Acura TLX Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of discussion out there... but I've finally found a complete system from a 2018 model. Is it true I can replace my hardware to get working carplay?

Has anyone here actually completed this swap?

Jeff

·
Registered
146 Posts
I' too, have not seen anyone post on converting, probably due to the sheer cost and potential issues; however, from the 'Zine site, user hrpuffnstuff12 says:

"Retrofitting is possible but there are multiple components that would be required and it would not be cheap to do:

1 - Replacement Navi - The new navi's (while same shape and size) have different hardware allowing CP/AA
2 - Replacement upper display - New system uses a different upper display resolution (required for CP/AA)
3 - Replacement jog knob - Not 100% necessary as old jog will work, but buttons are mapped differently. You can still launch smartphone by pressing the Audio key.
4 - New Tuner - Tuner is changed from 18M. the 17M Tuner will not allow XM access. Again not necessary for CP/AA
5 - New CP/AA box - There is a specific box that handles the heavy lifting of the CP/AA that goes between the Navi unit and USB (there are new specific harnesses for this as well) (PN-39095-TZ3-*)
6 - New TCU (AA won't work without it)
7 - New Dash harness (with new connectors) [could potentially splice your way to this]

Everything else should be carryover outside of that, but with all of that alone, its likely to be upwards of 5-6k, Additionally depending on the trim of the Head unit you get, some sensors won't (may not?) work, and the camera may not as well. "

No idea if he/she is correct, but it makes sense to me.

·
Registered
79 Posts
If I'm not mistaken, this has been discussed extensively here:

Basically, one would buy the GROM unit and not try to "port" a newer TLX system into an older model.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks fellas. Upper and lower nav for sale up here in Canada for only $700, but I don't think I could convince the wrecker to pull the right items. Plus the amount of work makes it not worthwhile heh.

·
Registered
483 Posts
I don’t think anyone has mentioned programming. I’m assuming you’d have to reprogram all of the new stuff to work with your car.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts