Acura TLX Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
What is the cause? I bought a brand new 2019 TLX 2 days ago. Happened tonight. 170 miles on the odometer. It disengaged after 5 minutes. Took it to my 30 year relationship dealer. Got a loaner. They said it is a fuse problem. Is it? This is my 6th Acura I still have my 2010 rdx with 212000 miles. My first real issue in 30 years of ownership.
Yeah, could be fuse related: http://www.urvi.net/forumfiles/SB/B19-005.PDF

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hmmm. I don't know about that analogy. A car suddenly stopping, freezing in traffic, throwing all kinds of warnings, that's alarming and dangerous. A dealership needs to take that much more seriously and do some diagnostics.
This just happened to me at 75 mph on interstate. Was able to get off the road but then totally locked. Wouldn't go forward or reverse. Disconnected the battery and it reset the electronics. Talked to acura dealer and they offered no insight into the problem. I have a 2018 acura tlx aspec.

·
Registered
2021 TLX 2.0T ADV/AWD Majestic Black Pearl/Ebony
96 Posts
I'll bet it's the battery. These cars lose their minds when the battery gets off track....and I'm not talking just about output voltage, either.

There's something in the way an AGM battery works that is vastly different from conventional lead-acid batteries, but I'm not the engineer I need to be to understand the phenomenon. I believe, however, that something causes the battery to generate transient high/low voltage or current variations when the cells in the batteries begin to break down as they inevitably must. I think these transients are responsible for the mysterious electronic maladies like the one described by the OP.

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I'll bet it's the battery. These cars lose their minds when the battery gets off track....and I'm not talking just about output voltage, either.

There's something in the way an AGM battery works that is vastly different from conventional lead-acid batteries, but I'm not the engineer I need to be to understand the phenomenon. I believe, however, that something causes the battery to generate transient high/low voltage or current variations when the cells in the batteries begin to break down as they inevitably must. I think these transients are responsible for the mysterious electronic maladies like the one described by the OP.
You are so right about this.

I just went through it. It started off slow with just a few warning problems but it was still drivable. Paid the dealer $200 to " run tests" to tell me that they could not duplicate the problem.

Then the other day I had the lock up with it going through all the warnings one after the other and repeating. Luckily I had just read rbmorse's post the day before. Once the car set awhile and was drivable again, I took the car to 2 different places to have the battery tested and both said that the battery was bad. I replaced the battery and everything has been great since.

It would be nice if when the battery goes bad that Acura would display a message to "CHECK BATTERY!"

21 - 25 of 25 Posts