more amazing the ELS is...

·
Registered
44 Posts
Once you have a car that has the features it becomes pretty convincing! And the ONE time one of those features saves you from a potential accident it becomes worth the entire cost.

Base on my recent additions I'm a little biased though... :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Once you have a car that has the features it becomes pretty convincing! And the ONE time one of those features saves you from a potential accident it becomes worth the entire cost.

Base on my recent additions I'm a little biased though... :)
You are right. That's what I was thinking too. Under perfect conditions, we may not need the safety stuff but for that one time when their usefulness manifests itself, we'd be glad we have them.

And I think it's quite a good deal particularly, for Canadians -- they are paying roughly $4K for the Tech, just like their American cousins are paying.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I admit that I like XM also....nice to have. Just don't pay full price for XM.....they will give it to you for just about any price you ask for. I have never paid the monthly rate. Annual payment of $88...do not give a credit card. I ask for an invoice to be sent and pay with check. I know others who pay even less for XM, but $88 was what I paid first year, so I just offer that each year at renewal.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I admit that I like XM also....nice to have. Just don't pay full price for XM.....they will give it to you for just about any price you ask for. I have never paid the monthly rate. Annual payment of $88...do not give a credit card. I ask for an invoice to be sent and pay with check. I know others who pay even less for XM, but $88 was what I paid first year, so I just offer that each year at renewal.
LOL actually? I've never gone beyond the complimentary as I've never felt it was quite worth the cost, but if they'll take a check for $15 and a pack of bubble gum I'm in :D;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have done the same negotiation for 7 years. I call them a week b/f the year is up and tell them to cancel. They transfer me to the "cancellation" dept where they offer you anything to stay. I offer to pay a one time $88 fee (don't let them add on taxes/etc). They accept. We repeat each September. I like XM but it is not worth full price in my opinion. Now they have DJs that talk too much and ****....its radio. With the new cars having HD and Pandora, I don't think that I will keep XM (if/when I get a TLX) unless they make it less than $50/year. I am going to ask for free traffic this year too. Again, which apps like GoogleMaps and Waze, all of this is free on your phone anyway. If I had XM stock....I would be selling!

·
Registered
430 Posts
I have done the same negotiation for 7 years. I call them a week b/f the year is up and tell them to cancel. They transfer me to the "cancellation" dept where they offer you anything to stay. I offer to pay a one time $88 fee (don't let them add on taxes/etc). They accept. We repeat each September. I like XM but it is not worth full price in my opinion. Now they have DJs that talk too much and ****....its radio. With the new cars having HD and Pandora, I don't think that I will keep XM (if/when I get a TLX) unless they make it less than $50/year. I am going to ask for free traffic this year too. Again, which apps like GoogleMaps and Waze, all of this is free on your phone anyway. If I had XM stock....I would be selling!
Brilliant, fully intend to try this now :D But I'm in agreement, the viability of said services is severly dwindling. Their value proposition is eroded by the HD services and Internet radios. I mean even the proliferation of podcasts contributes, especially with auto download features theres just no need to go to Sirius/XM any longer...

·
Retired Moderator
2,315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean even the proliferation of podcasts contributes, especially with auto download features theres just no need to go to Sirius/XM any longer...
I'm almost there, but I really enjoy the option of listening to good music from coast to coast. US coasts and Florida coasts.

Audible has made a lot of long drives to work enjoyable.

Also, listening to XM on wifi at work helps the day go by much faster and easier.

I also use Tune-in and Pandora, but XM still tops my choice for quality music, but free music is not that bad.

Then there is FM. At least it was there when I last checked many years ago. :)

·
Registered
181 Posts
I like XM, but it has changed over the years. They used to be all music with no ads and no DJs talking. Now they have lots of chatter between songs. Not a big deal, but all music with no DJ chatter is why I kept XM. I used to also get XM on my home computer for free....came with the car subscription. Now they charge separately. At least they will negotiate and you can get a good package deal for a fair price.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I feel like the tech package is necessary. They are marketing the car as having great tech options and features. I think you'd be missing out on a lot by not opting for the tech package.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I feel like the tech package is necessary. They are marketing the car as having great tech options and features. I think you'd be missing out on a lot by not opting for the tech package.
plus tech is one of the top things Acura and Honda have going for them, so in their case it is important, they definitely don't have the best performance, or anything too crazy

·
Registered
430 Posts
Not for anything but thats the point of the marketing message. Advertise the TLX as having X gizmo, Y doohicky and Z will oblige you with a reach around, then turn around and bake X,Y and Z into the most costly package...

The business of business is business ;)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I do the same thing only every 5 months. The cost is $25 plus tax, so around $28.

Does anyone know if the base trim will have heated seats and sunroof? I had 09 TSX and the base trim had all those for under $30K. If so, I'm in.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts