Acura TLX Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought my TLX 3.5 two weeks ago. The only major complaint is the stereo performance. For a car of this price and additional subwoofer, the stereo does not qualify for disappointment. Any suggestions? Im too old now for after market subs, amps, etc, but really appreciate a very good sounding system. I've heard a better performance from a 1980's cassette boom box. Thanks

·
Registered
251 Posts
Too bad that you don't like the stereo system. Also too bad that you won't invest after market options.

You just don't find the stereo system very crisp?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Search for an old post on optimal settings. They may help.

I believe it is a myth but it is possible that the speakers have a "break in" period. I am generally happy with my ELS even with some XM tracks, and a few CD rips of Reggae music that really shine with thumping bass.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Mine is fine.

Early on, there were a number of posts which suggested that the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) was canceling out the bass.

Go search for the posts about how to turn off ANC and see if that makes a difference for you.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
No issues either. I do find that really bassy music rattles the rear deck though. Different input sources also vary in quality and sound.

What exactly do you find "horrible" about it?

·
Registered
68 Posts
No issues either. I do find that really bassy music rattles the rear deck though. Different input sources also vary in quality and sound.

What exactly do you find "horrible" about it?
Someone posted a while back about how to fix the rear deck rattle. I did it and I can turn it way higher than I used to, it doesn't rattle anymore. The only thing is, now that I can't hear the rear deck rattle, I can now focus on my doors rattle ever so slightly now at high volumes...:eek:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Mine is fine.

Early on, there were a number of posts which suggested that the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) was canceling out the bass.

Go search for the posts about how to turn off ANC and see if that makes a difference for you.

Good Luck.
Turning ANC off helped my car!

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Someone posted a while back about how to fix the rear deck rattle. I did it and I can turn it way higher than I used to, it doesn't rattle anymore. The only thing is, now that I can't hear the rear deck rattle, I can now focus on my doors rattle ever so slightly now at high volumes...:eek:
DIY - Rear Deck Bass rattle - AcuraZine Community
If anyone else wants to try it. I'll give it a go this weekend. Thx.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Just so you know, it was pretty hard to wedge my cut up socks between the plastic tabs and the sheet metal. I have pretty big hands and couldn't fit them in those holes easily. I actually used my panel popper tool since it's tapered at an angle and has the flat head, it fit perfectly and was very useful to make sure the socks were securely wedged in place. I'd bet a large flat head screwdriver would do the trick just as well. Push the sock, or whatever type of material you end up using, as far between the plastic and metal as you can.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I bought my TLX 3.5 two weeks ago. The only major complaint is the stereo performance. For a car of this price and additional subwoofer, the stereo does not qualify for disappointment. Any suggestions? Im too old now for after market subs, amps, etc, but really appreciate a very good sounding system. I've heard a better performance from a 1980's cassette boom box. Thanks
Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post, although a first post with good news would have been better to read. :)

As others have mentioned, use the search tool to find old posts that deal with this issue. Unfortunately, sound quality is not black and white. Good Luck!

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks you a lot !!!

Just done it, as rear deck was rattling with good audio sources event at low volume. Now, I can push the sound a lot without hearing this disturbing rattle !

I found a good test tune for this rattle, playing bass a few minutes, enough to find the right way to fix rattling: https://play.google.com/music/m/Trffnzat2nm2vxht6o72tcxy2py?t=Bass_Test_Tone_58_Hz_-_DJ_Snake

·
Registered
10 Posts
Switching off the ANC made a remarkable difference in the sound quality of my ELS system. Ultimately, the sound system's low frequencies were being cancelled out by the ANC. Sounds quite good now. Not as good as the Fender system in the Passat I just traded, but definitely better than when the car was delivered.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Switching off the ANC made a remarkable difference in the sound quality of my ELS system. Ultimately, the sound system's low frequencies were being cancelled out by the ANC. Sounds quite good now. Not as good as the Fender system in the Passat I just traded, but definitely better than when the car was delivered.
Is ANC really off? Chech it out by revisiting the ANC setting screen.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

Welcome to the Forum! Glad to see your first post. :)

Please tell us more about your TLX and maybe something about yourself.

I've always believed that turning ANC off makes a big difference, but the majority of people try to convince me otherwise. You can really tell the difference when the car is parked with the engine off, hence ANC is off.

The idea about ANC resetting is inconclusive, to me at least. I know when you go back into the settings it says ANC is back on, but does going back into the system, reset it. I haven't found this to be true or not.

I also noticed that setting the volume to 9 or 10 brought out more bass. I usually listen around 7.

I did have my DJ friend adjust the settings to where he thought the system sounded best. He found that the center channel is a bit over driven. I posted his settings in the forum somewhere.

I guess when it comes down to it, what ever sounds the best for you is all that matters, ANC or not. :)

·
Registered
979 Posts
while driving this rental benz c300 for the last week while the TLX is in the shop, the TLX's sound system sounds amazing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Sorry to state the obvious, but you do not mention what trim level you bought. The base model TLX has a different stereo than the Tech/Advance packages. We have no idea what you're talking about unless you define what stereo you have.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Is ANC really off? Chech it out by revisiting the ANC setting screen.
My understanding is that the ANC will turn back on when you revisit the menu, so it will appear that the ANC was not actually "off". For me the difference in sound is so obvious from ANC "off" to ANC "on" that I am confident it is off until I turn it back on. Interestingly, I am picking my car up from the service department today due to a faulty blind spot monitor on the driver's side that required the replacement of the radar module in the driver's side rear bumper. I am wondering if they had to disconnect the battery during the replacement and, if so, if the settings will reset. I will try to determine it by ear on my drive home.

·
Registered
164 Posts
My understanding is that the ANC will turn back on when you revisit the menu, so it will appear that the ANC was not actually "off". For me the difference in sound is so obvious from ANC "off" to ANC "on" that I am confident it is off until I turn it back on. Interestingly, I am picking my car up from the service department today due to a faulty blind spot monitor on the driver's side that required the replacement of the radar module in the driver's side rear bumper. I am wondering if they had to disconnect the battery during the replacement and, if so, if the settings will reset. I will try to determine it by ear on my drive home.
I think that 30 sec low frequency buzz distorts our ear drums that make us think that sound quality has improved after ANC is OFF.
I did not feel any difference before and after turning ANC off, may be it is just me(and few others in this forum).

·
Registered
93 Posts
I have to burn a CD or rip to the HDD, because I play through bluetooth through Spotify and have the volume to 40. I am 33 and came from my cars having ~$500-1000 worth of audio equipment in them so maybe im expecting too much? I should play with some settings on my phone and Spotify volume/equalizer settings? I also turned ANC off and not a big difference if at all.

·
Retired Moderator
2021 TLX
2,334 Posts
I have to burn a CD or rip to the HDD, because I play through bluetooth through Spotify and have the volume to 40.
40? :eek:

I have a hard time going past 10? Do you have the windows down?

I know when I use Bluetooth, I have to max out the Blue Tooth volume on my phone. Since I upgraded to Lollipop (5.0.2) I have to press OK to bypass the disclaimer and warning about excessive volume, everyday since I turn off my phone at night. Once I do this I usually set volume on the car to 7 or 8. I listen to audio books, Pandora and other music over Blue Tooth.

Hope you find a better solution, but whatever works best for you.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts